Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12127
Location: Otherworld
Cëloril Le'fer has started posting 7th edition batreps on his blog but with 6th edition army books. Well worth a look:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=61988&start=60

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 115
Update time!

I was intending to attend on 15th October the following event: https://www.facebook.com/events/8707525 ... 188764916/
It is a 6ed (extended to include 7 and 8ed units adapted to 6ed) tournament organized by an association of players close to Barcelona (the 3rd one they organize).

It was my intention to attend and I was really excited about it but unfortunately real life has got in the way a bit, I moved house in September which hasn't helped my painting and it is the last year of my thesis which has not helped my painting either :roll: .
So in the end I had to cancel :( .

So far there are 19 registered attendants and if somebody writes a nice battle report I'll try to post a translation here!

There is another tournament in preparation for 18th November also in Barcelona, I'll see if I can attend that one but it depends a bit on how this month goes.

If I can't make it at least I'll do my best to paint (I have 5 Silver Helms half-done and next are some Reavers) and attend a 6ed tournament next year!

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12127
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
Update time!

Hi elendor!

elendor_f wrote:
So in the end I had to cancel

:(

elendor_f wrote:
So far there are 19 registered attendants and if somebody writes a nice battle report I'll try to post a translation here!

That would be great.

elendor_f wrote:
I'll see if I can attend that one

Good luck!

elendor_f wrote:
I'll do my best to paint

Bravo! It all sounds a bit like my 8th edition progress. After playing a couple of tournaments earlier this year, events in September and October (there’s another one but I can’t play it) fell through, though I’m hopeful for one in November.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 115
Long time no see!

I bring a 6th edition battle report between our traitor evil kin and our forest cousins done by some very crafty Polish gamers :D
I think it is very well written and the story and pictures give it a very White Dwarf (in the good sense) feeling!

Link: http://battle-reports.org/batrep-13/index.php

P.S. I found the link to the battle report in the Middlehammer Facebook group.

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:51 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6771
Location: The city of Spires
That's a great battle report. Love the pictures and the story line woven into the report. A lot of things happening.

It wasn't really a white dwarf battle report though, since there were actually tactics involved and "real" army lists instead of pure fluffy ones.... ;) But apart from that I agree with you.

Quote:
We both played well overall, but in a very gentlemanly manner and I think this is the way this game - or truly, any wargame - is meant to be played. In such circumstances, the joy of strategizing the most out of every move is much heightened.

This I very much agree with. It's a battle, and the point of it is to crush your opponent and kill as much of his stuff as possible. But it's also a game and meant to be fun. I would much rather lose a fun and gentlemanly battle then win a boring battle where I don't say more then 2 words against my opponent...

Quote:
While I could not predict the moment when Knights fail their stupidity, I feel I could have moved them in a way that would better prepare them for such a mishap

Hope for the best, assume for the worst, as the saying goes.

I agree that if you have the option to play in a way that gives you some fallback options it's always better to do so. Going all in is something you should only do if either there is no other option or winning is almost certain. Otherwise you should always keep in mind that the dice gods have a funny sense of humour and tend to screw you over at the worst possible time.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 115
Hi!

This is not strictly related to 6th edition, but I have started playing T9A with some local people! As far as I know most old Fantasy players in Belgium play T9A and now that the 2.0 edition seems stable (there is a small patch in May and Gold about the end of the year) I decided it would be a nice idea to play it, if only because that's the best way to get games!
I have played two games so far and I am liking it the ruleset. I am using a similar list to what I play in 6th edition:

(570) High Prince, Nova Flare (lance), dragonforged armour, shield, Diadem of Protection, elven horse

(515) Mage, Wizard Master, Cosmology, Book of Meladys, Talisman of the Void

(330) Commander, BSB, great weapon, longbow, Elu's Heartwood, Queen's Companion

(380) 25 Citizen Spears, champion, standard, musician

(280) 15 Citizen Archers, musician

(536) 9 Highborn Lancers, champion, standard, musician, War Banner of Ryma

(180) 5 Elein Reavers

(250) 5 Highborn Lancers, champion

(380) 5 Knights of Ryma, champion, musician

(582) 18 Sword Masters, champion, standard, musician, Navigator's Banner

(100) 1 Giant Eagle

(370) 2x1 Sea Guard Reaper

Total: 4493

The games were against experienced players, I was defeated but I learnt a lot and most importantly it was a lot of fun :)
I have another game tomorrow too!

