Warhammer Battlescrolls expanded

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Shadeseraph

Warhammer Battlescrolls expanded

#1 Post by Shadeseraph »

I've been enjoying Dataslates/formations in WH40K since they came. Sure, they are money-grabbing tactics by GW, but the base concept, the idea of a specific formation of troops working together to get a better result than the individual parts greatly pleases me. Potentially, it allows for seemingly logical armies, and can be used to push forward some of the less popular choices in the armies. I know Battlescrolls are the equivalent of dataslates, and at least the VC ones look like fun. For now, my idea is to create a bunch of useable, easily testable "fan-made dataslates", that can be used to add some spice to the armies without being unreasonable to allow after talking with some friends. Sure, you won't be able to use this on PUG games, but no house-rule can.

I'd love if anyone else wanted to propose more of these, or wants to help. However, I'd try to focus on underused units, unit combinations or unit layouts, rather than powering up units that already are good enough.

So, without more preamble, Battlescrolls for everyone!

HIGH ELVEN BATTLESCROLLS

Eataine Sea Host
Composition:
-2 units of 20+ Lothern Sea Guard
-1 Lothern Skycutter, which can be upgraded to carry an Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower
-1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
-0-1 Lothern Sea Helm. If the Lothern Skycutter hasn't been upgraded with the Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower, the Lothern Sea Helm can ride it.
Restrictions:
-None
Special Rules:
-Broadhead Arrows: Shooting attacks made by units in this formation gain the Armor Piercing special rule.
-Krakenslayers: Single bolts fired by any Bolt thrower in this formation may reroll any failed roll to hit.
-Herald of Lothern: Any unit in this formation within 6" of the Lothern Sea Helm can use his leadership for any leadership tests, as per the inspiring courage special rule.

Ellyrion Raiders
Composition:
-1 Unit of 8+ Silver Helms
-2 Units of Ellyrian Reavers
-1 Noble mounted on Elven Steed
Restrictions:
-The Silver Helms in this formation cannot take a shield
Special Rules:
-Light Cavalry: Silver Helms in this formation can take a free reform before they move. This free reform follows the same restrictions than swift reforms, but the unit may still march as usual. The Silver Helms lose this special rule if any character with an armor save of 2+ or better joins them.
-Raider Knights: Ellyrian Reavers in this formation gain the Strider special rule
-Raider Lord: As long as his armor save is 4+ or worse, the Noble in this formation gains the Fast Cavalry special rule.

Defenders of Ulthuan
Composition:
-2 units of 20+ Spearelves
-1-2 units of 20+ Archers
Restrictions:
-Units in this formation must have full command.
Special Rules:
-Phalanx: Spearelves in this formation may parry (6+) with a spear and a shield. Any other restriction still applies. Also, they count as having one rank more for the purpose of steadfast, as long as more than 20 spearelves remain in the unit.
-Defensive Fire: Units from this formation only provide light cover against archers in this formation.

Wings of Asuryan
Composition:
-2 Units of 3+ Great Eagles
-1 Flamespyre Phoenix
Restrictions:
-None
Special Rules:
-Will of Asuryan: Units in this formation are Stubborn.

Annulii Hunters
Composition:
-1 Unit of 25+ Spearelves
-1-2 Unit of 10-15 White Lions of Chrace
-1 Lion Chariot of Chrace
Restrictions:
-White Lions in this formation can not take a standard bearer.
Special Rules:
-Wood Hunters: White Lion units in this formation are Skirmishers.
-Dwellers of the Annulii Peaks: Spearelves in this formation may Ambush.
-Chaos Slayer: The Lion Chariot impact hits have the Multiple Wounds (1D3) Special Rule, and the Forest Strider Special rule.

And that's it for the moment. I will eventually expand it, and try to touch other races as well. Any opinions on this? Suggestions on balance? And on other thematic dataslates? I think this is also a good way to create specific units against certain factions without feeling cheated out of some SR because it is way too specific.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Oranion

Re: Warhammer Battlescrolls expanded

#2 Post by Oranion »

I think this is a great idea! It works wonders to get some of our more underused units back into the game, and could also be used to give some regional fluff back into lists, which is awesome in my book. The only two units I think that also need battlescrolls are Shadow Warriors (to gain +1 attack?) and Tiranoc Chariots (Maybe a unit with one as a character mount able to re-roll charge dice?).

In my opinion, Empire desperately need this as their only viable core options are hordes of halberdiers or knight busses. They have a lot of units that never see table time anymore because they got so expensive :(

What other armies are you going to work on making battlescrolls for?