Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) (update 2/10/09)

#31 Post by Mireadur »

You've told me 2 times the same hehe, and im sure that from a technical point of view you are totally right, but.. I love green bases :oops:

I tried a brown base right after the 1st time you mentioned this to me, but i wasnt satisfied.. Does it really have so much influence the base thing? I really dislike black bases :( as they look like unfinished but again, i have no idea about colour theories.

Thanks for caring (and telling me) anyhow, im going to think very seriously about the matter.
Lord Anathir

Re: Just another HE Log =) (update 2/10/09)

#32 Post by Lord Anathir »

lol i didnt know i told you twice. I think you should give it try. Remember its not going to be visible in the movement trays but it makes a difference because you see the little black cracks separating models.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) (update 5/10/09)

#33 Post by Mireadur »

SMALL UPDATE:

I keep painting the shadow warriors. I decided i would complete a single model to see the results and noticed purple gems didnt look so good with the model being so dark so i switched to red and i think the contrast of colours looks better now. Anyway here's the finished model. The eight remaining shouldnt take longer than 5-6 hours.

Also i tried different colours for the bases (black and khemri brown) but none of them satisfied me. Black specially seemed to show more the bad painting on the models so i guess it's true it helps focus more on the mini, but because of this, the black base only looked good on the foot mage (and made the WL i tried it on to look quite bad :oops: ).
Elaithnir

#34 Post by Elaithnir »

Wow. That looks amazing. I love the metal especially, and the dark blue cloak. Care to elaborate on your metal painting technique? That Shadow Walker's sword...yum. I agree the purple gems may be a bit dark, but have you considered turqoise gems? May tie them to your main force... As for the bases, each his own. :) If you like the Goblin Green, stick with it!
Mireadur

#35 Post by Mireadur »

Elaithnir wrote:Wow. That looks amazing. I love the metal especially, and the dark blue cloak. Care to elaborate on your metal painting technique? That Shadow Walker's sword...yum. I agree the purple gems may be a bit dark, but have you considered turqoise gems? May tie them to your main force...

Thanks Ela, certainly that sword looks good on the pics... I tried to do some NMM but with metals on it and the helmets, going from chainmail mixed with black to chainmail and then silver mithril over the most shining surfaces.. The light source does the rest. I think the fact the paints are actually metallic make up for my lack of skill to simulate a light source with NMM as the pic shows (notice how in the cloak pic the helmet is illuminated in the wrong place).
As for the bases, each his own. :) If you like the Goblin Green, stick with it!
It is not goblin green! it is camo green! :P (less shiny hehe)

So the unit is finished now, just need to apply the coat of varnish to them, what will happen as soon as i finish the update.

Just noticed the leather boots of the champion arent fully highlighted #-o

I hope you guys are enjoying the Plog as much as im enjoying the updates!. The 2500 point army is now almost complete. I did some small changes to the list lately. Instead a 2nd unit of spearmen i added 6 Ellyrion reavers, also the hero on eagle goes now on horse (need to paint the horse) and the eagle goes as a normal unit.

So i expect to finish this block of 2500 points by the end of the month! That will make 6 months of painting with 2 months off in between for a total of 8 months of work. Pretty good i believe!

And all in all i have painted an average of 1,5 hours a day in those 6 months of activity what proves that you dont need to spend huge amounts of time to get a big army painted in less than a year (and proves to myself too, since its the 1st time in my Warhammer life that i manage to be so constant).
Elaithnir

Re: Just another HE Log =) (update 7/10/09)

#36 Post by Elaithnir »

I'm enjoying this log a lot! Putting me to shame with the frequency of your updates, but inspiring me to keep at mine. I hope I can finish my force in 8 months too!
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) (update 9/10/09)

#37 Post by Mireadur »

SMALL UPDATE:

As it always happens when i finish an unit, i barely paint anything in the following days. So all i've done this week has been preparing the next thing: 6 Reavers. after i got ready the horses i decided i would use the new chariot horses better. spent yesterday with the greenstuff and priming, so i hope i can find the will to begin painting either today or sunday (saturdays are gaming days).

I will use the model with the spear facing up as standard bearer, adding the flags from silver helms sprues to the spear pole. For the musician i think i will use the horn from the dragon lord sprue, which i have 2.

