My latest roster. 2250 combined arms High Elves

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Griffon Prince

My latest roster. 2250 combined arms High Elves

#1 Post by Griffon Prince »

Ello there

After much experimentation, I've come up with the following list.

Archmage lvl 3 Annulian Crystal, 3 scrolls

Noble BSB GW, AoC, GoC

Caradryan

10 Archers

15 LSG shields, standard

14 White Lions, cmd, SoB, AoL

14 Swordmasters, cmd, BoE

5 Dragon Princes

Tiranoc Chariot

Lion Chariot

Eagle

3 RBTs

2248 points

I use a lvl 3 instead of 2 caddies now to get the Crystal and to throw 4 dice at a Drain Magic or other crucial spell. It's worked well so far (Irresistible Drain 2 turns in a row, eat that, Slann!) so I'm sticking with that for the time being. Leadership 9 also helps as well, of course.
The noble goes with the Lions, Caradryan goes with the Swordies. I know the majority of people think that putting a character in a unit of Swordies wastes 2 good, solid attacks from the unit but I see his presence as a major plus. Fear Protection and LD 9 allow me to give them the Banner of Ellyrion (instead of the normal SoB to protect from panic). MR 3 is GOLD in today's environment. Also, I feel the unit is a lot safer they way it is now as oppossed to my usual 14 man , full command, SoB, ToL/AoL setup; they can hide and not worry about getting bogged down by terrain.
With a character in the Lions, I can set them up 5x3 for a rank bonus. This will also help save space if I decide to run them next to the Swordies. The way the units are now, I could actually run them independent of each other without worrying about losing combat (Cara + SMs = pwn). The Chariots/DPs will either support these units or hang back for flank protection and/or to have tea with the Archmage.
The archers and LSG will probably be in the middle setup like a "V" pointed in my direction. I'm still unsure about the standard on the Sea Guard as I'm afraid it will just give up points.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Any and all advice is welcome.
Morathi and Tyrion sittin' in a tree...ewwwwwww
pk-ng

Re: My latest roster. 2250 combined arms High Elves

#2 Post by pk-ng »

SM don't get fear protection from caradryan....
In my opinion I wouldn't really give the WL SoB too expensive of a banner for it. I would give Lion Standard instead and then you have 25 points to spare maybe give AoL to the SM (so they can make the most of it with 2 attacks each) and either give Amulet of Fire for ur WLs? (I'm in love with Amulet of Fire as it has saved me from time to time and also deter alot of enemies from magic-ing it as they hear MR(1)! and immune to fire (they always assume it's the whole unit for some reason.....)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Griffon Prince

#3 Post by Griffon Prince »

They do gain fear protection. I don't have the book on me but it's in the BRB.
Standard of Balance protects the unit from Primal Fury, Infinite Hatred Dark Elves and Minotaur frenzy, it's a must and it's quite the popular choice. I want to keep the AoL with the Lions as they have no source of magic attacks while the Swordies have Caradryan (who can kill Treekin and Treemen most of the time).
I think I'm all set with Amulet of Fire. My Archmage can deal with any attempts to magic the Lions with his Dispel pool and scrolls. The threat that will be the main target of spells is the Swordies and now with Caradryan, they are very safe.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

Rephrase you only get the "fear protection" if a unit charges into caradryan. If you are outnumbered by a fear causing unit you still need double 1 as the unit itself isn't immune to fear
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I think Standard of Balance and Amulet of Fire if you have the points are both good picks for a Lion unit this size. The Standard makes all the difference against things like Blood Knights.
Griffon Prince

#6 Post by Griffon Prince »

Page 78 of the BRB. First one or two sentences under Fear/Terror. I don't have it on me atm but it states that characters that cause fear make their unit immune to it.
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Griffon Prince wrote:Page 78 of the BRB. First one or two sentences under Fear/Terror. I don't have it on me atm but it states that characters that cause fear make their unit immune to it.
check that my bad.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board