Segway to Hell

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Segway to Hell

#331 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a bit the issue with playing 2000pts (or lower). There is not enough room to bring all the toys. And Deamons then lack a scroll, which means defence is an issue compared to a default lvl2 + scroll setup which gives you one extra magic phase where you can avoid the worst magic. Still could have hurt. Though mainly if the games would have run one or two extra turns. After all, scroll mind razor T4 and you have little to stop it with T5.

Going for better magic (offence and defence) would completely change the list though. Were you unhappy with the play style or was it mainly that it's a clear weakness of the list?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#332 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Were you unhappy with the play style or was it mainly that it's a clear weakness of the list?
In general Rod, I felt the list performed well. I had enough units to do what I needed and game three in particular would have been worse with a Monster Lord to protect against Ironblasters. While magic was an issue, it wasn't a huge one. It was well worth trying the playstyle out. That said, it did kind of feel like something was missing and the army was slightly less fun to play. I'm also missing the scroll. As mentioned, the lack of this is balanced out by the army's advantages but overall I think I'd rather have the scroll back. I also missed powerful fast attack options. The Fiends are a partial solution but they have limits. We return to the Monster Lord, who remains a double-edged sword.
RE.Lee

#333 Post by RE.Lee »

The list looked ok, but not for the scoring system. A monster lord, hiding behind a bigger unit of Beasts, with an even bigger unit of Plaguebearers (or something), would have made a great points denial list. Probably not that fun to play though. I'm really surprised with the VPs system they'e come up with, it really promoted conservative play.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#334 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:A monster lord, hiding behind a bigger unit of Beasts, with an even bigger unit of Plaguebearers (or something), would have made a great points denial list. Probably not that fun to play though.
TBH RE I've had too many games where losing the big guy to a lucky cannon shot has turned a win into a draw. I agree about the bigger units though. More effective here but just not my style.
RE.Lee wrote:I'm really surprised with the VPs system they'e come up with, it really promoted conservative play.
Their previous event had normal VP scoring but with complex add-ons, such as Secret Missions. It was too complex, so they tried to go as simple as possible here. I have to say though, the normal VP system with no add-ons would be my preference in a tournament setting (because of limited time). TO's always want to change something though.
RE.Lee

#335 Post by RE.Lee »

Can't blame them - things can get stale especially as there are no new army books now to mix up the meta. Still, the VP system had glaring holes in it.

I hear you on the disadvantages of having a big guy in an army list. There's always that large bullseye on him and if he doesn't get killed he often swings the battle so much someone always feels cheated. The Star Dragon is a prime example. So stick to your guns and make that MMU list work in a different environment!

Oh, did Skulltaker live up to your expectations? Him (or rather his unit) seemed mediocre throughout the tournament.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#336 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Can't blame them - things can get stale especially as there are no new army books now to mix up the meta.
I see things the other way here RE. I've only used three of the 8th edition army books, that's 12 or 13 armies I haven't even tried. I've played about 20 games with Wood Elves. Results hit a plateau but I know what's needed if I want to do better with them. Again, there's a lot of things I can change up about how I play Daemons. But in particular I've only played five games with the HE book and had success with quite a dodgy list. There is so much potential there. At something like the ETC, everyone brings similar stuff. But at my last tournament I played one Skaven list with double Aboms and Bell plus another with double WLC and 2x9 Gutter Runners. Designing a list to cope when people really do bring all sorts of stuff is a very interesting challenge, for me. Not to mention learning how to use that list to counter said stuff!
RE.Lee wrote:Oh, did Skulltaker live up to your expectations? Him (or rather his unit) seemed mediocre throughout the tournament.
They were OK. Yes they died horribly in game two but that wasn't fatal. In game one they dispatched the awkward Flamespyre and in game three they took out an Ironblaster. Hatred makes Skulltaker a very solid fighter, he did damage every time. Their drawback is cost. Plus Skulltaker doesn't help my magic phase much which in a Lord-less army is an issue.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#337 Post by SpellArcher »

Conclusion

So I finished 5th/12, par with my last two tournaments (4th/10 and 10th/22). Slightly disappointing to lose the last game as a win would probably have put me 2nd. But winning the first two then a narrow loss on Board 2 wasn't the end of the world. Interestingly, my last opponent also won two and lost one but finished 8th, despite scoring more VP's over his three games. Such were the penalties for bringing a (virtually) unpainted army! The winner was Lynsey Swift (see my last two tournament reports for games vs Lynsey's Skaven). Mark Peat was 2nd with his High Elves (again I've a report vs Mark earlier). Sam's Chaos Warriors were 3rd, he also won Best Painted, having an especially impressive freehand Battle Standard. My first round opponent , Alex, came 11th and second round , Carl, placed 6th.

As mentioned, there was a good atmosphere and the event was nicely run by Andy and Alex. Plenty of space , free tea/coffee etc., just generally pleasant. It was also good to catch up with some of the other guys from the Northampton tournament. Another Worcester event planned for April or so!

=D>

RE.Lee

#338 Post by RE.Lee »

Great to hear you had a good time! Making the top half is a solid result, but its the friendly atmosphere that counts the most. Again, thanks for all the reports and good luck with the next one :)
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#339 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a great HE display. A LSG Horde? :shock:

Congrats on the finish. How many points were you from a place higher or a top 3 finish? You could have saved a few points here and there I guess. But given your list, it was a pretty good finish I think. And of course, I agree with RE that having fun in a great atmosphere is what counts most.

What's the most valuable lesson you've learned in the tournament?

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#340 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Great to hear you had a good time! Making the top half is a solid result, but its the friendly atmosphere that counts the most. Again, thanks for all the reports and good luck with the next one
Thanks RE. Although it remains competitive, I'm quite enjoying the more laid-back feel and the hobby side.
Prince of Spires wrote:That's a great HE display. A LSG Horde?
Yes Rod! Sadly the picture doesn't come out in so much detail, we can't appreciate the nicely-worked waterfall for example. This was Mark's army. When I played him at Warwick he told me his units at the start. But mid-game I thought, oh, I'll just run my Seekers up in front of that Spear block. Oh dear!
Prince of Spires wrote:Congrats on the finish. How many points were you from a place higher or a top 3 finish? You could have saved a few points here and there I guess. But given your list, it was a pretty good finish I think. And of course, I agree with RE that having fun in a great atmosphere is what counts most.
Thank you. Probably a couple of TP's off. I scored 7 out of 9 for gaming (2 wins, one loss) and probably around 7 for painting but there were 11 available for this! Fighting World Dragon with a Daemon list that isn't crazy maxed-out is always difficult so I was happy with that win. Game three probably was about par. But again, the list was robust enough to make both games competitive.
Prince of Spires wrote:What's the most valuable lesson you've learned in the tournament?
More a question Rod, as I faced my second High Elf opponent.

"What am I doing playing the bad guys?"

:?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#341 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: More a question Rod, as I faced my second High Elf opponent.

"What am I doing playing the bad guys?"
:shock:
Does this mean we might see a return to the good guys some time in the near future? :shock:

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#342 Post by RE.Lee »

Now thats heresy! :lol:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#343 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Does this mean we might see a return to the good guys some time in the near future?
Yes. I've got Secret Santa to do and then we'll see.
RE.Lee wrote:Now thats heresy!
I was all geared up to get stuck into the Chaos Dwarfs but I think I love my elves too much.