High Elves 2000pts - 1st army

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
StratoKhan

High Elves 2000pts - 1st army

#1 Post by StratoKhan »

Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I have decided to collect High Elves, and also run an army. I will paint them a bit on the darker spectrum, with some attempts at freehand and occult iconography. Will be a nice change after Orcs and Skaven.

I have a 'byproduct' collection of High Elf models due to my purchasing of a certain number of Island of Blood starter sets. I can still definitely tweak things a little if advised but keep in mind that for me the core of the army will be what you get in the starter sets, I won't be buying Dragon Princes, Silverhelms, White Lions any time soon. Would have liked Phoenix Guard... What broad shoulders! But it'll have to wait.

LORDS - 21%

High Elf Prince (Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Talisman of Preservation, Heavy Armour, Shield)
on Griffon (Swooping Strike, Swiftsense)
Total: 419pts

HEROES - 14%

High Elf Noble, Battle Standard Bearer (Banner of the World Dragon, Ironcurse Icon, Heavy Armour, Shield)
Total: 156pts

High Elf Mage, Lore of Life (Level 2, Dispel Scroll)
Total: 120pts

CORE - 31%

15 Spearmen, Full Command (Banner of Eternal Flame)
Total: 175pts

15 Spearmen, Full Command
Total: 165pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers, (Spears and Bows)
Total: 95pts

SPECIAL - 27%
39 Swordmasters of Hoeth, Full Command
Total: 537pts

RARE - 7%

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

TOTAL: 1997pts

MY COMMENTS:

I generally run Orcs or Skaven so I am used to lots of expendable infantry, especially with Skaven. I hope this won't be a steep learning curve...

Lord: The Lord is meant to be mobile and pick his own battles, but knowing he is worth a lot of points I gave him equipment that conferred high Armour and Ward saves (He's a Large Target and will probably draw fire). I chose him over an Archmage. The alternative was Archmage and Noble on Griffon. The Star Lance and Griffon upgrades should ensure he is more formidable in combat. On the charge he's quite powerful, maybe he lacks bite 'post-charge'. Of course it's clear that I forfeited magic dominance going this route.

Heroes: Battle Standard goes in the unit of Swordmasters, and Banner of the World Dragon is there to compensate for lack of magic supremacy. He isn't packing much heat apart from that. Gave him Ironcurse Icon as it was cheap and a tiny advantage vs. War Machines, which all large units should be scared of.
Mage is Lore of Life, hopefully will augment the Swordmasters, who are a bit brittle with just 5+ saves. Equipped him with a dispel scroll.

Core:
Elven Spearmen are there to support the Swordmasters flank charge, sacrifice themselves, any duty that will help beat the enemy. Not much to say?
Reavers are there to create a diversion. Engage war machines, other fast cavalry and generally disrupt plans. I was wondering if it made any sense to use them to screen infantry units if the situation called for it.

Special:
The large block of Swordmasters is hopefully a dangerous unit, high Weapon skill, high Initiative and Strength 5 should be a good combination. I would expect them to be a good match for most elite infantry. Of course the low Armour saves and Toughness are an issue but I tried to do what I could to compensate.

Rare:
I count on the Bolt Throwers to pick off any threats. I have almost no firepower so this will help. Not sure if they take up two Rare slots or one, the book wasn't that clear on that.

C&C welcome.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: High Elves 2000pts - 1st army

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome StratoKhan!

I'm assuming you're not using the GW FAQ's which allow for 50% Lords, else my advice would be different.

Firstly I'd merge the Spears into one, more combat-worthy, unit. You have the Reavers for small unit support. Banner of the World Dragon is probably better carried by the Swordmasters themselves, leaving the BSB to take other items. I would strongly consider switching out the Life guy for two High Mages. These can sit in the Swordmasters, improving the Wards from Ironcurse and Deflect Shots with Shield of Saphery. Crucially, they improve defence whilst casting spells that impact the enemy directly. I'd be tempted by Scroll and Fury Ring on one guy and Sceptre of Stability, Talisman of Endurance and Ironcurse on the other. I'd cut Swordmasters to find the points. Mid-20's is enough because of World Dragon and Shield.

Reavers should be useful too for redirecting enemy units.
matrim

Re: High Elves 2000pts - 1st army

#3 Post by matrim »

Ulthuan is a great community for any HE player. I have been playing just over a year and support/feedback from this group have helped immensely. Welcome.

I wouldn't think I'd recommend Eltharion in two lists in one day :lol: Anyway he costs more than the prince (490 with his pet Griffon) but he is a level2 caster who can reliably dish out damage in close combat.

Agree on the SM numbers you don't need 39 of them, it'd great if you can horde them into a fight 79 S5 attacks but I doubt your opponent will allow that :wink: You can use the extra points for another Lv2 or upgrading your Spearmen to LSG with shields, they'd give you extra shooting and still do the same job as spears.