HE vs Lizardmen (not Bretonnia) List 2500 pts

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
CorinthianHelm

HE vs Lizardmen (not Bretonnia) List 2500 pts

#1 Post by CorinthianHelm »

Hey everyone. This is a list I made for a game coming up. The group I play with has some minor houserules of no death magic, BOTWD, etc. Anyways, happy to hear your thoughts on this list.

Standard (High Elves - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.0.)

+Lords+

Archmage: Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 4
. Magic Items: AB - Khaine's Ring of Fury, BRB - Dispel Scroll, BRB - Talisman of Preservation

+Heroes+

Caradryan

Noble
. Heavy Armour
. Battle Standard Bearer: BRB - Razor Standard
. Magic Items: AB - Golden Crown of Atrazar, AB - Shield of the Merwyrm

+Core+

Ellyrian Reavers
Champion
. 5x Ellyrian Reaver: 5x Bow and Spear

Ellyrian Reavers

Lothern Sea Guard
Musician, Standard Bearer
. 20x Sea Guard: 20x Shields

Lothern Sea Guard

+Special+

Phoenix Guard
30x Phoenix Guard

White Lions of Chrace
Standard Bearer, 12x White Lion

White Lions of Chrace
Standard Bearer, 11x White Lion

+Rare+

Flamespyre Phoenix

Great Eagle
. Great Eagle: Shredding Talons

Great Eagle
. Great Eagle: Shredding Talons

Created with BattleScribe
Last edited by CorinthianHelm on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: HE vs Bretonnia List 2500 pts

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a nice list. It perhaps lacks a bit of mobility, which can be an issue against a mobile army like I'm expecting Bretonnia to be. But you do have several "can-opener" units, which will help a lot.

A few comments on the list

You can't take magic items on the BSB if you're also taking a magic banner with him (See HE army book p90). It's not a big deal, just move the razor banner to the standard bearer of the phoenix guard unit. That's where you want it anyway. I'm not sure I like his equipment. He's only S4, which isn't all that impressive. I would give him the Sword of might with some defensive equipment.

A 'funny' thing to keep in mind about Caradryan is that he is probably better in a WL unit than in a WL unit. His bonusses don't do much to a PG unit, but the WL benefit from the ward save and MR.

I definitely prefer the Frostheart over the flamespire phoenix in this matchup. It's almost always a better choice. But the wake of fire attack (which is the benefit of the flamespire) is only S4, which wont do much against heavily armoured knights. You should be able to find the 15 points somewhere to make room for him I think. Another option would be to take repeater bolt throwers. They have great range, and pretty good accuracy. And they are a threat to heavily armoured units. You lose a mobile threat, but you gain great shooting and area controle.

Let us know how the battle went!

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
CorinthianHelm

#3 Post by CorinthianHelm »

You can't take magic items on the BSB if you're also taking a magic banner with him (See HE army book p90). It's not a big deal, just move the razor banner to the standard bearer of the phoenix guard unit. That's where you want it anyway. I'm not sure I like his equipment. He's only S4, which isn't all that impressive. I would give him the Sword of might with some defensive equipment.
Whoopsie. Did that in at least one other game then. Oh well, the unit had a standard bearer anyways, and no one ever plays a perfect game of WHFB. But I agree that SoM is a good thing for a HE combat character
A 'funny' thing to keep in mind about Caradryan is that he is probably better in a WL unit than in a WL unit. His bonusses don't do much to a PG unit, but the WL benefit from the ward save and MR.
I can see that. I suppose if the Archmage can get off the Soulquench every now and then, the PG will already be the max 3+ ward save, Caradryan's MR won't really help, and the big damage spell to worry about is dwellers, which doesn't allow saves.
Phoenix vs Bolt Throwers
Yeah, my thought on that was that I don't want to bring the same thing over and over, but I haven't tried EBTs yet so I'm fine with subbing them in. Any advice on how/where to use/position them? And I'll be sure to add how the battle goes.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome CorinthianHelm.

