What's the best army builder app?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SquidVicious405

What's the best army builder app?

#1 Post by SquidVicious405 »

New to whfb, what's a good app for army building? I tried battlescribe(free one), and the points don't match and other things are different
John Rainbow

Re: What's the best army builder app?

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

All of the army builder apps depend on the datafiles behind them. Finding a good source of quality files is important. There used to be a thread here for some of the datafiles for Battlesribe, if you can't find them I think Najo on Carpe Noctem (vampire forum) has a good set.

As for myself, I still use Army Builder 2.2 which is well supported by the community at large. Furion also said recently that it was available for free on Windows but I'm not sure if that is true...
aurynn
Location: Looking for a lost Asur expedition somewhere in the Old World

#3 Post by aurynn »

Battlescribe is perfectly OK. You might have found a bad datafile. Try the ones from appspot.

Especially with the dropbox sharing and mobile versions. And if you find a mistake in any datafile you can very easily correct it yourself.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44814&p=804131#p804131]My personal PLOG[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45715]Lost Asur Expedition - army blog[/url]
[quote]"Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."
- X-files, ep. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Faulkner[/quote]
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I actually use both BattleScribe and ArmyBuilder. I do prefer ArmyBuilder though.
SquidVicious405

#5 Post by SquidVicious405 »

Thanks for the tips. I finally used those data files and it works great now. I've been playing tabletop games for awhile, but have not used the internet for much other than research. In fact the only reason I've got an email address is for this website. Once I started reading the bsb, I became enthused about every aspect of warhammer. For example, I never cared to paint, but I can't wait to paint my army(even if it is going to look awful at first!). Anyways thanks for the support!
Casazzo

#6 Post by Casazzo »

I use battlescribe as well. I found it perfectly fitting my needs and translated one very good datafile (bigbrother) to german language and added special rules and more (magic items etc). Now i am able to create a fast skirmish list in under 2 minutes. (Takes a whole lot of thinking for a balanced list as you know)
Loriel

#7 Post by Loriel »

I use battlescribe. It is fairly easy to manipulate bad datafiles with the catalogy editor. (mainly the problem is that there is wrong point costs etc)

I had tons of problems with battlescribe when I used it on iPad, but with my samsung phone nothing worth mentioning. Only problem I have is the need of using java on computer as for the moment that is only reason why I have Java.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Gandalf_82

#8 Post by Gandalf_82 »

I use battlescribe on my android phone, does the job perfectly for me...