War of vengeance

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Hero of Rome

War of vengeance

#1 Post by Hero of Rome »

Hey Elgi as a dwarf player I thought you would like my war of vengeance http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/441 ... /?p=484620
draxynnic

Re: War of vengeance

#2 Post by draxynnic »

As was mentioned in the thread you linked to, there were official rules for this in WD back in 6E. Unfortunately, my copies are currently in storage, but the main things I remember from it are:

As you point out, no gunpowder. Not much in the way of dwarf inventions at all, in fact. The payoff was much more powerful rune availability - I don't recall any cases of runes being distributed across whole units like you suggested, but it was certainly possible to get a lot more rune magic on the field. (I think the rule about only one master rune per army was even loosened..). It was generally less of an artillery army and more of a 'we're going to attack somewhere where you have no choice but to hold, grit our teeth and survive all your missile fire, and grind you into the dirt in melee' army. (It's no coincidence that most of the major battles were at High Elf cities - the Asur had the mobility and range advantage and when Caledor the Idiot wasn't letting his pride take hold of him could win in the field through hit-and-run tactics, but when they had to stand their ground - they were still better fighters than the Dawi expected, but that kind of fighting allowed the dwarf to maximise their strengths and minimise those of the elves.)

High Elves actually lost Dragon Princes as we know them now entirely, as well as Swordmasters. The replacements were dragon princes riding drakes - which, from memory, had statlines very similar to Sun Dragons now - fielded in units of 1-3 in Rare. If it was done now, you'd probably use something like the Monstrous Cavalry rules for them. There were also rules for dragon wizards, albeit restricted to fire magic.
Count

#3 Post by Count »

Nor can they take shadow warriors as they would much rather right dark elves.
Shadow warriors was too busy with drucci invasion. But they can be represented as generic scouts.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Those WD rules were also reprinted in one of the "Chronicles" I believe it was 2003. That can be found on e-bay and similar sites for a pretty reasonable cost quite often.