Optimal point level for High Elf

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Finatain

Optimal point level for High Elf

#1 Post by Finatain »

I usually have low point games around 1000 points. This works great for some armies but not so great for high elves. I notice we struggle a bit at low points having less tools for certain situations then other armies would.

At what point level do we "optimize" at? Why
Loriel

Re: Optimal point level for High Elf

#2 Post by Loriel »

hmmm.. I generally consider that 2400 points is very optimal point cost (not only for high elven but pretty much for each armies)

But to answer why, that is whole another story ;) perhaps that is the point allowance where magic seems to be in good balance. If you go bigger games magic starts to be less significant and in smaller games magic becomes somewhat erratic especially if you have low level casters.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

I would say you need more than 1500pts to get a decent HE list. HEs require a lot of synergy between units, etc and this isn't as easy to achieve at lower points levels.
Finatain

#4 Post by Finatain »

wow 2400 points! That's alot of models and alot of money
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

it helps a ton if you gaming buddies isn't too strict on the proxy things. that lets you test stuff and allows you to go little bigger.

another way to "add" model counts in units is to make some kind of unit fillers. For ideas use google search "unit filler" ;) Undeads are propably the best army have unit fillers as they get tons of extra parts (usually extra hands and stuff) and making bases that only have like hand incoming from the base to represent just resurrected models is easily accepted. Allthough you better make sure your opponent agrees of using unit fillers.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Finatain

#6 Post by Finatain »

Oh there would be no problem with proxies, we proxy entire armies sometimes. Its just that I like the army I use to be completely assembled and painted. Makes it feel right and good. 2500 would increase my army by 150%. Might be worth it once 9th edition comes.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think that actually you can play a decent game from 1000pts and up, 500 is a bit tougher because you run out of points after a general and a core unit. The main requirement is that you agree with your opponent to build a list aimed at having a good time and not one that tries to bring the most bad-ass stuff you can fit in a list.

If you do it this way, then that 1000 points army will look a bit like an army and have a decent chance of fighting whatever is across the table. If you don't do it this way then, as the others point out, there are some things that simply break the game because they are very hard to deal with at low points. Which then turns the game into more of a rock-paper-scissors game then it already is.

If you want to bring what-ever strong choices are in the book then I agree with the others and you need to play above 2000 pts (2400 or 2500 are the most common in my experience).

But if you just want to have a good time with friends and a fun battle, then 1000pts and up works fine.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.