2000 pts list for a small tournament

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
swordofglass

2000 pts list for a small tournament

#1 Post by swordofglass »

Hi,

I'm very new to high elves and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this list?

2000 pts

Anointed: Frostheart Phoenix, Giant Blade, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown of Altrazar
Archmage : Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Endurance, Elven Steed

Noble: BSB, barded steed, lance, shield, BotWD

15 Silver Helms: Shields, FC
5 Silver Helms: Shields, banner

5 Dragon Princes: banner

Bolt Thrower
Flamespyre Phoenix

I felt like taking a block of infantry would go against the feel of the list. I couldn't afford to take another Noble for the SH bus unfortunately.
I know Flamespyre Phoenixes are not as good as Frosthearts but 1) I don't want to be 'that guy' who takes 2 Frosthearts and b) I have the model. But I'm unsure whether it would be better to mount the Anointed on the Flamespyre (for resurrection shenanigans) or the Frostheart.
Not sure whether 15 SH and BSB is too weak without a second Noble?
I don't want to make a ridiculously broken list but I'm not a particularly skilled tactician so I'd like something reasonably strong to compete in the tournament. It's only a friendly small tournament and I don't want to just 'play to win' so I felt this list (no star dragon, no 4x BTs, a Flamespyre) might be good but not too overpowered.
Any thoughts?
Ladril Caledor

Re: 2000 pts list for a small tournament

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

One thing is your Silver Helm bus comes in at 17 models with characters, which is a bit of an awkward size. 15 would be better. Dropping those two Helms also gives you points for an eagle for extra chaff.

One combo I quite like is the Anointed on Flamespyre with Reaver Bow, khaines ring, glittering scales and the golden crown. You just keep flying over and burning stuff, then blast soul quench then fire the bow. Lots of fun and if you get charged they are mostly hitting you on 5's and you probably have a 3+ ward, plus Golden Crown and Phoenix Reborn. But if you equip the Anointed for combat with the Giant Blade he is better off on the Frostheart, and I'd say Khaines Ring might not be worth it in this case as you want him in combat as much as possible,not firing magic missiles.
swordofglass

#3 Post by swordofglass »

Thanks for the advice. Problem is, my core is exactly 500pts, so i can't drop any SH to buy an eagle. Considering dropping the DPs to buy an eagle and another RBT but worried that just leaves me with too few threats on the board. Also since I only have 1 Noble, the Archmage will be in the front rank. This seems like a bad idea but I can't see a way round it.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel you could safely drop the DP's, you have two Phoenixes.
Ladril Caledor

#5 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Also since I only have 1 Noble, the Archmage will be in the front rank. This seems like a bad idea but I can't see a way round it
I used to have a serious aversion to putting my archmage in the front rank, but I've started doing it all the time now. Once you start putting in enough characters to push back the archmage you are getting into deathstar territory, with all the weaknesses that come with that. I think you are taking High magic, so I'd suggest Loriel's guide to give you some good pointers on keeping the archmage alive on the front line.
Galdor

#6 Post by Galdor »

If you are using High magic you should be able to get the Archmage's ward up from 5++ to 3++ if you can get 2 spells through a turn. If you prioritise casting the lower value spells, that should be possible especially with Book of Hoeth! With a 3++ he is not all that easy to kill.