Advice appreciated, two different Star Dragon lists

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
PadForce

Advice appreciated, two different Star Dragon lists

#1 Post by PadForce »

All, I have recently finished painting my Star Dragon, and am trying to figure out how to run it. I would appreciate any advice between these two 2400 lists.

The plan with both is obviously to run up as fast as possible.. Star Dragon / Phoenix(s) in the front of units, SH bus in the side to break steadfast. I would take more Ellyrian Reavers, but without another banner in core, I could lose a blood and glory scenario immediately if a lucky first turn of shooting / magic shot the dragon to pieces.

1) The beasts list is more aggressive.. with less magic and a more vulnerable SH bus, but an extra frosty for support (I had been considering running a flamesphyre instead). Hoping either for a big +3A / +3S spell, or even a couple of S10 bolt throwers to help win combats.

Lord
Prince
Star Dragon
Shield
Lion Cloak
Heavy Armour
Talisman of preservation
Star lance
The other trickster's shard
Dragon helm

Archmage - Lore of Beasts
Level 4
Elven Steed
Dispel Scroll

Hero
Noble
Battle Standard
Banner of the World Dragon
Dragon Armour
Lance
Shield
Elven Steed
Ithilmar Barding

Noble
Dragon Armour
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield
Dawnstone
Elven Steed
Ithilmar Barding

Core
Ellyrian Reavers x5

Archers x15
Standard Bearer

Silver helms x15
Shields
Full command

Rare
Frostheart Pheonix x2
Repeater Bolt Thrower

2) High magic list: more magic in general with the BoH and a support metal mage. Tankier Bus with the High ward saves, an extra bolt thrower, but only 1 phoenix. Big gains are the potential to heal characters and shadow walk the dragon. If one of the front 5 in the SH bus goes down, the lvl 1 can be sent to the front lines instead of the lvl 4.

Lord
Prince
Star Dragon
Shield
Lion Cloak
Heavy Armour
Talisman of preservation
Star lance
The other trickster's shard
Dragon helm

Archmage - Lore of High Magic
Level 4
Elven Steed
Kaine's Ring of Fury
Book of Hoeth

Hero
Noble
Battle Standard
Banner of the World Dragon
Dragon Armour
Lance
Shield
Elven Steed
Ithilmar Barding

Noble
Dragon Armour
Ogre Blade
Enchanted Shield
Luckstone
Elven Steed
Ithilmar Barding

Mage - Lore of Metal
Elven Steed
Dispel Scroll

Core
Ellyrian Reavers x5

Archers x16
Standard Bearer
Musician

Silver helms x14
Shields
Full command

Rare
Frostheart Pheonix
Repeater Bolt Thrower x2

Cheers,

P
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Advice appreciated, two different Star Dragon lists

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

I prefer list 2 for High Magic and the flexibility.

Be tempted to drop the support Mage and upgrade Noble to Prince to give the bus more punch.
PadForce

#3 Post by PadForce »

Thabks for the reply and im inclined to agree with you in leaning towards the High list. If the list works out i may take it to a tournament later in the year and the meta seems elf heavy at the moment so soul quenches will be great.

On the support mage i am kind of loathe to play a list like this without a dispel scroll.. if you lose the bus or the sragon you have basically lost the game. Thanks for the suggestion though - ill have a quick look at what i could do there.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome.

I'd drop the Book. You're still casting at +5 and the list hits like a freight train. Magic should be support IMHO.
Maturin

#5 Post by Maturin »

"or even a couple of S10 bolt throwers to help win combats" How would you do that ?
PadForce

#6 Post by PadForce »

One of the powered up beasts spells is a S10 bolt thrower if I am not mistaken? Been a while since I used the lore so may be mistaken.

As it happens, I played the High list against Woodies at the weekend: it was a heavy victory for me, but much closer than id have liked... Star Dragon down to one wound.. spirited away by a powered up Walk. Silver helm bus got annihilated by Waywatchers no armour shooting, but he couldnt kill my characters with his treemen because of the BoTWD.

I took sword of the anti heroes on my prince in the end, but think ill go back to the starlance.

High: I really like this lore.. for all the problems you have with spell selection and having to chose between ranged and hexes/buffs spells, the utility is incredible.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Well played, Wood Elves are not easy.

I feel Anti-heroes goes great on a Noble but a Prince needs killing power vs everything he's likely to meet. My experience with High so far is that it's great some games and a bit quiet in others but Shield of Saphery is always on and my solo Archmage phase is primarily defensive anyway.

Amber Spear rocks. Draws scrolls and now and then you'll kill a monster, solo character or war machine with it.