For 6th edition I will keep playing it whenever I have the chance to go to Barcelona or Madrid, where the biggest groups are. Luckily for me, whenever I go back to visit my hometown I have to change from plane to train in either of those cities, so I have an excuse to stay for a day and play Warhammer :D
In October there is a big 6th edition event in Barcelona (we are expecting between 20 and 30 players), and I will definitely do my best to attend (I am waiting for the date to be confirmed).
Now the biggest challenge is to finish painting, I still have Reavers, Dragon Princes and 9 Silver Helms on the queue, plus two characters #-o

P.S. Picture of the deployment on today's game (my Eagle inspired by SpellArcher's icy colour scheme can be seen on the right :lol: ):
Image

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:12 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12127
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
I decided it would be a nice idea to play it, if only because that's the best way to get games!

Very practical elendor!

elendor_f wrote:
In October there is a big 6th edition event in Barcelona (we are expecting between 20 and 30 players), and I will definitely do my best to attend (I am waiting for the date to be confirmed).

Bravo!

elendor_f wrote:
deployment

Elves can't resist a weighted flank, can we?

:)

elendor_f wrote:
Eagle

Looking good!

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 115
SpellArcher wrote:
elendor_f wrote:
I decided it would be a nice idea to play it, if only because that's the best way to get games!

Very practical elendor!

elendor_f wrote:
deployment

Elves can't resist a weighted flank, can we?

:)

Well I have to say that besides the practical aspect, I have only played 3 games but I am finding the T9A ruleset pretty solid.
I can see why some people miss the whackier rules or some cool customization options, but I am having fun for now :)
Since I didn't play 8th edition I can't compare both, and there is less overlap with 6th so I feel like playing two somewhat different games.

Indeed, weighted flank is our preciousss :lol:

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6771
Location: The city of Spires
elendor_f wrote:
Well I have to say that besides the practical aspect, I have only played 3 games but I am finding the T9A ruleset pretty solid.

They're getting to a decent place with the rules I think. A couple of things in there that I'm not a fan of. Though the same can be said for 8th ed WH of course. But all in all a good place to be in. I am wondering what their plan is to keep the game fresh. GW sort of had a 5 year release cycle for BRB, new releases of army books in that time and new models, either to go with the new army books, BRB or just because. There is now none of that. And more drastic rewrites of the rules are a lot tougher to do as a community then as a single company. I guess we'll find out at some point in the future.

I'm sticking to 8th for the moment. Simply because I know people who play 8th and I don't know people who play something else. And I have little time at present to try and meet new people. :)

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2521
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Those Necrosphinxes - nice!

One of the downsides of playing 6th would be missing out on several of the big new baddies. You could make up your own rules of course, but its not "real" 6th ed at that point, is it?

9th Age seems to be focusing on their tournaments, drifting away from what warhammer used to be... 8th ed for life! :wink:

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 115
RE.Lee wrote:
Those Necrosphinxes - nice!

One of the downsides of playing 6th would be missing out on several of the big new baddies. You could make up your own rules of course, but its not "real" 6th ed at that point, is it?

9th Age seems to be focusing on their tournaments, drifting away from what warhammer used to be... 8th ed for life! :wink:


I completely understand people wanting to play 8th (or any edition), after all I play 6th.
I've never played 8th, although I did read the whole Seredain's thread last year (he was a very entertaining writer) and I peek at your battles in your thread RE.Lee, and it looks like fun :)

T9A is in a weird spot because they indeed are focused on balance at the highest level, but their main arguments are that a balanced ruleset + army books lead to fun for casuals / less competitive players since no matter which army list you build (within reason) you have a chance to win, and that it is a good foundation to build fluffier extensions on, like campaigns or sieges.
Several people within the T9A forum have been requesting more Background and more narrative options, and this has been an important source of debate (also less fixation on absolute balance through restrictions).
I can't blame T9A because the project runs on volunteers and the balancing task is massive, so I understand if several iterations are needed.
Part of my current enthusiasm is of course due to being able to consistently play with my models for the first time in 11 years :lol: Just for that I like the project.

