How to beat an Emperor Carmine Dragon

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ladril Caledor

How to beat an Emperor Carmine Dragon

#1 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I'm playing a game soon against a Dark Elf army that will feature an Emperor Carmine Dragon, the Forge World special model. Technically it is only supposed to be a bound monster for Storm of Magic but we are interested to see how this would rock in a regular match. For those unfamiliar, here is the statline:

M8 WS8 BS- S8 T9 W9 I7 A8 Ld10 Monster 700pts
Terror, Large Target, Scaly Skin 2+ Breath Weapon = Coruscating Blast (aim like a cannon 12" away from dragon, roll artillery dice to determine 'bounce', reroll misfires, any models caught in blast suffer D3 wounds with no armour saves)

Yeah. Plus he tells me he is paying the extra 140 points to make it a full Level 4 Lore of Death. This final aspect might be the scariest...something that tough and maneuverable with all those character snipe spells...ouch.

Any ideas on how I will take this thing on? I don't know what else he is taking in his list, but we are playing 2400 points. I have a pretty good range of models so I'm flexible in what my list could be, but no End Times stuff allowed except for 50% Lords and Heroes (and the Carmine will come out of his Lords allowance).

Problem is I don't really see anything in the High Elf book that can hurt this thing with so many wounds at T9. Even a Giant Blade can only wound it on 6's. My only hope might be static combat res, ranks, banners, flank and rear charges and maybe a couple of lucky wounds hopefully might be enough to make it break...but that is a big 'maybe' considering he will still have a fair size Dark Elf army preventing that from happening. Avoidance doesn't seem like a good idea either as this thing can do a lot of damage with its magic (and breath weapon) and it is extremely fast and agile.
theviking

Re: How to beat an Emperor Carmine Dragon

#2 Post by theviking »

Mindrazor.
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

theviking wrote:Mindrazor.
I would back the idea for super magic. Or getting it stuck in CC with something tough or in a challenge - you can often bounce and run down such units if you challenge then beat them on combat res.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Double Searing Doom looks tasty, also good vs any peg heroes he might bring. Amber Spear and Savage Beast are also powerful. Hex scroll might be worth a try, or feeding it stuff and just aiming to kill the rest. Ranks are pretty decent vs Dark Elves in general.

Does it have magic attacks?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

With a 2+as I would go for searing doom. Easier to cast, you can have multiples of it. And 7 hits wounding on 2+ will put a serious dent in it.

So bring a loremaster and teclis and you'll have 2 searing dooms and mindrazor

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ladril Caledor

#6 Post by Ladril Caledor »

No magic attacks, unfortunately. World Dragon won't help me here, actually it will hurt me by making the Carmine stubborn!

Perhaps a level 4 shadow and level 2 metal is the way to go. Loremaster and Teclis combo might be even better, I think he will focus on dispelling Searing Doom so it will be great to be able to cast it twice a phase. Other than that I was thinking White Lions (for stubborn) and Phoenix Guard (target for Mindrazor) in special, and lots of small units of 6 reavers with champions in core, as they can hold up the Carmine in a challenge (we decided we will treat it as a character ) and still be steadfast. This should give me some time to eliminate other threats.l
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

It's a tricky one.

Normally you really want World Dragon on Lions because the cloaks only work against non-magical shooting. Against this is the Stubborn dragon thing and the fact that Dark Elf shooting isn't magical, the pegs carry lances etc.. Miscasts blowing up the unit would be a problem (especially six-dicing stuff) but Teclis can negate his first one and the Loremaster can sit in PG, who suffer less from this.
Cold Phoenix

#8 Post by Cold Phoenix »

I second the above posters. The other way that might work would be Lore of Beasts for Boosted Amber Spear/Savage Beast on a Giant Blade Prince.

Alternatively, there's always the End Times. Tyrion, Avatar of Khaine, or a charging Imrik should both be able to beat the Carmine Dragon in melee.