ETC 2400 shooting army

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
centesombra

ETC 2400 shooting army

#1 Post by centesombra »

Hi guys! I´ve been thinking about an army focused on the shooting phase, I think it could be surprinsing for the enemy:

* Archmage: Shadows Lore
- lvl4, Book Of Hoeth, 4+ Ward save

* Mage: High Magic Lore
- lvl 2, Dispell Scroll, Fury Ring

* BSB with heavy armour and no-heros sword with merwym shield

* Everchosen sister with Ellyrion Bow and Potion of Strengh

* 2x 15 archers with musician and banner

* 4x 5 ellyrion reavers with bows

* 22 White lions Full Command Group and Banner of the Dragon

* 4 bolt throwers

* 17 sisters of Avelorn

* 1 great Eagle

I have shadows as the main Lore for my army with the book of Hoeth due to i consider this lore very interesting when I have shooting, reducing Th, using O spell for winning combats and the Okkam´s Mindrazor with the book and 4 dices It´s not so difficult to cast...

My first idea was to include Alith Anar in the army but i was counting points and He costs more tan 17 sisters of Avelorn!!! :shock: so I changed my mind and I put the sisters of Avelorn Unit with the hero and I like them!

What do you think about this kind of lists for High Elves on competitive environment?

Regards!
Ladril Caledor

Re: ETC 2400 shooting army

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I like it. You have a lot of shooting, and if you can cast Hand of Glory and the Withering you can wipe out huge chunks of your opponents army. You also have plenty of chaff and redirectors. I don't know if shooting armies are the strongest type for High Elves, but this is a really good shooting arny.

I'd consider putting the reaver bow and potion of strength on the BSB instead of the handmaIden, as she already has a pretty good bow and when you do use your 'super shot' with the potion you will probably want to aim at a different target to the Sisters.
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

Very 1 dimensional list. Concept it very similar to what Furion used for 7th Ed HE.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

It's interesting.

More commonly, you see a big unit of PG here instead of the Sisters+Handmaiden, so there could be a question mark over whether the list can hold a fierce attack, especially from hard flyers. It's got all the shooting tools though. I feel Reaver Bow is OK on BSB here but if you're taking the Handmaiden it should go on her with her BS7 and Quick to Fire. Might be worth putting Ironcurse Icon on BSB to stack with Shield of Saphery. Replacing the Lions with PG is an option, especially with Shadow and Shield.
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#5 Post by Axiem »

You'll want MR3 instead of Talisman of Preservation on the Archmage. The Lions are too small for the characters to bunker there, which means you'll have to ditch to Archers or Sisters, which will make your BSB, Level 2, and Sister all free points when playing against sniping spells in turns 4+.

Also, 4 units of Reavers really is too many. You'll want some Helms in here to provide you board control; more than anything else, this will buy you more turns of shooting, which you desperately need. I'd go with 2x 6 Helms, 18ish Archers, 2x 5 Reavers or 3 x5 Helms, 18ish Archers, 5 Reavers. There's also a large incentive to give at least one unit of Archers a Champion for lists like these.

Hope it helps!

Axiem
qwe50

#6 Post by qwe50 »

I am not a fan of those static shooty lists but lets have a look.
In my oppinion you have to be able to threthen long to prevent an opponent from rushing you, combat reform and flyers make it harder to stall and angle. It will be better if you can stall and angle but also have some mighty long range hitting power opponent don't really want to move forward against.

i have add a giant blade Prince and changed the lions to Princes - there job is to stand in the middle of you army and give field controle so opponent can't rush.

Archmage: Shadows Lore @ 320
lvl4, Book Of Hoeth, 4+ Ward save.

Prince @ 277
Giant blade, dawnstone, enchanted shield, Dragon armour, barded elven steed.

Noble BSB @ 140
Reaver bow, Potion of strengh.

21 x Archers @ 230
Standard, musician.

20 x Archers @ 220
Standard, musician.

5 x Reavers with bows only @ 85
5 x Reavers with bows only @ 85

5 x Silver helms with shields @ 115

10 x Dragon Princes @ 370
Full command and banner of the World dragon.

4 x Bolts @ 280

Great eagle @ 50

16 x Sisters of Avelorn @ 224
Love making army lists
Don't believe MSU
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm also not a fan of these static lists - I used to play one and they have some very polarised matchups. For example Dark Elves can be terrifying as they can deal with the chaff and get into CC with your relatively soft combat units.
centesombra

#8 Post by centesombra »

Hi guys! Thanks for the answers!

I´m gonna explain a little my list idea:

I always play High Elves as an agressive army, star dragon, frostheart Phoenix, lots of cavalry units... or like a balanced army with an archmage or two, antoined on a flamespyre Phoenix, 4 bolts, reavers, silverhelms...

But thinking I designed a super defensive army, with as much redirects units as posible and useful for hunting warmachines or other enemy staff (that´s the reason for the 4 units of reavers and the Eagle)

It´s a fact that the unit of sisters with the handmaiden it´s not the most effective and dangerous unit in warhammer, but I think the times I used them it worked... they gains a lot with quick shootting rule for the handmaiden... 4 bolts are must have here, and I think archers can do a great work dealing with staff or machines too, and with shadows lore can also be a problema if i achieve to reduce Th 1d3 to a infantery unit...

I think it could be interesting the change you propose: 1 unit of archers for silverhelms to have a threat... I will study it!

I also think the dark elves matchup or even Wood elves are not as difficult as you think... i have a lot of St4 shots to deal with cavalry, and the lions are almost a rock for their héroes for the banner of dragon... archers could deal with their bolts or crossbowmen... I think so, maybe I am wrong... And with Wood elves almost the same, the key is to start the game... threating kournus to stay far the distance of my shots and managing the trueflight arrows as son as posible...