Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6914
Location: The city of Spires
I like the list. There probably is some optimization that can be done on it. But 2000pts in general has very little room to swap things out.

On thing I would consider is swapping the short bows on the wolf riders for a nasty Skulker in the goblin unit. 10 BS3 S3 shots that have always moved will not do very much in my opinion. While 3 killing blow attacks (even at ws2) could be trouble (or, for a more serious option, use the 10 points for more chukka's, see below, if you have the room in core of course).

Another is dropping one or two snotling bases for more spear chukka's. 2 isn't all that threatening. 4 might keep stuff a bit more honest. And at 2000pts you're maybe a bit heavy on redirectors.
SpellArcher wrote:
I suspect elves will be able to deal with them but not all enemies will have such accurate shooting. At worst they die but force the foe to spend time on them and they can inhibit movement. I agree Rod, 2 is the way to go.

Shooting or a well placed magic missile are a good way to deal with a mangler. So indeed, elves probably have enough tools to deal with them, even 2 of them. The manglers would achieve very little against a loremaster for instance, other then drawing a bunch of power dice in the first two turns or so. But against a lot of other lists, the best option is simply running a cheap unit into it I think. I would gladly sacrifice a great eagle or a unit of reavers to get rid of a mangler.

Of course, this also means that a mangler shines in an environment where people don't bring a lot of redirectors or chaff units. Which is, surprisingly in my opinion, quite common. Having a mangler crash through some big, tough block and deal 2D6 s6 AP hits and then having it rampage through your backline can spell disaster for your army.

I like the orc. He's fairly simple. But he should make a good rank and file unit. And in a big unit I think he'll look pretty good.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12325
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
I like the list.

Thanks Rod.

Prince of Spires wrote:
On thing I would consider is swapping the short bows on the wolf riders for a nasty Skulker in the goblin unit. 10 BS3 S3 shots that have always moved will not do very much in my opinion

You have a point but I feel this is a matter of taste. The shooting was great last game. Yes a bit lucky. The models also have bows!

Prince of Spires wrote:
Another is dropping one or two snotling bases for more spear chukka's. 2 isn't all that threatening. 4 might keep stuff a bit more honest. And at 2000pts you're maybe a bit heavy on redirectors.

This I completely agree with. The Snotlings aren't very good, they are currently in because they're painted! Artillery is the big weakness of the list. I dislike Doom Divers aesthetically but I really should get a second Rock Lobber in. The Lvl 2 is also replaceable. He's not bad but if I drop him and the Snotlings that's 270 points to play with. I'm quite tempted to raise a unit of Black Orcs. They're not often seen (they're not Core) but I like the models and I think I can make them work.

Prince of Spires wrote:
Of course, this also means that a mangler shines in an environment where people don't bring a lot of redirectors or chaff units. Which is, surprisingly in my opinion, quite common. Having a mangler crash through some big, tough block and deal 2D6 s6 AP hits and then having it rampage through your backline can spell disaster for your army.

In my experience it's also very easy to forget that Random Movement can potentially hit anything within 18", in any direction.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I like the orc. He's fairly simple. But he should make a good rank and file unit. And in a big unit I think he'll look pretty good.

Thanks. I have a couple more done I need to photograph.

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:32 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12325
Location: Otherworld
SpellArcher wrote:
I have a couple more done I need to photograph.

Image

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12325
Location: Otherworld
The Orcs so far:

Image

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6914
Location: The city of Spires
They look suitably unruly. And the guy in the front row with the mohawk is just great :D

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: A New Blog
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12325
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
They look suitably unruly.

Thanks Rod. The photo’s a bit dodgy, I’m actually really pleased with the effect so far.

Prince of Spires wrote:
And the guy in the front row with the mohawk is just great

If you see pics of the Citadel designers in the 80’s, they were a fairly punky lot!

:)

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group