2400 tournament list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
matrim

2400 tournament list

#1 Post by matrim »

Hello,

I'm about to enter a tournament under 8th ed rules. There are some units from ET allowed (glotkin, gutrot, etc but no Nagash or models from Khaine or Archaon). Usual BRB scenarios with added objectives (fortitude units capture or carry stuf, but has to be a unit, BSB or General don't count).

I thought taking a light hearted list but still don't want to be tabled 6 times in a row. :mrgreen: So any suggestions are welcome.

Idea is to combo charge with fliers, if needed with DM as well, use ER to capture objectives and run about, and archers & RBTs to shoot. I'm not sure which school to go with Eltharion (shadow, Death, life) Life is least favourite but could heal valuable wounds, shadow is useful, and death snipes. BSB will be sitting with archers but I put him on horse so he can run away or join reavers if required.

Thanks in advance.

Lords (1035pts)
o Anointed of Asuryan on FP(545pts)
AB - Golden Crown of Atrazar (10pts), BRB - Dragonhelm (10pts), BRB - Giant Blade (60pts), BRB - The Other Trickster's Shard (15pts)
o Eltharion the Grim on Griffon (490pts)

Heroes (580pts)
o Dragon Mage of Caledor (410pts)
(Ring of Fury, Dispell Scrol)
o Noble (170pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Dragon Armour (10pts)
Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed (15pts)
AB - Reaver Bow (25pts), BRB - Charmed Shield (5pts), BRB - Potion of Strength (20pts)
Core (640pts)
o Archers (220pts)
20x Archer (200pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
o Archers (220pts)
20x Archer (200pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
o Ellyrian Reavers (200pts)
Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
10x Bow (10pts)
Rare (140pts)
o Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)
o Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)
matrim

Re: 2400 tournament list

#2 Post by matrim »

This is the other list I have in mind;

Eltharion: Stormwing (Griffon) 485
Archmage: Talisman Of Endurance ; Feather Foe Torc; Dispel Scroll; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Metal 310

Noble: The Reaver Bow; Golden Crown of Atrazar; Charmed Shield ; Dragon armour; Battle Standard 145
Caradryan 170

10 Ellyrian Reavers: spears; bows; Harbinger; musician; standard bearer 220
20 Archers: musician; standard bearer 220
20 Archers: musician; standard bearer 220

20 White Lions of Chrace: Guardian; musician; standard bearer (Banner of the World Dragon) 340

Frostheart Phoenix 240
1 Great Eagle 50

2,400 points
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

First list I like a lot matrim.

You don't have the sheer power of the Star Dragon but you've got three very mobile medium hitters to overload the enemy. The shooting has got to be useful.

I'd be tempted to go Enchanted Shield on the Anointed, think I'd rather have the 2+ AS than the Fireward. Death is always good on Eltharion but Beasts could make him a real killer. I'd put Dragon Armour on the DM, individually the Fireward, 5+ AS and 6++ aren't awesome but together they're worth having. BSB is interesting, with those flyers there's no way he'll be a priority cannon target.

Second list is interesting, what's the thinking behind Metal magic, Caradryan etc.?
matrim

#4 Post by matrim »

Thanks for the initial response Spellarcher.
The second list spawned from the first one. I wanted to get more magic and a reliable hard hitting unit sweeping the rear.
Metal because I dropped RBTs so need a can opener, it also has some useful buffs. Other benefit is obviously FT if I have it the opponent may be forced to let Death Snipes from Eltharion.

I like Caradryan, besides he can dish out decent damage to multi wound stuff and tank it on a challenge reliably Yeah probably enemy will have fire ward but between BotWD and 4++ he can hold till help arrives. He also gives fear (I have a habit of failing those tests)

Eltharion and FP would be hanging out together in general
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

OK I'm seeing the Metal thing. You have plenty of S6 combat to deal with armour but not much ranged, so Metal makes sense.

Caradryan is helpful generally. His inability to get past 2++ Firewards is covered by the S6 Lions I feel. Plus he strikes first, so can strip Regen for the Lions.

Will the AM usually hang with the Lions?
matrim

#6 Post by matrim »

He sure will. If I put him with archers he'll be too exposed for attacks. Caradryan pushes him into second row. I thought about getting Korhil but he doesn't add much to a WL unit. And don't think a Noble would be as much fun or save enough points for using anywhere else.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

It's starting to make sense to me.

Those metal buffs might really help the unit vs elves for example.
matrim

#8 Post by matrim »

And hope you can see my dilemma as well. I'm not after winning every game but would like to be competitive. Which would you go with?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

The first army shouldn't upset anyone. It's got potential for some big wins I think but could come unstuck against cannon lists, especially if those have solid blocks the flyers can't safely charge to hide from shooting. It's a swingy list.

Second list has World Dragon and that gives you a world of options. Again, it's not an overpowered list but has some other strong elements like the Frostheart and Archmage. It's a safer list I think but retains some interesting elements. Personally I would go with this one because I like having an infantry block but that's just individual taste.
matrim

#10 Post by matrim »

The more I think about it I'm also leaining towards the second list. First one would be fun but feel one dimensional, I'll keep it in my back pocket for the garage games.

Thanks for the help, I'll post how it all went or even do a tournament rep (unless it is too painful to relive :wink: ). It will be a while though I have my final paper to be handed in a week after the tournament, some may say I shouldn't be rolling dice but typing the paper...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome matrim.

Be very interested to hear how it went.

Good luck!