How would you deal with Chaos Soldiers

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Prince

How would you deal with Chaos Soldiers

#1 Post by Prince »

Hello guys I'm 14 I have been playing and collecting a high elf army for 4 years. I have taken part in several big comps but there is one army I am struggling to beat. My step dad has a chaos army. His front is a fast moving Calvary with a lord up next to them. Wolfrick with a ship that transporters his marauders and 12 skilled swordsmen behind the Calvary. I get screwed over every time. If anyone has come against a similar tactic, not nesecceraly with the chaos army plz write bellow :idea:
Loriel

Re: How would you deal with Chaos Soldiers

#2 Post by Loriel »

Prince wrote:Hello guys I'm 14 I have been playing and collecting a high elf army for 4 years. I have taken part in several big comps but there is one army I am struggling to beat.
First of all I think it is great to read when people play with their parents ;) (I hope one day when my children grow up little more I get a chance to fight them ;) )
Prince wrote:His front is a fast moving Calvary with a lord up next to them
I take he has old school Chaos Knights or skullcrushers? (I doubt you are reffering to marauder horsemen as they shouldn't be much of a problem for us) Incase he uses ensorcelled weapons any unit with banner of the world dragon can deal with them.
Bolt throwers are good to get rid of some of their models, or dictate their movement. Placing bolt throwers to flanks usually forces your opponent hand not to expose flanks to it and might end up more favorable movement. White lions have enough strength to fight them head on and allthough going on same initiative will make his cavalry be slightly more effective. Depeding what lore you are using, for example miasma (from shadow), speed of light (from light), hand of glory (from high) Frosthearth phoenix would give you first strike over them which really matters.

Unit of phoenix guard razorbanner can take charge in and hold.

Hard to say exactly how to tackle the chaos lord. Can you give little more detail is it somekind of monstrous blender or the notorious unkillable tzeencth lord. Most likely that lord has magic weapon so trying to get the banner of the world dragon right in front of that unit will deal it pretty well. To ensure that using reavers or other stalling units to bind them in close combat. If the lord isn't particularly killy ( but rather defensive) then frosthearth phoenix can pretty much tank the knight unit easily.
Prince wrote:Wolfrick with a ship that transporters his marauders and
There are few ways to deal this unit. First and most easiest is to reserve reaver unit to stall it movement. Especially if your step dad uses mark of khorne, using frenzys forced overrun can work wonders.

One other way is to advance aggressively with your units and making the ambush less effective.

Magic and shooting will do plenty of damage to those unarmored toughness 3 models. If you step dad like to include warhounds and marauder horsemen as chaff medium unit of archers could be really good choice. Against armored units those archers can do pretty much nothing. deploying that archer unit either in building or in angled formation in flank so that they could target those marauders the turn they come up without moving will have rather ok effect. With any luck your step dad will hunt the small / medium archer unit with the marauder + wulfrik spending about 300 - 400 points to get rid of unit of about 100 - 200 points is nothing more than effective.

---

If you have enough time and motivation make a battle report with pictures (i suggest using battle chronicler) and post it on this forum. That is one of the best ways to not only get tips but also to educate your self on this game. When making the report I have numerous times realized few things what I should have done and noticed errors in rules etc. It will take some time, but all in all it is really rewarding.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Lady Phoenix

#3 Post by Lady Phoenix »

30 x Lothern Sea Guard plus 11 Dragon Princes with Noble/Prince in a 6x2 formation (probably Prince if he is carrying a lord)

Sea Gurd in a 10x3 shooting formation, if they get charged you get 30 free hits and then a reform to a 5x6 formation giving you lots of extra bonus` on the combat res.
Then you charge them in the side with the Dragon Princes who have something like 26 attacks with lances BANG!

If they dont charge your unit of sea guard then just hit them with 26 charging attacks from your DP.

Then of course you have any other long range goodies at your disposal, just as RBT as mentioned earlier.

I dont know the Chaos army book but Im guessing he has no ballistics which means that either he will take a shower of arrows from your SG, or he will want to move into within normal movement range of your archers to stop them firing, however, by doing that it then opens him up for a charge from your DP`s.

