How many wide?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...

How many models wide cavalry?

No votes
68%
5%
other
27%

Total votes: 22

Eloras

How many wide?

#1 Post by Eloras »

Hi all,

I'm about to order movement trays for my HE army and I'm wondering how many models wide people use their heavy cavalry, both for flanking as for a bus with heroes and mages.
I noticed too wide - and it's getting harder manoeuvering around terrain pieces. So I was thinking between 4 and 6 units.

What do you normally use?

Thanks! :)
RE.Lee

Re: How many wide?

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Why would you deploy 4-wide? I've seen people go 3-wide on SH units (to put a wizard in the second rank mostly), but 4? Personally I use my units 5 wide almost exclusively.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Eloras

#3 Post by Eloras »

RE.Lee wrote:Why would you deploy 4-wide? I've seen people go 3-wide on SH units (to put a wizard in the second rank mostly), but 4? Personally I use my units 5 wide almost exclusively.
Thanks for the response! :)

Well I reckoned that if you flank 3 deep 25mm or 4 deep 20mm bases (which happens a lot), 4 bases wide cavalry offers maximized effectiveness.
And you're just a little bit more agile. I know it's a bit unusual, though ..
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

In those situations 5-wide would still be best, actually. Corner to corner still counts as being in base contact.
cheers, Lee

Eloras

#5 Post by Eloras »

RE.Lee wrote:In those situations 5-wide would still be best, actually. Corner to corner still counts as being in base contact.
You have a point there ...

.. I guess I'll order multiple versions of movement trays for my cavalry, then! :P
Loriel

#6 Post by Loriel »

I tend to use silver helm darts 3 wide for extra mobility (mainly due shorter wheels). If you go for bigger unit 5 is naturally best choice to break steadfasts.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Palinux

#7 Post by Palinux »

5 wide or 2 wide :)
RE.Lee

#8 Post by RE.Lee »

Yeah, 2 wide helm darts are cool 8) That wizard bunker wont do you any good!
cheers, Lee

theviking

#9 Post by theviking »

RE.Lee wrote:Why would you deploy 4-wide?
I've heard of a 4 wide BOTWD dragon prince bus with command and cav prince in the front, stubborn high archmage in the second rank. Other than that It's always been 3 or 5-6 wide.
Andros123

#10 Post by Andros123 »

I usually run 9 silver helms 3 wide. They are not meant for breaking steadfast, but for threatening the enemy advance. They make sure that chariots, wild riders and such just can't march forward.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: How many wide?i

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

theviking wrote:I've heard of a 4 wide BOTWD dragon prince bus with command and cav prince in the front, stubborn high archmage in the second rank. Other than that It's always been 3 or 5-6 wide.
You can also do that 3-wide and Make Way with the Prince. That way you don't have to feed the AM to the front rank if the champ dies. Unless you've omitted one of the command for some reason.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#12 Post by Curu Olannon »

4 and 3 wide have a couple of uses. It's good with a deathstar vs Skaven for example. You start 4 wide, charge Slaves, he holds on 10 steadfast, you reform 5 wide and break him in his turn, allowing for reforms before you can charge again. Shenanigans!
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Eloras

#13 Post by Eloras »

Thanks for all the imput! :P

Just wondering .. what bases do you use? 5x2 bases, or 5x3 ... or something else?
Shadeseraph

#14 Post by Shadeseraph »

I've used them from 2 wide to 6 wide. In the end, unless I'm taking some kind of cav bus (which isn't too frequently), I change their formation so much I wouldn't use a movement tray for them.

In a cav bus I'd use two 5" x 4" trays (for 5 wide, 2 deep). I mean, you usually run one or more mages in a bus, and going wider than 5 means he might not be pushed to the back rank, while going 4 or less deep means losing the ability to deny steadfast earlier, as well as losing SCR.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
SteVieBizzLe

#15 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

Cav usually comes in 2 forms, decent sized unit that is 5 wide or a 'dart' 2 wide by 3 deep to take advantage of Martial Prowess.

Mixture of both usually works best, and both have vastly differing strategy attached
Ielthan

#16 Post by Ielthan »

SteVieBizzLe wrote:Cav usually comes in 2 forms, decent sized unit that is 5 wide or a 'dart' 2 wide by 3 deep to take advantage of Martial Prowess.

Mixture of both usually works best, and both have vastly differing strategy attached
+1