Can griffon nobles work?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
ietgas

Can griffon nobles work?

#1 Post by ietgas »

How viable is it to run multiple ~300-350 point nobles on griffons, and have them act as support units? With 8 ASF attacks on the charge, at strength 6, it seems like they can hunt monsters, clear chaff, and act as medium support units that can attack units that a star dragon would be wasted on. They could probably also team up and combo charge larger units.

At 2500 points, a list could field around 4 such nobles, and dance around an opponent.

Noble on griffon: 326 points
-Heavy armor, lance, lion cloak
-Swiftsense, swooping strike
-Khaine's Ring of Fury, golden crown

What about kitting him with: potion of strength, reaver bow, enchanted shield? Or a minimalist build, without magic items or only a charmed shield/golden crown? With four, I'd probably run one with ring of fury, one with ruby ring of rhuin, one with reaver bow+potion, and one with just shadow armor.
pk-ng

Re: Can griffon nobles work?

#2 Post by pk-ng »

For fun? Sure it'll work
For tournament? Not cost effective. Griffons are expensive monsters with no save and get can taken down easily.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with pk-ng here. Don't expect to win a tournament with them, but in a casual list they can work.

They probably are a bit matchup dependent. Some armies have little issue with a T5 4W monster, either because they have enough high S shooting, because they mainly field high S and high armour models or because they are immune to thunderstomp. Armies like ogres, dwarves, empire will probably give you a very hard time.

On the other hand, there are also armies that will have trouble with multiple high speed monsters. Both when trying to catch them and when trying to hurt them. Against those armies it can definitely work.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
cptcosmic

#4 Post by cptcosmic »

works if you can hide it from shooting and attack over a corner in close combat.
Maturin

#5 Post by Maturin »

Wouldn't it be fun to have a noble BSB with BOWD on a griffon ? Dwarves/daemons fire attacks ? Up your kilt ^^.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Has to be worth a try!

:)
Maturin

#7 Post by Maturin »

So. On my last frieendly game against some dwarfs, I used a Griffon BSB with Banner of the World Dragon and a Dragon Mage with Crown of Atrazzar, Ironcurse Icon and Enchanted Shield.

The first turn, I really screwed up with my dragon. I don't know why but I was afraid of his puny Gyrocopter, or maybe because on our previous game, his two gyros roasted my 10 Shadow warriors +champ with reaver bow on turn one after they failed to finish off the two gyros already baddly damaged on my magic phase ;). Thus, I don't fly the dragon 20 inch in order to put him in a charge position. I just make him advance 10".
The first turn, ironcurse icon saves Dragon from his canon. Second turn I fry his troops with a 2d6 fireball with 12 wounds :D. Then, the canon kills my dragon, and the Enchanted shield saves the mage. After that, he didn't bother coming after my mage. Why ? Because while I screwed with my dragon on the right flank, I did move my GRiffon BSB at max speed toward his grudge thrower (who did a good job on my 40 man White Lions horde, with like more than 10 kills on 2 rounds). My Griffon is set up for charge, he redirects with the Gyro who was fleeing away from my dragon (what a noob I am, HE was afraid, I shouldn't have been ;D), next turn I charge the griffon, wreck the gyro and on his turn he fires with the canon and ....

SURPRISE. BOTWD GRIFFON. Your canon shot ? I shrug it off with my 2+ ward. Hahahahaha.

My friend was like : Wooooooooooot :D. I took the Grudge thrower, then afterward the canon, my White lion won their fight as always. Hecarved through my archers with his miners and warriors on my right flank. Tadaaaaaa. That was fun. I won't play that in a tournament though, since the Griffon has no scaly skin. Would he have it ... it would be worth a try ;).

Hope you enjoyed reading that.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice!

Was the Gyro right in front of the artillery? Because if there's room behind, the Griffon can make a flying charge right over it.
Maturin

#9 Post by Maturin »

I checked the pictures of the game, there ws no room. My friend has been playign for several years, he knows those little tricks !
But thanks SA for telling me about the flying charge, I didn't know it at all. Guess I should be rereading the BRB :D
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome Maturin.

With a lot of flyers around, redirectors become less crucial though they can still be handy of course, as here.