Elaithnir

Re: Just another HE Log =) (update9/10/09)

#38 Post by Elaithnir »

Nice. I did a similar conversion for my Reavers, but with Glade Rider horses, spear tips and bows. I'm using the Chariot horses for my Dragon Princes.
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =)

#39 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, took a 15 days break because of a map campaign we are doing (will get some pics this weekend when we play again) and this..http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254877

I fear i lost again the ball but yesterday did a shy attempt at continuing with the reavers :/... Hopefully i can post a pic with all horses finished by the next week.

Also i have made the mistake of buying the Space hulk.. So i fear im gonna have to start painting genestealers too..
ZehKaiser

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Not dead!)

#40 Post by ZehKaiser »

Those are looking really good. I love the reaver horse swap. The shadow warriors are also beautiful. I really like those 6th models. Its sad they aren't so hot in game. Maybe one day they'll be on par with shades...
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (update 2/11/09)

#41 Post by Mireadur »

Just a quick update on the progression of the reavers since i finished the test horse some minutes ago. As you can see im going for a simple white for the barding and for the horse mane a shadow grey with lighter spots on the flanks. Gems are red as for the rest of the army. The rest of the horses are pending of lighting their manes, painting the hair, barding, gems and finishing up the metal.

If i can increase my painting time back to 2 hours a day i guess i'll get'em done by wed/thursday.

PS: i forgot taking pics from the gaming day and the campaign #-o.
Alathenar

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (update 2/11/09)

#42 Post by Alathenar »

I loved the way those SW cloaks turned out, very nice. those reavers are very cool aswell. it makes me think i should do that with my chariot horses that i still have. Nonetheless fantastic work and keep it up!
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Reavers horses & heros 3/11/09)

#43 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, so i went back to painting spree mode and finished the horses for the ellyrion reavers in the afternoon. Then during the evening, while i prepared the stuff i wanted to add to the riders i decided i would convert some heroes. I did a White lion BSB on foot and an Eatainë noble on foot with sword and shield. Unfortunately i put the last one below a lot of painted models in the transport case and forgot to take pics =D> will try tomorrow np.

Also i prepared the parts to assemble a wizard on foot, want to make him clearly from crace, but i realized i ran out of lion cloaks!!.. Will think on the matter in the following days np.. So the pics:

Reaver horses, They are not varnished yet so im unsure at this point if adding some drawings to the champions horse barding. Also maybe need to polish the lighter spots in the horses mane.. Any advice guys? Someone who has that mastered who could help me?

well and the WL BSB, unlike most people who love caledor or Saphery i personally favour Crace and Eatainë!

Thats all for now!, will take a pic of the mage and the other hero for the next time.

Thx for the comments :oops:
Last edited by Mireadur on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alathenar

#44 Post by Alathenar »

That is one fine BSB, very original indeed! How will it go ranking up though?
Jimmy
Centurion

#45 Post by Jimmy »

awesome work! so clean.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Mireadur

#46 Post by Mireadur »

SwiftSwordmaster wrote:That is one fine BSB, very original indeed! How will it go ranking up though?
Im guessing bad, really bad :oops:. But the commander box bsb also fits really bad in units..

EDIT: a pic with the heros i worked in yesterday. The noble with sword & shield is a copy from Archvile's lord on foot, about the DP i reworked him changing his chest and helm for one of the dragon lord set and also finally added some dragonfly details to the horse. About the mage on foot i said i wanted to do him Crace based but i have no components for such a task #-o ..

Definitely the WL BSB didnt fit well in regiments, i have modified his position a little bit to improve this.. Although still isnt perfect (just like the bsb i have painted above).

Elaithnir

#47 Post by Elaithnir »

Nice. I'm an Eataine fan myself so...:) Really inspiring. I have to get back to my own painting now! :oops:
Mireadur

#48 Post by Mireadur »

I modified the noble on foot to a nicer and more original position i believe! hope you like it guys. And now... I must paint those reavers, i feel i can get'em done by sunday/mon =).

archvile

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Reavers horses & heros 4/11/09)

#49 Post by archvile »

:shock:
nice work on that noble.
I love conversions as you might know, and this one is really owesome! Keep up the good work.
Elaithnir

#50 Post by Elaithnir »

Agreed. It reminds me of Martin Footit's Golden Demon entry, that hand on the shield...:) Gave me an idea too!
Mireadur

#51 Post by Mireadur »

Hi guys, im heading for work reasons to morocco this saturday so i fear the log's gonna be frozen for a while as i doubt i will have internet where im going.

