Resolving multiple chargers from front arch (8th edition)

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Jallo

Resolving multiple chargers from front arch (8th edition)

#1 Post by Jallo »

I Hope You can help resolve this situation from a game last week, i really did spend some time searchinf for the answer but no result, even though it seems that it should be trivial:
My phoenix guards were charged by an ogre horde that had a wider base than my Phoenix guards did.
The following turn my opponent followed with a charge by another unit clearly in the front arch.
However because of the size of the first group compared to my PG there was no room. However there was room to flank and attack in the rear. Would the charger then move to the flank? (He could do this with one 90 wheel) Following rules for flanking? Or for normal charging?
Or how would you resolve this situation and why?
Thanks
John Rainbow

Re: Resolving multiple chargers from front arch (8th edition

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

He cannot charge that unit. Weird as it sounds if they are in the front arc then they have to charge the front arc. If there is no way for them to fit (which is what it sounds like) the unit is unable to charge. They would have to either wait until there is space (i.e. a lot of ogres die, note that the ogre unit in contact needs to maximize models in combat so cannot reform to allow the second unit to charge) or move to the flank to charge from there.
Jallo

#3 Post by Jallo »

It does sound weird! But that means that in that move phase he would have had to have used the move phase to move into flanking position, and reform if he had a musician, and then in the subsequent move round he would have been able to charge? (All else being equal - and here I'm think intervening eagles and the like).

Thanks for the reply!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a bit weird due to the fact that WH is only an abstraction to a real battle situation. So, rules that make sense in the game aren't always logical in real life.

I agree with John's conclusion. If the unit declaring the charge doesn't fit then it can't charge. If you are in the front arc then you have to charge that arc.

For specific page references, see p23 for information about multiple units charging a single unit: "On occasion, ... [this] might mean more units can complete the charge then git in base contact with the target... Those units that can not complete the charge are counted as having made a failed charge"

Note, this initially talks about multiple units charging in the same movement phase (hence the reference to a failed charge). Flank and rear charges are on p21.

Hope this helps.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Jallo

#5 Post by Jallo »

It does.
It was excactly the fact that it referred to same turn charges that had me confused!