:)

I'd be tempted to merge the Lion units. In general small units of them only work well in pure MSU lists. Specifically, a tooled up Lance hitting one may go straight through it, negating Stubborn. A combined unit would see more models benefit from Caradryan's presence.
CorinthianHelm wrote: Any advice on how/where to use/position them?
The default is to space them out along the baseline (more than 6 inches apart to avoid chain Panic). 48 inch range is enough that they will almost always have something useful to shoot at, especially as Bretonnians will almost certainly rush you. You could comfortably drop an Eagle to get four in as you have the Reavers already.
CorinthianHelm

#5 Post by CorinthianHelm »

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks again for the advice on placement. Also, turns out I’m not facing Brets, but Lizardmen instead, so the bolt throwers should be even more useful. Can’t change my list now unfortunately, but what little magic I can pump out against a slann tricked out for channeling should still be useful with the heavily armored units they have. LSG can clear out skinks with their shooting, and the WL/PG can hack away.

What do you mean by baseline?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: HE vs Lizardmen (not Bretonnia) List 2500 pts

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

CorinthianHelm wrote:What do you mean by baseline?
Your table edge.
CorinthianHelm

#7 Post by CorinthianHelm »

Battle Report:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W03 ... sp=sharing

Note: Some images may not be perfect, so rely on the text more than them.
CorinthianHelm

#8 Post by CorinthianHelm »

HE List:

+Lords+

Archmage: Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 4
. Magic Items: AB - Khaine's Ring of Fury, BRB - Dispel Scroll, BRB - Talisman of Preservation

+Heroes+

Caradryan

Noble
. Heavy Armour
. Battle Standard Bearer: BRB - Razor Standard
. Magic Items: AB - Golden Crown of Atrazar, AB - Shield of the Merwyrm

+Core+

Ellyrian Reavers
Champion

Ellyrian Reavers

Lothern Sea Guard

Lothern Sea Guard

+Special+

Phoenix Guard
30x Phoenix Guard

White Lions of Chrace
Standard Bearer, 12x White Lion

White Lions of Chrace
Standard Bearer, 11x White Lion

+Rare+

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle
.Shredding Talons

Great Eagle
.Shredding Talons

Total: 2,493pts

LZM List:

+ Lords +

Slann Mage-Priest [370pts]: Battle Standard Bearer, Lore of High Magic, Wizard Level 4
. Disciplines of the Old Ones: Harmonic Convergence
. Magic Items: BRB - Channeling Staff

+ Heroes +

Skink Priest [125pts]: Lore of Beasts, Wizard Level 2
. Magic Items: BRB - Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest [100pts]: Lore of Heavens, Wizard Level 2

+ Core +

Saurus Warriors [360pts]: Champion, Musician, 30x Saurus Warrior, Standard Bearer

Saurus Warriors [360pts]: Champion, Musician, 30x Saurus Warrior, Standard Bearer

Skink Skirmishers [140pts]
. 20x Skink Skirmisher: 20x Blowpipe

Skink Skirmishers [70pts]
. 10x Skink Skirmisher: 10x Lustrian Javelins with Shield

Skink Skirmishers [70pts]
. 10x Skink Skirmisher: 10x Lustrian Javelins with Shield

+ Special +

Kroxigor [160pts]: Champion, 3x Kroxigor

Temple Guard [485pts]: 30x Temple Guard
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: BRB - War Banner

+ Rare +

Ancient Stegadon [260pts]: Two Giant Blowpipes
. Ancient Stegadon: Sharpened Horns, Unstoppable Stampede

++ Total: [2,500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

That was one bloody battle. Congratulations on the win. It read like it was a lot of fun!

I must say your experience with shooting matches mine. All my archers and RBT are blind and would fail to hit a house 5 feet away from them. I keep bringing them for some reason and I keep wondering why... ;)

On your army list, I personally never take either the Shredding tallons or the bows on the reavers. The bows are too unreliable and 5 shots have very little impact, even in the best of circumstances. And my eagles tend to die before they can do anything useful in combat, so I prefer to keep them cheap.

Thanks for sharing!
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.