I will carry some models with me to paint after work so maybe when im back for christmas will have a few decent pics to post. That said, have fun all and keep working hard on your armies!
Dragon.Prince63

#52 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

I am seriously inspiredto get back to painting my spearmen. Absolutely awesome models.
Alathenar

#53 Post by Alathenar »

Those character conversions are all very well done! Can't wait to see them all painted up!
Mireadur

#54 Post by Mireadur »

Hi again from Morocco guys, its been 5 months since i came here and it looks like it will be at least 1 more month of work here (good thing since spain is a dead zone in what comes to work aviability).

I havent touched a brush in this time, working 12 hours a day makes you dont feel like it i tell ya =). But lately, mainly due to reading the rumours of the incoming new HE models im feeling like restarting the painting work.

So Back in November i departed here to the 2nd world with great reveneue expectations, a gym worked out body and a bunch of HE minis to paint in the short time aviable between working days. 5 months later i certainly fullfilled those revenue expectations, eventhough i didnt paint a single mini and completely lost my shape too =D> .

Well, i took with me a lion chariot, a tiranoc chariot, 2 characters on foot and a unit of 20 spearmen. Spearmen have just been completely ruled out since new models will be coming in september so im gonna try and focus on painting the Tiranoc chariot in the following days. As i brought a camera here ill be posting updates of my work as it gets done. Unfortunately, dont expect a pictures spree like during 2009 where i wasnt working and thus able to paint between 30 and 60 hours a month. All my hopes at the moment pass for some modest 4-6 hours a week of painting =).
Uther Di Asturien

#55 Post by Uther Di Asturien »

I really like your horse paint scheme, made me think about painting my boxed set of Silver Helms that I haven't opened in a long time :D
I gotta say I also love your conversion choices for your nobles, original enough to not be boring but still very much standard High Elf.
Ambassador of the [url=http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org]Roundtable of Bretonnia[/url]

[quote="EricJ"]You're all (well.. except Raneth) forgetting the age-old dogma: on the internet, all men are men, all women are men, and all children are the FBI.[/quote]
"Brute force with care"
-Luna Guardian
Tahl

#56 Post by Tahl »

When I win the lottery I am hiring you to paint my army.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
wamphyri101

#57 Post by wamphyri101 »

Loving the Shadow warriors and reaver horses. Awesome job
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Ghost

#58 Post by Ghost »

The army is looking fantastic, the only point i may suggest is to raise the mage on foot's staff up because to me it seems more like it is dropping because it is too heavy.
Mireadur

#59 Post by Mireadur »

Hiya again guys, this time really back home =). So ive been here 3 weeks, 1 week quite sick from the throat, next week really busy catching up with all the daily legal stuff and last week... Well you better look at it yourselves.

These are my latest sin...What can i say, i love new armies. Been assembling them these days. Bought part of them through ebay the rest via MAelstrom. I have to say the minotaurs arent bad at all, specially the doombull is brutal:

The characters i made for the army, all gotten from the bestigor box set and some added bits.

The giant you see in the back is my old 6th ed O&G giant (yup also own O&G), heres a closer pic.

But...What are those guys? Did sigue sigue sputnik got into my goatmen??

And this happened today. The guy with the geeky face is the proud owner of an almost fully painted bretonia army and 2 fully painted vampire counts and dwarfs armies. He paints quite well, specially the runes on the dwarven standards. He is my main enemy we are so close that draw so much. Today, though, was my 1st battle with the beastmen and got me owned pretty well =).

And.. Well just so you dont think i did all this to fill up space in the log...

Ya, its a very early stage on them, in fact i think i just put 2 hours on them so far. I think it will take 10 more hours to finish... Lets see how it goes as its been over 6 months i dont do any painting. This week i ran out of excuses (beastmen assembling) and now i must go back to the hard work. after painting those riders the 2500 point army will be fully done!! Lets see if by saturday i can post a finished/almost done pic of those ellyrion reavers.

Have a nice week all.
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Reavers horses & heros 21/6/10)

#60 Post by Jimmy »

I'm just repeating myself and everyone else but everything is coming along awesome. I love the converted reavers and can't wait to see them finished off.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog