5k Tag team vs. Nagash and the Undead

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
sco0terkid

5k Tag team vs. Nagash and the Undead

#1 Post by sco0terkid »

So, my buddies and I are planning a big match to start off our campaign. With me starting and slowly working on my high elves, I figured I'd use them in the campaign. Another buddy brought up how little he actually gets to use Nagash, so we decided to let Nagash show all of his glory in a huge 5000 points match with 4d6 power dice. Since my army is relatively low in points, I'll be tag-teaming with a friend who plays Lizardmen, and we'll both have 2500 points. I figured I could use some criticism on my list.

Lords*
x1 Archmage on Elven Steed - Level 4 - High Magic/Talisman of Endurance (250)

Heroes*
x1 Noble on Elven Steed - BSB/Barding/Heavy Armor/Shield/Spear/BotWD (168)
x1 Noble on Elven Steed - barding/heavy armor/shield/dragonhelm/ogre blade (141)
x1 Mage on Elven Steed - Level 2 - High Magic/Dispel Scroll/Ironcurse Icon (160)

Core*
x16 Silver Helms - FCG/shields (398)
x6 Silver Helms - Champion/Banner/shields (158)
x6 Silver Helms - Champion/Banner/shields (158)

Special*
x28 Phoenix Guard - FCG/Razor Standard (495)

Rare*
x1 Frostheart Phoenix (240)
x4 Bolt Throwers (280)
x1 Eagle (50)

Figured it's pretty standard (Well, at least in ETC with a few more pool choices.. Which is what I based this list on). I chose Phoenix guard over white lions purely because I love the look of phoenix guard. Big cavalry bus with BotWD should be relatively un-touchable. Went with high magic since Arcane Unforging can destroy Nagash's usefulness, and the other spells can be very useful. Also, what should my Lizardmen friend bring to help combat Nagash and his evil undead force? I've been told he'll be bringing a Slaan (don't know what lore), a brick of temple guard for him to sit in, a couple dinosaurs, and skink cloud.

Overall, it should be a fun game, but I won't be one to make it easy for the likes of Nagash! :P
Mentheus of Chrace

Re: 5k Tag team vs. Nagash and the Undead

#2 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

What is your plan for dealing with ethereals? It looks like you only have Soul Quench, the Frostheart and an Ogre Blade to deal with them.
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Eirik

#3 Post by Eirik »

I agree that ethereals may be an issue. Many of the things you have that can deal with it (combat res knights, phoenix) don't want to be in combat with banshees, and magic missiles won't help against enemies in a unit. 20pts for a +1S sword on a PG captain is an option, but otherwise I don't see a ton of solutions. Just be good in the movement phase I guess.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
theviking

#4 Post by theviking »

To win this game you need to kill Nagash early otherwise you'll do nothing but fight summoned junk and never kill anything worth points. I'd take Teclis and a light council (including the slaan) and keep it walled in with fighty blocks so he can't summon units where they can charge your bunker and prevent magic missiles. Pump banishments and RBT's into Nagash until he's dead then worry about the rest.
sco0terkid

#5 Post by sco0terkid »

Took everyone's comments into consideration (And thank you for the criticism by the way! Very much appreciated!), and I think the idea of running Teclis sounds more fun to me. He'll also be incredibly useful in the long run. I did a total re-haul of my list and came up with this, along with my thinking of why it's included:

Lords*
x1 Teclis

Because Teclis.. obviously. For the spells i"m going to be choosing, I think the best selection would be:
Flaming Sword of Rhuin
Wyssan's Wildform
Enchanted Blades of Aiban
Shem's Burning Gaze/Banishment
Flesh to Stone/Dweller's Below
>Insert Lore of Heaven's spell here< Not sure what spell.. Debating between comet/magic missle
The Withering
Purple Sun of Xereus

This provides me with a couple magic missles, options to gain magic/flaming attacks, increase T/S to sway some combats/prevent damage, and a good ending spell which also allows me to gain a bunch of dice (With Vampire Counts/Tomb Kings low initative, I can take advantage of this and deal massive amounts of damage and gain 10-15 extra power dice to get my other spells off).

Heroes*
x1 Noble - BSB/Great Weapon/Dragon Armor/Obsidian Lodestone/Charmed Shield (159)

Not putting BotWD on him means this guy doesn't have to sit in the unit of white lions, but can protect another unit (say the archers), and hang back in safety.

Core*
x25 Archers - musician (260)
x6 Silver Helms - shields/musician (148)
x6 Silver Helms - shields/musician (148)
x5 Ellyrian Reavers - bows (85)
x5 Ellyrian Reavers - bows (85)

Archers can gain magic/flaming attacks to try and take down ethereals and put some wounds on anything with regeneration. The cavalry allow me to gain some control in the movement phase without sacrificing much.

Special*
x28 White Lions - FCG/BotWD (444)
x24 Phoenix Guard - FCG/Razor Standard (435)

Defense is the name of the game. We can just sit back and cast all of the important spells and shoot as much as possible. But getting into combat is still an option. It's not like we instantly lose as soon as we get touched.

Rare*
x4 Bolt Throwers

Some pew pew.

Comes up to 2494 points. What do you guys think? My main concerns are how to protect Teclis and what spells he should choose.. Teclis going down early could mean the end of this army's usefulness in its entirety.
theviking

#6 Post by theviking »

Well I wrote up a decent wall of text and then the interwebz ate it. Here's the short version, that I can remember.

I still recommend a light council. You can drop the extra points of core, a few command upgrades, a white lion or two and some of the gear on the BSB (since he will be hiding in the archers) and afford two L1 light mages. This gives you a scroll caddy, S6 banishment, and an extra arcane slot (powerstone? forbidden rod?).

On Teclis' spells, take banishment over shems as it is cheaper and forces rerolls on the ward saves. Also since he picks the spell you can have the light slaan roll for it and have two S7 banishments. Take throne of vines for your life spell to keep teclis safe, he'll allow it with the threat of banishment on the table. Harmonic convergence for your heavens spell, try to bubble it on the RBT's. Purple sun is great if you can get teclis into a good spot to use it, but that could be risky. Soulblight is probably more universally useful, especially with withering and wildform.