Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:21 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

Oh these are nice. Both the paint job and the models. I'm very impressed with the variety of these stone trolls that you've managed to put together.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:55 pm 
Green Istari

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Oh these are nice.

Prince of Spires wrote:
They rocks!

Thanks guys!

:)

Prince of Spires wrote:
If you're running a very mobile army who spreads out then the LD of individual units becomes a lot more important then if you're running a more compact and defensive army. Then you have a much easier time to stay in general and / or BSB range. It's one of the reasons I like Phoenix Guard. With their LD9 they can take care of themselves if the BSB / General is elsewhere.

I always think of Seredain’s army with General & BSB in Silver Helms. These were wide-ranging but he often managed to keep them in range of the supporting elite infantry.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:52 pm 
Green Istari

Army Review

Overall I was fairly happy with how the army did at the tournament. It was pretty solid and two wins out of three wasn’t bad. I felt I was starting to turn the screw in game one when we ran out of time. Game two I lost my left wing but stopped the main attack in the centre cold. Game three was starting to go south but I had enough left to hold it to a minor loss. I’m going to break down how I felt the different bits of the army performed.

Daemons

These aren’t a long-term part of the army I feel. They performed well, although the Flamers flopped a little. The Skillcannon was targeted for destruction in game two but saw off Monstrous Cavalry in game one. I was amazed how quickly the Beasts died in game two but they softened up the enemy main block nicely for my other units. In game three they basically kept me in the game. Their mobile threat and resilience is a huge asset.

Manglers

As I put it during game two. "I’ve never fought with these before. I’m never fighting without them again!" They either keep the enemy back or simply chew up a direct attack (as in game two). Sometimes they just die but they’re so cheap. Not exactly hard to use either.

Trolls

Their massed attacks did great in game two. 24 Strength 5 (plus Stomps). In game three though they suffered a bad combat round and broke, as in game two at Milton Keynes. Although it would lose some hitting power I’m toying with the idea of going three deep to preserve Steadfast, possibly adding a ninth troll. This would also be slightly more maneouverable. Of course I can also address this issue in Core.

Core

Getting Standard of Discipline on the Big’Uns for Leadership 10 is key. They did OK, I’m otherwise happy with this unit. The Arrer Boyz failed Animosity twice, altogether too aggressive for their own good. But I love the models and I’m not sure I’ve got a great alternative. At 2000pts I only need to go with 5 basic for the Wolf Riders. The bigger unit with Gitilla didn’t achieve a whole lot really. That could be because of the enemies faced, I might give them another run out.

Others

The bolt shooters were a bit hit and miss but they did kill the Water Dragon. The fighting characters struggled to cut through the Daemonettes but they’re designed to cut through Toughness and armour so I guess that was to be expected. The Cascade in game three showed the dangers of only bringing a single Shaman but it does keep things simple and the best reason for another wizard is to carry the Scroll.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:58 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Quote:
Manglers

For the price they are amazing. I think it's often a misjudgement that a unit "has to make its points back" in kills to be worth taking. But already forcing your opponent to adjust their movement and spend time taking it out makes them very valuable. The fact that under the right circumstances they can also kill a lot of stuff is just a great bonus.

SpellArcher wrote:
Trolls

I think they are a must in your list. You need the massive amount of medium-high S attacks to deal with some of the stuff you'll face. O&G have other options, but they would really change your list into something different.

SpellArcher wrote:
Daemons

They are of course a bit of a consequence of the specific comp of this tournament as well. Some of it complements your army nicely I think. Especially the Skill canon offers some high S shooting, which is very valuable.

SpellArcher wrote:
Others

You're just spoiled with the high accuracy shooting options of other races ;) I think the bolt throwers are just too unreliable to be worth taking as one or two. With at best a 50% chance to hit anything and the low S (for a warmachine) and only D3 wounds they are just not threatening enough to keep big stuff honest. I would expose a dragon to them if it would offer me some benefit in a next turn without hesitation, something I wouldn't do vs a canon. If you have 4 or more on the table on the other hand, it becomes different.

Rod

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
But already forcing your opponent to adjust their movement and spend time taking it out makes them very valuable.

Watching one chew up a Keeper of Secrets was awesome Rod. They’re so good to stop an enemy just running straight over you.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I think they are a must in your list. You need the massive amount of medium-high S attacks to deal with some of the stuff you'll face. O&G have other options, but they would really change your list into something different.

I agree completely. I actually think Monstrous Infantry are great for game balance, neither too good nor too weak. S5 is essential but the armour-ignoring Vomit option is a brilliant complement. Regen is just a 4+ Ward vs the vast majority of things. Yes Flaming Attacks and Initiative 1 are issues but at 35pts per model, numbers help to soak casualties up. I’m even considering a second unit.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I would expose a dragon to them if it would offer me some benefit in a next turn without hesitation, something I wouldn't do vs a canon.

Yeah, I really need to work out where I’m going with the artillery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:55 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

SpellArcher wrote:
Yeah, I really need to work out where I’m going with the artillery.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. A doomdiver is an obvious choice of course, though it doesn't really scare big monsters all that much. Maybe just more spear chukkas. You can take up to 6 after all...

Of course, it also depends a bit on what else you'll bring. Assuming you don't have the demons in the list, you have some points left over to play with, and a couple of gaps that need to be filled, the beasts are a hard hitting anvil and the skillcanon is a great long distance threat.

There's things like a giant, pump wagons or even just regular trolls. I'm not too sure about the arachnarok, though it is a great model, which is reason enough to bring one of course ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:20 pm 
Green Istari

Mangler Squigs

Next up are the Arrer Boyz. They’re Core of course so I’ll have a little time to think over how I build from there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:09 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Lovely. I think they'll fit nicely with the rest of the army.

What are the models? They're a lot smaller then the GW ones ;)

Check out my plog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11