Alternate mission-style scenarios for Fantasy

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Anvilarm

Alternate mission-style scenarios for Fantasy

#1 Post by Anvilarm »

Hey All,

Here are my ideas for alternate mission-style scenarios for Fantasy Fantasy.

I would love feedback, especially if you try them on the tabletop.

Anvilarm

Alternate Scenarios for Warhammer Fantasy (Mission based)
These are proposed alternate scenarios for Warhammer Fantasy that are similar to mission-based scenarios from Warhammer 40k.
Each mission has a win-draw-loss victory condition. A win is worth 20 points, a draw is worth 10 and a loss is worth 5. In addition, there are victory points assigned at the end of each scenario.
The victory condition and victory points can only be achieved by a scoring unit. A scoring unit consists of a core unit of a minimum of 5 figures and must include a command group consisting of a standard and a musician. A scoring unit cannot be a flying unit.
The victory points are as follows:
Kill the enemy general - 1 point
Kill the enemy BSB - 1 point*
Kill more points of the enemy than he kills of you - 1 point
Kill the enemy's highest level mage (if the opponent is Dwarfs then his highest value Runelord or Runesmith) - 1 point*
Have more points worth of units in the enemy's half of the board than he has in your half of the board - 1 point
*If the enemy does not have this figure you automatically get this point
Missions - these are the6 missions. Roll to see which one you play. Note all missions are 6 turns long:

1. Capture the objectives - Each side has equal points. Terrain and deployment is exactly like the Warhammer Fantasy rulebook Battleline scenario. Three objectives are placed an equal distance apart along the centre line of the battlefield between the two players. (Use pennies or something similar.) Objectives must be in open terrain. The objectives can only be captured by a scoring unit. The player who captures and holds the most objectives at the end of the game wins. Once captured an objective moves with the scoring unit. If the scoring unit is defeated in close combat and flees, or is destroyed or leaves the battlefield, it drops the objective. Note, you do not lose it if the scoring unit panics and flees or voluntarily flees.

2. Control the battlefield - Each side has equal points. Terrain and set up is exactly like the Warhammer Fantasy Battleline rule book scenario. The player with the most points worth of scoring points within 12 inches of the centre of the board at the end of the game wins. If points are equal or no one has scoring unit points within 12 inches of the centre of the board, it is a draw.

3. Blood and glory - This is played exactly like the Warhammer Fantasy rulebook scenario Blood and Glory with the loser being the one who breaks first. If neither side breaks by the end of 6 turns it is a draw.

4. Alternate Capture the Objectives - Everything is the same as Capture the Objectives scenario above except deploy like Dawn Attack in Warhammer Fantasy rulebook.

5. Alternate Control the Battlefield - Everything is exactly the same as Control the Battlefield scenario above except deploy like Meeting Engagement in Warhammer Fantasy rulebook.

6. Watchtower - Each side has equal points - terrain and deploy is exactly like Watchtower from Warhammer Fantasy rulebook Watchtower scenario, including deployment in the Watchtower and who goes first. The winner controls the Watchtower at the end of 6 turns. Only scoring units may enter the Watchtower, although non-scoring units may attack - but not occupy - the Watchtower. If no one controls the Watchtower it is a draw.
John Rainbow

Re: Alternate mission-style scenarios for Fantasy

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

The Watchtower and Blood & Glory have some serious issues for tournament play. I would change these completely or remove them. Why is this? Well, the watchtower scenario invalidates armies without infantry i.e. Brets or other mounted armies and is just really poorly designed - ever tried to shift 30 Chosen out of a building like that? Blood and Glory is similarly silly as you could be getting crushed in game but win due to a lucky miscast where your opponent goes down the hole or similar.

In competitive play the watchtower is pretty much never used. I have seen variants like a 'watch-wood' used instead. Blood and Glory is often used as a secondary objective that does not auto-win the game like it does in the BRB. This prevents scenarios like the one I described or armies which auto-lose the game before it even starts.

Your other rules seem ok although I don't like auto-winning points just based on army selection ala the 'kill the mage' option. It limits what people are going to be willing to put into an army.