I know that I wouldnt fancy taking 56 hits (with possible re-rolls) into my chaos knights against anything, let alone something like the DP`s

Attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis, comes to mind.
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#4 Post by Axiem »

Hello guys I'm 14 I have been playing and collecting a high elf army for 4 years. I have taken part in several big comps but there is one army I am struggling to beat. My step dad has a chaos army. His front is a fast moving Calvary with a lord up next to them. Wolfrick with a ship that transporters his marauders and 12 skilled swordsmen behind the Calvary. I get screwed over every time. If anyone has come against a similar tactic, not nesecceraly with the chaos army plz write bellow
Your best bet is Banner of the World Dragon in White Lions and a Cav Bus to support. Here are a few options to get some ideas flowing:

Archmage, General, Level Four, Lore of Heavens/High Magic, Book of Hoeth, 275
Noble, BSB, on Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, 170
Mage, Level Two, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll, 145

14 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command, 352
6 Silver Helms, Shields, Champion, 148
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Champion, 125

25 White Lions, Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon, 405
25 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard, 450

Frostheart Phoenix, 240
2x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 140
Great Eagle, 50

TOTAL: 2500

Characters go in the Lions, Eagle points can be used for customization. Lore of Metal helps with Knights (6-dice Big Searing Dooms at Skullcrushers and Knights) and Heavens / High are both good all-round lores and will ensure you win combats. Use the small units of Helms to clear chaff and control board space (put them in 2 x 3 formation) and keep the big unit of Helms in reserve: they are your hammer. Control board space with your Phoenix Guard and Lions, buying time for more spells / shooting and don't be afraid to back up! You want the game to go long if possible.

Here's another option:

Anointed of Asuryan, General, on Frostheart Phoenix, Heavy Armour, Halberd, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness, 545
Noble, BSB, on Barded Elven Steed, Heavy Armour, Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, 159
Mage, on Elven Steed, Level Two, Lore of High Magic, Talisman of Preservation, 175
Mage, on Elven Steed, Level Two, Lore of High Magic, Dispel Scroll, Ironcourse Icon, 160

18 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 444
2x 5 Ellyrian Reavers, 160

25 White Lions of Chrace, Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon, 408

Frostheart Phoenix, 240
3x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 210

TOTAL: 2498

There are some points to play with, and you can also swap the Two Level Twos for a Level Four on High Magic instead. Two Frosthearts will seriously help your odds, White Lions will hold your center, and the Helms and Anointed form the "hammer" of your army, waiting to countercharge. Again, try and take the game long, using the Frosthearts to rack up easy points and buying more time for your shooting to take effect.

Hope that helps!

Axiem
Prince

#5 Post by Prince »

So I am playing on Saturday and a made a rough copy of the roster here it is

Tyrion (400pts)

Mage (135pts)
Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 2 (35pts)
Speed of Asuryan, Valour of Ages (FAQ'ed)

Noble (133pts)
Dragon Armour (6pts), Lance (4pts), Shield (2pts)
Speed of Asuryan, Valour of Ages (FAQ'ed)
Barded Elven Steed (16pts)
Barded Elven Steed
Swiftstride
Magic Items (20pts)
BRB - Biting Blade (10pts), BRB - Talisman of Protection

Core (615pts)
Archers (230pts)
20x Archer (220pts), Champion (10pts)

Lothern Sea Guard (385pts)
Champion (10pts), 30x Sea Guard (360pts)
Martial Prowess (FAQ'ed), Speed of Asuryan, Valour of Ages (FAQ'ed)
Standard Bearer (15pts)
First Among Equals (5pts)
BRB - Gleaming Pennant (5pts)
leaming Pennant One use only. Can re-roll it's first failed Ld test

Special (866pts)

Dragon Princes of Caledor (195pts)
5x Dragon Prince (150pts), Standard Bearer (20pts)
Speed of Asuryan, Swiftstride, Valour of Ages (FAQ'ed)
Champion (25pts)
BRB - Luckstone (5pts)
Name Protection
Luckstone One use only. Re-roll a single failed armour save.

Ellyrian Reavers (143pts)
Champion (7pts)
8x Ellyrian Reaver (136pts)

Lion Chariot of Chrace (140pts)

Sword Masters of Hoeth (204pts)
10x Sword Master (150pts)
Champion (17pts)
BRB - Ironcurse Icon (5pts)
Standard Bearer (37pts)
AB - Lion Standard (25pts)
Name Magic Property
Ironcurse Icon Bearer + unit he is with have 6+ WardSave against war machine weapons.
Lion Standard Immune to Fear and Terror AB p101

White Lions of Chrace (184pts)
Champion (12pts), 10x White Lion (150pts)
Standard Bearer (22pts)
BRB - Banner of Eternal Flame
Banner of Eternal Flame Flaming Attacks (BRB-69).

Rare (100pts)
Repeater Bolt Thrower (100pts)
Loriel

#6 Post by Loriel »

you seem to have older army book (point cost and special rules)

latest 8th edition have some difference.

I love skeinsliver in old armybook, to give that extra +1 to starting the game. I usually gave it to champions of the special choices
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame