Tournament 3000 pt

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Maturin

Tournament 3000 pt

#1 Post by Maturin »

Hello everyone.

I intend to play in a tournament in two weeks. I have to send my army list in two days max.
There is a comp system that says :

- IF you play an EoT army ; -2
- If you play Host of the Eternity King : -3
- If you play Malekith : -1

Otherwise nothing much to say. 50% of lords, no core requirements, no grand army coutn towards rare, possibility to play EoT magic without an EoT army.
I(m still waiting a reply from the org in order to know wether I must own Khaine's EOT or not, in order to play Host of the eternity/Phoenix armies.
Meanwhile, I just thought of a reguar HE army list, but with TEclis using EOT magic.

Lord

Teclis 450 points
Anoynted of Asuryan Giant Blade, Discord Helm, cape of beards. 310 pts.

Heroes

Noble, BSB, shield, lion cape, Armour of destiny. 151 points.

Units

Phoenix guards x21 ull command Razor standard 345points
Archers x15 musician 160 points
Archers x18 musician 190 points
Hoeth swordmasters x20 Full command 290points

White lions of Chrace x20 290 points

Rare

RBT X4 : 70x4 = 280 points
Frostheart Phoenix 240 points

Total 2996 points.

I'd like to play Teclis EoT magic style and shut my opponents magic everyturn if possible, then nuke with him. Never played EOT before, do you think it's doable ?
What do you think of the set up ? I could split the masters in 2*10 in order to make to rank Small Units, or play them like chariots (front of 2, 3 deep).

Looking forward to hear from you guys :)
Ladril Caledor

Re: Tournament 3000 pt

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I assume you mean to use Teclis with High magic so you can use Deadlock. As good a spell as it is, you can't really depend on it every turn. Even with +6 to cast you need to roll a decent number on your dice limit. It might work in half the phases until Teclis dies.

The problem is that by going with High for Teclis is that you only get eight spells. You don't even get the loremaster re-roll as it doesn't say loremaster in his rules. I think a High Archmage with Book of Hoeth is better than a High Teclis under Khaine magic rules, because you get the same 8 spells, you can reliably one dice most of the spells and repeatedly spam them, easily casting multiple hand of glory, soul quench, and apotheosis, and almost always having a 3+ ward on the unit.

However if you go with the 8 lores for Teclis in Khaine magic, he is absolutely incredible. Every spell, every end times spell, +5 to cast each time, no broken concentration. So many options and he will always have a killer spell for any occasion.
Maturin

#3 Post by Maturin »

You're assuming right :).Thank you for your insight.

Let's say I could play Alarielle with him too, do you think it would be worth having Teclis as a loremaster and Alarielle giving every unit at 12" either the 5+ward save or if incarnate is allowed without the khaine army book, the 4+ regeneration save ?

Asking for a confirmation, but with Teclis as a loremaster, there's no need for a Light coven build, right ? He already has much deadlier spells.
Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Teclis and Alarielle in a Host of a Phoenix King is strong. I would still consider adding another light mage with a Dispel Scroll though. Having the two dispel scrolls really helps, and spam S6 banishment is a powerful spell that is cheap enough to spam (Teclis has more powerful spells but they can only be attempted once per turn and it's really hard to roll enough dice to get them through). Can't really emphasise enough how powerful magic becomes under Khaine rules, so its worth investing a lot to ensure magic dominance. Spamming lots of cheap or mid cost spells seems to work best.
Maturin

#5 Post by Maturin »

I see. I edited the list, listening to your advice.

Here it is :

Lord

Teclis 450 points 8 domain loremaster.
Alarielle, 375 points. Life, High and Light loremaster.

Heroes

Noble, BSB, shield, lion cape, Armour of destiny. 151 points.
Mage, lvl1, dispell scroll, Light domain.

Units

Phoenix guards x21 ull command Razor standard 345points
Hoeth swordmasters x6 65 points
Hoeth swordmasters x6 65 points

Rare

RBT X4 : 70x4 = 280 points
Frostheart Phoenix 240 points

Total 2992 points.

Now, I'm thinking about deploying like that :

At first I wanted to put Teclis and Alarielle in a 30 man archer Unit, I really wouldn't like them to go into combat. Since I'm still a newbie, can I ask you what would be the best placement for both of them ? And I would of course take the whole space, in order for not letting ambushers come by the back of the board. it happened to me once and I've learned my lesson ^^.
Ladril Caledor

#6 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Most players would put Alarielle and Teclis in a big White Lion or Swordmaster unit with Banner of the World Dragon. The magic and miscast protection is great for such an expensive unit.

But putting them in a big unit of archers isn't a bad idea either. With Khaine magic the 3+ save is easy to get, so they are well protected, and spam Walk Between Worlds can keep them out of enemy charge range but within range of spells and bows. Teclis has some miscast protection anyway and Alarielle can cast Throne of Vines and/or stick with the small spells to prevent miscasts miscasts. Plus you have great combos like Withering and Hand of Glory that can lay waste to opponents with the archers.
Maturin

#7 Post by Maturin »

Thanks for your reply Lorhil ! I didn't think about Move between worlds that way, but it's interesting.

So, btw I was totally wrong about the rules of the tournament. I'm still fairly new to the Hobby and I understood the "Unlimited" part of the Tournament as : Bring whatever you want.
That's not it at all. I still have to respect the 25% core, 50Max lords 50 max heroes etc.

So with that in mind, I designed something veryyyyyyyy not nice (or so I think). What do you make of it.

Host of the Eternity King (comp -3).

Lords :

DE sorceress. Lvl 4. Ring of Hotek. Sacrificial dagger. 295 pts
HE Archmage. Lvl 4. Book of Hoeth. 275 pts
Loremaster of Hoeth. LVL 3 (Thanks to) Book of Ashur. Luckstone. 305 pts

Heroes :

DE Master BSB. Heavy armour. Enchanted shield. Sea wyrm cloack. 110 points.

Core :

WE Glade guards. Hagbane tips. 20 man. 300 pts.
WE Glade guards. Hagbane tips. 20 man. 300 pts.
WE Glade guards. True parabol. 10 man. 160 pts. Musician.

SPecial :

HE White lions of Chrace. 40 unit man. 600 points.
DE 3 Reaper Bolt throwers. 210 points.
HE Phoenix Guards. 15 man unit. 300 points.

Rare :

He 2 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower. 140 points.

I inted to have both Loremaster and Highelf archmage boosting the archers and balistas several times in a row. Then If needs be, High elf sorceress raise back some power dice. SHouldn't abuse taht though, that's broken but not illegal.
High archamge is here to try to shutdown the enemy's magical phase for one turn, yummy. Loremaster for swiss army knife magic.

What do you think of it ? I'll be facing some very very high level players, and I'm a total noob :D.