breath weapons and hellheart

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
thommo21

breath weapons and hellheart

#1 Post by thommo21 »

Besides avoiding them, whats the best way to counter or survive Breath Weapons and the Ogre item "hellheart"
matrim

Re: breath weapons and hellheart

#2 Post by matrim »

Cannot comment on breath weapons other then peppering the model with RBTs and hoping for the prince or WL to chop its knees off before it breaths... May be PG / Everqueen / Annointed for in built ward saves.

BotWD should negate hellheart.

I suppose magic is another alternative;
Breath weapon is bad for us because of low T, so Life with flesh to stone and regrwoth should help.
Hellheart can be destroyed by High magic, which in turn provides wardsave to the unit. (helping against breath weapons) Arcane unforging has 24' range so opponent either uses it and rolls the distance or loses it. :D
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

As said, arcane unforging can destroy the hellheart. BotWD does mitigate the miscast damage effects but you still miscast and could lose dice or the wizard or levels so I don't see that as a viable option. The best bet is to figure out which character is likely to have it and keep your mage out of the way (if possible ) until you are sure or can kill the bearer - remember that it is 50pts so not much room for other items! It is also commonly found on heroes not lords so they have no other kit.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

The question is whether Runemaw works if Unforging targets a single model in the unit because chances are all characters will be in with the BSB.

He has to get close to not waste Hellheart. Splitting wizards up lessens the impact a little, though it can still nullify the magic phase.

Lion Cloaks work against most Breath Weapons, same with high armour saves (knights).
matrim

#5 Post by matrim »

SpellArcher wrote:The question is whether Runemaw works if Unforging targets a single model in the unit because chances are all characters will be in with the BSB.

He has to get close to not waste Hellheart. Splitting wizards up lessens the impact a little, though it can still nullify the magic phase.

Lion Cloaks work against most Breath Weapons, same with high armour saves (knights).
According to Ogre book Runemaw would not affect the unforging. It only protects against spell affecting the unit, not character snipes.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel it's a bit ambiguous.

While it's only one reading, I lean towards the ETC interpretation. Runemaw works on a 2+ but if so Unforging can then target another model in the same unit who also gets a 2+. If this succeeds you can target a third model and so on.

I can see the idea that a single model is not 'the unit' as a whole but it is still part of the unit and hence 'the unit' is being targeted. I agree you can also read it the other way though.
OrkBeard

#7 Post by OrkBeard »

Silverhelm darts can be effective at sniping characters with poor saves, like a hero with the hell heart. Life magic is very good at stopping the hell heart and breath weapons. Throne ignores miscasts on a 2+ and flesh to stone makes us tough enough to shrug off most breath weapons.
Eirik

#8 Post by Eirik »

OrkBeard wrote:Silverhelm darts can be effective at sniping characters with poor saves, like a hero with the hell heart. Life magic is very good at stopping the hell heart and breath weapons. Throne ignores miscasts on a 2+ and flesh to stone makes us tough enough to shrug off most breath weapons.
Just keep in mind that even ogre hero wizards have 4 wounds, 5 toughness, shields and parry saves, allowances to take magical armor, and are generally placed in the 2nd or farther back rank. Even in the front rank a block of 15 silver helms is going to be hard pressed to remove one, and I don't think a dart will accomplish much of anything.

Ogres also tend to stick all their characters in one unit, since it makes them less vulnerable to save-or-die magic, and to tricks like silver helm darts. Those bodyguards are going to be more than a match for S5 lances.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011