Lothern Army 2500

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Jasseji

Lothern Army 2500

#1 Post by Jasseji »

Hello (and first post ;))

Based on stuff i found here and on other forums, i'd like to iron out a Lother Seaguard Army Plan:

Here is what i came up with (most things still open as i only started collecting now from IoB - restart after few years not playing WFB).

Lords (595pts)
Archmage (220pts) High Magic, Wizard Level 4
Prince on Griffon (375pts) Longbow, Armour of Caledor, Star Lance

Heroes (459pts)
Lothern Sea Helm (130pts) Reaver Bow, Enchanted Shield - Joining one unit of LSG in place of Champion
Lothern Sea Helm (179pts) Battle Standard Bearer, Bow, Armour of Silvered Steel, Luckstone - Joining one unit of LSG in place of Standard Bearer
Mage (150pts) Lore of Fire, Wizard Level 2, Seer Staff of Saphery

Core (736pts)
29x Lothern Sea Guard (368pts) Shields, Musician and SB
29x Lothern Sea Guard (368pts) Shields, Musician, Champion

Special (569pts)
5x Dragon Princes of Caledor (145pts)
14x Sword Masters of Hoeth (212pts) Full Command
14x White Lions of Chrace (212pts) Full Command

Rare (140pts)
2x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)

I am targeting as much Missile power as possible, even was considering dropping the Dragon Princes in fawor of Reavers.

As suggested somewhere else, the lvl2 Wizard is taking Fire Ball and Flaming Sword, Archmage will roll

Options:
1. Go either full WL or Full Swordmaster for RP/Story purposes
2. Drop 1 Bolt Thrower for 1 Eagle and add Silver Wand to Archmage for +1 Spell and for rest 10 points either add Champion to 1st LSG Group or Seed of Rebirth to Archmage or Prince

I have been playing WFB and High Elves from 3ed to 6ed (then a few years of break), recently my wife bought me IoB and offered to build a Skaven army for herself (Cannon Fodder style :D)

Commenst/Flame welcome ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Lothern Army 2500

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Jasseji!

It looks like you are using the 7th edition army book and not the 8th?

Fire is a decent pick but I feel you need Shadow because Withering is such a multiplier, especially with Curse of Arrow Attraction. I would stick a Dispel Scroll on the Archmage because auto-stopping a key spell is that good. I also feel you could do with a pair of eagles as redirectors.
Jasseji

#3 Post by Jasseji »

SpellArcher wrote:Welcome Jasseji!

It looks like you are using the 7th edition army book and not the 8th?

Fire is a decent pick but I feel you need Shadow because Withering is such a multiplier, especially with Curse of Arrow Attraction. I would stick a Dispel Scroll on the Archmage because auto-stopping a key spell is that good. I also feel you could do with a pair of eagles as redirectors.
Hm, i'm calculating with the help of Battlescribe - i was under the impression the latest stuff is there in the package i downloaded (t says ed 8) - what makes you say 7th ed ?

Drop what for the eagles ?
I was thinking of changing the BSB to a normal Noble BSB on Griffon and dropping the Prince altogether then would have some points for the extra 2 Eagles + dispel scroll
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Well, Seerstaff no longer exists, for one!

A Griffon is always risky. TBH I'd be more inclined to take that risk with a Prince than with your BSB , who is badly needed within 12" of your most important units. Though in the 7th edition army book Nobles are not allowed to ride Griffons. You could drop the Griffon and replace the Reaver Bow noble with a Prince with Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon and magic bow.
Jasseji

#5 Post by Jasseji »

Hm, that's why i couldn't find the Staff in the Army Builder :P

Eagles then, dropping Griphon and exchanging DP's for Skycutters

Lords (496pts)
Archmage (275pts) Lore of Shadow, Wizard Level 4, Book of Hoeth
Prince (221pts) Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Reaver Bow - Joining one unit of LSG

Heroes (324pts)
Lothern Sea Helm (179pts) Battle Standard Bearer, Bow, Armour of Silvered Steel, Luckstone - Joining one unit of LSG
Mage (145pts) Lore of Fire, Wizard Level 2, Dispel Scroll

Core (746pts)
29x Lothern Sea Guard (378pts) - Shields, Full Command, Prince joining here
29x Lothern Sea Guard (368pts) - Shields, Champion, Musician, BSB joining here

Special (690pts)
2x Lothern Skycutter (240pts) with Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower
16x Sword Masters of Hoeth (238pts) Full Command
14x White Lions of Chrace (212pts) Full Command

Rare (240pts)
2x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (140pts)
2x Great Eagle (100pts)

TOTAL: 2496pts

One change possibly: reduce SM's to 14, remove reaver bow from prince and mount Archmage on Eagle
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

It's decent. Skycutters are unfashionable but they won't break the list. I'd be inclined to go for a single, larger unit of Swordmasters or Lions because they die quickly, 14 was a better size under the 7th edition book. The unit also badly needs Banner of the World Dragon, which protects it from a lot of things.

Archmage on eagle is interesting but risky. Talisman of Preservation would be essential and even then you'd need to be very careful to keep him away from enemy shooting. Prince needs his magic bow here!
Jasseji

#7 Post by Jasseji »

SpellArcher wrote:It's decent. Skycutters are unfashionable but they won't break the list. I'd be inclined to go for a single, larger unit of Swordmasters or Lions because they die quickly, 14 was a better size under the 7th edition book. The unit also badly needs Banner of the World Dragon, which protects it from a lot of things.

Archmage on eagle is interesting but risky. Talisman of Preservation would be essential and even then you'd need to be very careful to keep him away from enemy shooting. Prince needs his magic bow here!
Ah, you mean put the BSB inside the SM or WL unit with World Dragon Banner ?

What magic Bow are you referring to ?
Cant find any reference in the army books (except you mean just a Longbow)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, BSB in the World Dragon block is generally a good idea.

In the 7th edition army book you had the Seafarer Bow option but 8th book only offers Reaver Bow.