The Cradle of Civilisation

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Giladis
The Merlord

The Cradle of Civilisation

#1 Post by Giladis »

Shields were splintered, spears were broken and Ulthuan sank...

We are the preeminent High Elf forum on the internet and we are aware of our responisbility to serve as a focal point for all things Asur related. With the coming of the Age of Sigmar and our rechristening into Aelfs our responsibility hasn't changed. With the new game and soon to be released new models we are seeing an upsurge in new topics. If GW's plan works we are also expecting new faces to join our site.

We value the community we've built and we hope and expect that you'll respect that. Unfortunately, we have lately seen a selection of posts that do not conform to the standards we are used to. In order to show the wider audience we are just as civilized and well mannered as our Asur alter egos, we kindly ask you to post in a helpful and friendly manner so everybody can feel at home at Ulthuan.net.

The Loremaster council
John Rainbow

Re: The Cradle of Civilisation

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Thanks for posting this Giladis. I agree that this needed to be said (and am not blameless in this regard either). Keep it positive and lets see where we end up guys!
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Absolutely. The general level of respect, politeness and helpfulness has been one of my favourite aspects of the forum until the last couple of weeks, where I've noticed a bit of Twitteresque nastiness. Ulthuan the island may be gone but let's all try to keep it's spirit and principles alive forever.
Makiwara
Chronicler

#4 Post by Makiwara »

I say take a page out of the End Times and the last Phoenix King's policies.

The crime of murder? Death!
Unpaid parking fine? Also Death!

If End Times has taught us nothing else it's how to enforce a peace on very separate factions!

:lol:

Or we could just agree to be nice and pleasant to each other, either way it gets the job done.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Andrew_uk

#5 Post by Andrew_uk »

I agree completely that any debate on here should remain well structured, civilised and impersonal. It shouldn't insult anyone and should be designed to discuss.

However, I also agree with SpellArcher who posted in another thread saying (something along the lines of) "some fans had spent many hundreds, maybe even thousands on GW only to have GW turn their back on them. Those people need to vent their frustration somewhere."

*Edited to include the exact post now that I found it...
People can debate about what they like. If a guy's built Warhammer armies for 15 years and now finds them obsolete, I'm not going to tell him he can't feel bad about it. Sure I'll ask him to stay polite and respect other posters' opinions but he can vent all he likes.
Now I ask, where better than somewhere where many others probably feel the same?

Those fans that bought into the franchise didn't just buy models, they bought into a game, into a community, into the fluff... Now GW is destroying all of that. They won't let you play older editions in their shops (which in the UK are always the primary focal point of any local community).

I think lots of people want to give AoS a chance and good for them, Im not going to start telling them it's the wrong decision for them. T up AoS would be wrong for me, but only I am qualified to make that judgment.

For the rest I think there are a reasonable number of people out there wanting a true fan made 9th edition. This is an awesome opportunity as we can start with a blank canvas and write something that supports all armies ever created and does so in a way which is more balanced than any previous versions. I think Ulthuan.net has enough collective knowledge, experience and intellect here to do that better than anywhere else.

Doing so requires debate on everything that has worked well in previous editions and everything that has worked badly - and most importantly WHY they have been good/bad. Without that debate it just won't happen.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log