To partially answer your question Prince of Spires, the current plan of T9A is to freeze the core ruleset patches in October, then spend 2 or 3 years re-doing each army book. They have already re-done Warriors of the Dark Gods, and released an alternative Army Book called Asklanders (less focused on huge armoured fanatics and more on nordic barbarians). So their way to keep the game fresh would be to re-do the Army Books.
Then at the same time the idea is to release the Background to give life to the game, and some additions like Campaigns.
This is what I know from reading the forum at least.

Regarding 6th, actually there is a project in a Spanish blog (main contributor is in Barcelona, hence the bigger community of 6th ed players there) which is adapting the rules of every model released since 3rd to 8th to 6th edition rules (models with 6th edition rules are kept the same). For example for monsters they built some cost tables and validated them with the costs of 6th ed monsters, then they used them to adapt the cost of 8th monsters.
I am currently helping them with an annotated version of the 6th ruleset (in Spanish).
It is true that as you say it isn't pure 6th edition, but it's a compromise between liking the ruleset (lots of nostalgia involved, to be fair) and being able to play with models released later (or before, Lizardmen can have their human slaves as in 3rd edition 8) ).
If you are curious, the layout is nice, this is the High Elves compilation:
https://www.cargad.com/pdf/mdnr/MDNRAEGE.pdf
It does not have that many new entries (Phoenix, Merwyrm, a Core unit with hand weapon and shield from 3rd edition, the Dragon Mage, Sisters of Avelorn, and Lion Chariot I think).

P.S. Yesterday I won my first T9A battle after losing 3 in a row :lol: My opponent was very greedy with his Sorceror on Disk and my Dragon Princes could charge him in turn 1, and then I was successful in a kinda long range charge with my Spears which allowed me to Overrun into the Rear of his BSB on some big Monster (I don't know the 8th ed equivalent), which I had also charged with the Helms+Prince. To be fair he also rolled really poorly for most of the game (he failed like about all 4+ Ward saves he tried).

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12127
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
I did read the whole Seredain's thread last year

Sound move elendor.

elendor_f wrote:
Yesterday I won my first T9A battle after losing 3 in a row

=D>

elendor_f wrote:
To be fair he also rolled really poorly for most of the game

Taking advantage of that is a skill in itself.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 115
So, the 6th edition event in Barcelona is confirmed! It will take place on 21st October.
Link to the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/519927878423014/ (they added the international part as a joke since a guy living in the UK and I are planning to attend :) ).

There are 68 seats (this is the maximum capacity of the place) and so far there are 14 registered players. I would not expect it to reach full capacity but hopefully we can get around 30 or 40 players (some people from a group in Madrid are planning to attend).

The event consists of 3 games, all using the same 2000 points army list:
- The first one is an adaptation of Blood and Glory with hidden deployment (players draw their deployment in a piece of paper and then hand it to the opponent).
- The second is Capture with diagonal deployment (16 inches separation between deployment zones instead of 24) and the three markers along the diagonal can be captured only by Core units (but not swarms or ratling guns or other units who are Core but not count towards the minimum number of Core units).
- The last one is the good old Pitched Battle.

I am registered already and I hope no unexpected event prevents me from attending :)
I have a list in mind and I will test it next week against one of the guys in Madrid since I'll be there visiting my family, and hopefully I'll make a battle report!

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:00 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6771
Location: The city of Spires
Good times! It sounds like a great event, even if only 14 people show up.

Have fun! And let us know how it went and what you're bringing etc.

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12127
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
players draw their deployment in a piece of paper and then hand it to the opponent).

This is always a recipe for fun!

elendor_f wrote:
I have a list in mind and I will test it next week against one of the guys in Madrid since I'll be there visiting my family, and hopefully I'll make a battle report!

Looking forward to this!

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group