ETC tournament list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Naesir

ETC tournament list

#1 Post by Naesir »

Hello all :)
Here is the list i am currently playing and suits to my game play.

Lord
Mage 4th lvl
folaraith's robe
silver wand
talisman of saphery

Heroes
Mage 2nd lvl
2 x dispel scrolls

Hero BsB with
Armour of caledor
Guardian phoenix and Great weapon

Core units
2 x 10 Archers
19 spears full command with lion standard

Special units
16 phoenix guards full command with war banner
5 dragon princes full command with banner of ellyrion
2 x 7 swordmaster
6 shadow warriors

Rare untis
2 x eagle claw bolt throwers
2 x great eagles.

As far as i have test that list it is very balanced, with enough magic and dispel and a lot of units that can work together to achieve victory.
The greatest trick on that list is the 2 x 7 swordmasters. If your enemy avoids them they will hit him hard because they support spears and guards.
And offcourse the almost complete invulnerability of my archmage.

W8ing for your opinions for my list.
Last edited by Naesir on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: ETC tournament list

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks very good on the whole.

I think the Mage could do with Seerstaff. Also why 16 PG?
Naesir

#3 Post by Naesir »

SpellArcher wrote:Looks very good on the whole.

I think the Mage could do with Seerstaff. Also why 16 PG?
The idea of not taking seerstaff is to give my AM immunity to close combat attacks in order to protect himself from solo heros, or taking a challenge from a super character and protect the the 2nd lvl mage too.
I am playing 16 PG in a unit with 6 models and 3 ranks.I also put my 2 AM inside. On that way the unit looks weaker than it is, but with war banner it has a nice static resolusion (+4).
It is like a decoy of some short.
Imagine a cavalry unit with a char inside charging my PG. I automatically cut the char attacks by accepting a challenge with my mage. After cc ends i have more possibilities to win the combat.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm more used to five-wide PG but I can see what you're about now.

I meant take Seerstaff on the level 2, your Archmage build looks very good as it is.
Naesir

#5 Post by Naesir »

The problem of taking seerstaff on my lvl2 i that according to ETC rules i must cut 1 pd from the total of 9.So i can use 8.
But with silver wand i already have cut them to 8 meaning i can use a maximum of 7 pd in each magic phase.
With the current setup i generate 8 pd.
Plus i need a scroll cady mage form my defence, just in case i play with magic heavy army just like mine ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Marinero reproduces the 2010 ETC comp on his second thread below and it looks like only knowing the whole of a Lore counts as a PD to me.

I think under a 9PD cap such as this you can get by on just one scroll. You can always go double High if you're concerned.
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Under ETC you can generate as many power dices you want/can, but you are only allowed to USE 9PD. Having the silver wand or seerstaff does not affect the number of PD used.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Marinero

#8 Post by Marinero »

Indeed. Here is the rules link from the official forum for ETC:

http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewt ... 18&t=68226

Seerstaff in no way impedes maximum PD you are allowed to use per phase.

I would also agree with SA and suggest that you give the seerstaff to your lvl 2
Naesir

#9 Post by Naesir »

Ok after some reading and discussing i see you have right for seerstaff on Etc.
Now i want to tell you that i played a couple of battles (4 matches) 2 with empire and 2 with scaven.
The first pair was with my 2nd lvl having the seerstaff and a scroll while the second pair was with the army setup presented on my post, i made my conclusion that having 2 scrolls instead of seerstaff is in better use especially when you play against magic heavy armies like skaven.
It isn't very important of knowing 2 specific spells on my 2nd lvl because his job is to eats opponents DD using the first spell on the lore he choose (in my case with empire lore of metal a simple s(tr8 - As) hit with no As or using drain magic against a magic heavy army like skaven.
The 4th lvl from the other hand made excellent work with the current setup.
Finally i want to say that there was time were i missed the second dispel scroll especially with skavens.
The strategy i use is to take the same lore with both mages.
For example take lore of metal when you are fighting with heavy armoured opponents
Take fire when fighting with hordes
Take high magic when opponent is magic heavy.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Naesir wrote:i made my conclusion that having 2 scrolls instead of seerstaff is in better use especially when you play against magic heavy armies like skaven.
What magic did the guy take? A Grey Seer is a good pick, though he suffers due to lack of spell selection. One Warlock is good, as he can take the Condenser and maybe the Doom Rocket. After that? A Plague Priest is great for the Furnace but his magic is poor. A second Warlock is Ok but nothing awesome. Overall, lack of spell selection and bound spell support makes Skaven magic mediocre IMHO. Lore of Ruin is great but you can't plan with it.
Naesir wrote:It isn't very important of knowing 2 specific spells on my 2nd lvl because his job is to eats opponents DD using the first spell on the lore he choose (in my case with empire lore of metal a simple s(tr8 - As) hit with no As or using drain magic against a magic heavy army like skaven.
If you want to nerf your opponent's magic that's fine. I think default spells tend to be situational however, a level 2 is capable of more. Just one example, if a Star Dragon shows up you really want to auto-select Beast Cowers on the Lvl2.

Maybe it's a playstyle thing. I'm quite happy playing a single scroll as I'm utterly ruthless with what I try to dispel and the Seerstaff is well worth the loss to me. If you prefer to keep a bit more of a lid on what the other guy's doing then maybe 2 scrolls just suits your style better.