Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 1300 Pt vs Dwarf Army
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 am
Posts: 9
Hi there all! I'm just getting back into WHFB and I've been strictly playing against a friend who has a dwarf army. We are playing 1300 point lists, but here's the kicker. We aren't playing with mages. We still haven't mastered the magic part of the game, so we're just looking to do mostly strategy with shooting and close combat. Anyways, here's my list. Tell me what you think!

10 Archers w/full command (Light Armor) - 145 pts

10 Swordmasters w/full command - 180 pts

10 Phoenix Guard w/full command - 180 pts

8 Silver Helms w/ full command (heavy armor, shield and lance) - 224 pts

1 White Lion Chariot - 140 pts

2 Bolt Throwers - 200 pts

1 Noble on a horse (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and sword of striking) - 127 pts

1 Noble on foot (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and biting blade) - 105 pts


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 31
Hey! Welcome back to WFB!

So other Phoenix Kings here will have a much better understanding of the army, as I just started playing with/against High Elves recently.

Having said that, see comments below in red.

10 Archers w/full command (Light Armor) - 145 pts
STR 3 bows against Dwarfs and their armor are not going to do too much.


10 Swordmasters w/full command - 180 pts
I like this, but you have 10 Swordmasters and 10 Phoenix guards. I'd consider joining these two to field 20 Phoenix Guard or 20 Swordmasters.

10 Phoenix Guard w/full command - 180 pts
See above

8 Silver Helms w/ full command (heavy armor, shield and lance) - 224 pts
Like this a lot. Mobility and good armor.

1 White Lion Chariot - 140 pts
Like this, in particular with impact hits.

2 Bolt Throwers - 200 pts
Like this too to combat usual Dwarf shooting superiority.

1 Noble on a horse (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and sword of striking) - 127 pts
Well, you can't have a halberd & showrd of striking. One or the other.

1 Noble on foot (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and biting blade) - 105 pts
Same as above. Would recommend making this guy a BSB, just in case.


i'd consider switching archers for Reavers to threaten war machines and redirect. Making one big block of Phoenix Guard insetad of small SM and PG units. And take a 2nd look at the weapons. You need additional STR & Armour piercing. I can't top of my head recall what striking and biting blade do.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 am
Posts: 9
Thank you! I can definitely edit the archers and bolt throwers out. I may switch the archers for seaguard, since I need at least one core unit. I am somewhat limited because I don't have too many back up models, but I think that I may be able to muster up at least a few different units to try to balance it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6666
Location: The city of Spires
Welcome SeanG :)

First off, a question. Which edition of Warhammer are you playing? It looks like you have the previous HE army book, and probably 7th edition rules.

If that is the case then your army list is a good starting point. Small units work very well in 7th edition. The main issue then is that, as Live_waaagh mentions, there is little point in bringing both a halbert and a magic weapon (though it is legal to do so). A model will always use the magical weapon and therefore the points on the halbert are wasted. One exception would be if you often run into something that destroys magical weapons (there were a few such things in 7th ed).

Also, indeed try to make one of the Nobles a BSB. It's worth the points.

Another thing is that Dragon princes are a better choice then Silver Helms. Don't bother with command models at this points size. But bring 7 Dragon Princes instead of 8 SH. They are better in pretty much every way that counts. Higher WS, higher LD and 2 attacks. So you get 14 attacks instead of the 9 you have from the SH. And you probably could add in a champ if you really want.

The command remark also goes for the SM and PG I think. That would save you 60 points, which is 4 extra PG you could add to the list for instance.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 am
Posts: 9
Prince of Spires wrote:
Welcome SeanG :)

First off, a question. Which edition of Warhammer are you playing? It looks like you have the previous HE army book, and probably 7th edition rules.

If that is the case then your army list is a good starting point. Small units work very well in 7th edition. The main issue then is that, as Live_waaagh mentions, there is little point in bringing both a halbert and a magic weapon (though it is legal to do so). A model will always use the magical weapon and therefore the points on the halbert are wasted. One exception would be if you often run into something that destroys magical weapons (there were a few such things in 7th ed).

Also, indeed try to make one of the Nobles a BSB. It's worth the points.

Another thing is that Dragon princes are a better choice then Silver Helms. Don't bother with command models at this points size. But bring 7 Dragon Princes instead of 8 SH. They are better in pretty much every way that counts. Higher WS, higher LD and 2 attacks. So you get 14 attacks instead of the 9 you have from the SH. And you probably could add in a champ if you really want.

The command remark also goes for the SM and PG I think. That would save you 60 points, which is 4 extra PG you could add to the list for instance.

Rod


Okay I'll definitely have to look at doing so when I play next. I didn't see this response until too late. also, is there anywhere reliable to get new models online anymore? I only have what I have and I'd like to add to the collection to give myself a few more options.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6666
Location: The city of Spires
SeanG wrote:
Okay I'll definitely have to look at doing so when I play next. I didn't see this response until too late. also, is there anywhere reliable to get new models online anymore? I only have what I have and I'd like to add to the collection to give myself a few more options.

Games workshop still sells many of the warhammer models via their webstore. So there is a good chance of finding what you want there. One thing to keep an eye out for is that they are slowly changing the bases from square to round. So it could be that you need to buy some square bases separately. But they are available from a lot of independent stores. Some are plain but you also have a lot of more intricate ones if you want.

If GW doesn't have the models you want anymore then ebay is your best bet. It very much depends on your location, but I find the UK version of ebay the best option for WH models. But if you're not in europe then shipping can get expensive. On ebay it depends on what you want and how you want it how hard it is to find something. But if you don't mind removing paint from models, already having models assembled or buying a painted army and using that then you have lots of choice. Especially for common models. Don't expect to find a handmaiden of the everqueen for a reasonable price though. Or if you do, please let me know ;)

You might also have some luck with some independent online shops. They store a limited selection of WH models. But you could find what you need there. I don't have any for you at the moment. I just know they exist. Google is your friend here probably.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 am 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12011
Location: Otherworld
What Rod said.

It may also be worth considering non-Warhammer models. GW's The Hobbit range can be helpful (eg Eagles). Also other manufacturers:

http://unsupported-armies.blogspot.co.u ... elves.html

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39667

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group