Great Eagle units

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Loriel

Great Eagle units

#1 Post by Loriel »

Hello!

I am tempted to try bigger unit of great eagles as fast flank hammers as they don't claim any rank bonuses for being unit with two or more flyers -> Skirmishers.

This is actually rule question but
- does skirmishers disrupt?
- if does eagles disrupt with at least 6 models in 3 wide formation?

There are tactical questions
- Have any one tried bigger units of great eagles? How did they perform?
- Would fully upgraded birdies be the best approach, or is 15 points too much for asf + ap?
- What lore?
- Lore of Beasts
- obvious wyssans
- Pann / savage beast if the list would include characters on eagles.
- Lore of Light
- bironas timewarp, extra attack (3 from supports) and ASF (save points)
- pha's niche protection for our naked birdies
- light of speed, obvious for CC purpose ;)
- Lore of Life
- Wounded eagles can be healed with lifebloom (though only 12 range. well eagle archmage)
- Flesh to stone, T6 eagle unit? Yes please
- Regrowth, D3+1 (or D6+1) wounds recovered (as it is in faq). I checked the rules and only cavalry count as two wounds. This would be really good spell for this list.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Ladril Caledor

Re: Great Eagle units

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Skirmishers don't disrupt, unfortunately.

I've tried it before and I quite like a unit of eagles led by a tooled up character on eagle. I think the Lore of Life makes a lot of sense with this.

It's a fun unit to play with but I'm not sure it's a competitive choice, I'm not sure you really get great value for all those points, a bigger cavalry unit that costs the same can be much more effective in this kind of role, plus they get to disrupt
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#3 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Loriel,

It is a very interesting topic and the option in our army list not really explored yet. I used a small unit of 2 eagles but with full upgrades, i.e. armor piercing and ASF. The are more expensive but my aim was to have a fast unit to intercept enemy light troops.

What I observed with my very limited experience is that they are more difficult to operate than single eagles simply because their footprint is larger and where single bird could safely land in many spots, even 2 eagles had problems with that. But if players using terradons/rippers/warhawks can do it so should we. I guess I simply need to practice more and learn how to use them better.

Now in order to find the best use for any unit it is important to define its role, in particular in the force you want them to be included. So, what is your aim with the flock of eagles? How do you imagine they would add to your army etc.?

As to your questions:

- I think it is good idea to upgrade them. They have only 2 attacks each so it is important to make these count. It also helps them against Elves as with no armor they can be hurt easily. Decreasing the chances to be hit helps.

- choosing the right lore is probably more of a question for the army. Every lore has some good spells. But I would try to choose the one that suits your army as a whole well rather than focusing on eagles only. If they get some bonuses, then fantastic! I use the Loremaster and he can already help the eagles too.

I also think they should be considered as a unit on their own rather than being compared to any cavalry. Yes, they cost similar points (3 with upgrades are 195points) but have something other units don't. Speed and skirmish formation. That can be used to a great advantage.

What are your findings in the use of the eagles in units so far?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Loriel

#4 Post by Loriel »

Thanks for replies!
Ladril Caledor wrote:Skirmishers don't disrupt, unfortunately.
Count as having zero ranks. Agree on the matter sadly :(
Ladril Caledor wrote:I'm not sure you really get great value for all those points, a bigger cavalry unit that costs the same can be much more effective in this kind of role
True. But as swordmaster stated speed and skirmishing is their main advantages. Cavalry can be redirected much more easily.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:How do you imagine they would add to your army etc.?
well probably negatively as they would compete with frost phoenix, unless taken another from characters ;)

I had list with rough design

- archmage with steed
- steed bsb

biggish unit of reavers 15-20 (for flank / steadfast breaking) (I once started a thread about this idea and it has some merit)
couple reaver unit for redirecting / wm hunt duty.
medium sized silverhelms for character bunker and middle board advance

full rare of upgraded birds in two unitss. Probably so that the other would have 3 models and other would have more. the smaller unit would have chaff clearing duty the bigger would have flank / rear duty.

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:What are your findings in the use of the eagles in units so far?
I haven't use units of eagles yet during 8th and my trusted eagles has being pretty much replaced by Reavers =( . I used once (something like 2011 like after played games) in 7th armybook a list (that turned out to be highly illegal after reviewing the rules) where I had 1 eagle, joined by 3 great weapon (speed of asuryan <3) nobles and beast archmage, and couple big spearman blocks for steadfast breaking. It was devastating with pan's pelt and savage beast of horrors. Sadly we didn't get eagle rider unit where eagle character could join =(
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Single birds would be my preference. I think the upgrades are too expensive on such a defensively weak unit. Also, the nature of using them as redirectors and their lack of AS means that they give up points to easily. I think you would be better off splitting them into solo birds and still doing the same with them - they don't get ranks, etc anyway and having solo birds is more useful than units as you have more flexibility.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

For light combat duties eagle units can of course charge over troops, which cavalry can't. The -1 to be hit for Skirmishers looks useful. I've also toyed with the idea of a unit for blocking cannonballs. You can do this with single eagles but might be easier when the models only need to be 1/2" apart?