2500 All Comers

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Timharper

2500 All Comers

#1 Post by Timharper »

I am still getting back into WFB and trying to come up with an all-comers list for my gaming club that I like. I have recently been using a Star Dragon Knight-bus list with double frostheart but found that I struggled against the meta at my club, and am not really experienced enough to push effectively. I have therefore designed the following, which is more defensive but hopefully has enough options in it that if I need to be a bit more offensive I can be. Any thoughts welcome:

Lords
Archmage (level 4 - Shadow) with Book of Hoeth and Talisman of Preservation
(with Archers)

Heroes
Mage (level 1 - Beasts) with Dispel Scroll and Ring of Fury
(with White Lions)

Mage (level 1 - High) with Chanelling Staff
(with Phoenix Guard)

BSB with HA, Shield of Merwryn and Sword of Might
(with Phoenix Guard)

Core
6 Silver Helms, Shields, Standard, Champion

6 Silver Helms, Shields, Standard, Champion

15 Archers, Musician

15 Archers, Musician

Special
22 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard

23 White Lions, Full Command

Rare
3 Bolt Throwers

9 Sisters of Averlorn

2 Great Eagles

Total Points 2500

The idea is to use a (hopefully) dominant magic phase to boost the PG ward save and use Wysans on the WLs as well as to use the AM to make the enemey weaker. I can then use my shooting to thin them out with the sisters there for anything with Regen. I then use the PG and WL as a hammer and anvil when the enemy gets to me; with the Silver Helms and Eagles hunting wizards / war machines / redirecting.

Does this look fairly balanced, or is it missing anything glaring?
centesombra

Re: 2500 All Comers

#2 Post by centesombra »

Hi! I like the list but I would make several changes:

* I think you beasts mage is so expensive for only having the wissan, maybe you could use those points in other things (like the 4th bolt thrower)

* If you want the 3++ Ward sabe in your phoenix guard, I would put a lvl2 high mage with fury ring and dispell scroll inside them and you can make sure your guards have the better Ward save posible.

* In my opinión, the 9 sisters of avelorn won´t do anything... i have played them lots of times but never do anything... in The only case they are dangerous is when you invest a lot of points (by creatting a 20 sisters of avelorn unit with a high sister of the queen with a Strenght Potion and the Reaver bow)
Timharper

#3 Post by Timharper »

I think I agree on the beasts mage - I was looking to get an extra attempt at channeling on a 5+, but 100 points is a lot for on average an extra 2 dispel dice and 2 casting dice through a 6 turn game.

If I get rid of the sisters, my concern would be that I wouldn't have anything to effectively take on regeneration. I admit that hasn't always been needed, but my sisters have in the past allowed me to really hurt units of trolls / hellpits with my bolt throwers.

That said, if I remove them both I suddenly have an extra 226 points to play with...
centesombra

#4 Post by centesombra »

I suggest you to use those points in:

* 35 points in the lvl2 for the high mage

* 50 for the dragon banner in White lions

* 70 in the 4th bolt thrower

* 15 in an extra Phoenix guard

* the rest in more lions (i think 4 more lions)

Regards!