Time of Legends

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

Time of Legends

#1 Post by Domine Nox »

Okay, so I am one of those players that loves the lore and doing large scale battle (in 40k Apocalypse is great) so I started to think on fun and interesting ways to do something big and lore worthy for Warhammer Fantasy, and the first thing that came to mind was doing stuff from the Time of Legends, and being a High Elf fan Aenarion and the first Chaos invasion struck me as truly epic. To that end I have come up with my own way of attempting to recreate the battle to create the Vortex.

Time of Legends: As this is the time when magic shaped worlds and history was made the Spells, Items and Bound Monsters from Storm of Magic are available. In addition all mages know their cataclysm spells without an Arcane Fulcrum.

Turns: The scenario will last 6 turns. At the end of the six turns if the Vortex is still 'alive' the High Elf player wins. If not the Daemon Player wins. Every 2 turns the Vortex will drain magical power out of the world, to represent this on turns 1 and 2 roll 4 D6 for Winds of Magic (Daemon Player uses the 2 highest dice to determine his Storm of Chaos result), and all spells on both sides are treated as having Dominance. On turns 3 and 4 roll 3D6 for Winds of Magic (Daemon Player uses the 2 highest dice to determine his Storm of Chaos result), and all spells on both sides are treated as having Equilibrium. On turns 5 and 6 roll only 2D6 for Winds of Magic (Storm of Chaos as normal), and all spells on both sides are treated as having Presence.

The Vortex: The vortex will be made up of 4 mages and Caledor, they count as a single unit that is the span of the suitible piece of terrain. It has a WS of 1, and a combined total of 16 Wounds (3 per mage, and 4 for Caledor). As the roiling surge of magic is swirling around them and out of the world through their spell models in the Vortex have a 3+ Ward save, and are immune to all magic as well as multiple wounds or killing blow. This includes friendly spells. Any vortex spell that hits the Vortex is immediately dispelled. If daemon units are in combat with the Vortex they automatically lose combat by an amount equal to the number of mages still alive inside the vortex (Eg if 2 mages and Caledor still live, they take their instability test at -3). This combat loss will have no effect on Frenzy. This represents the magic draining away as they try to slay the mages at work. The mages may never fight back.

Daemon Horde: The Daemon player gets 25% more points for his force than the High Elf player (This is desperation afterall). So if the High Elf player fields 4000pts, then the Daemon player gets 5000pts. This game is ideally suited for 3000pts or more.

Aenarion: Aenarion the first Phoenix king must be included in your army as High Elves, and must be your general. He does not cost towards your army total.

Aenarion Stats
M 5
WS 10
BS 10
S 5
T 5
W 4
I 9
A 5
Ld 10

Special Rules: Unbreakable, Frenzy, Terror, Always Strikes First
Equipment: Dragon Armor of Aenarion (See Tyrion), Sword of Khaine (Treat as a Dawnblade from Storm of Magic that is always at Dominance power).

Indraugnir: Emperor Fire Dragon (See Storm of Magic)
Special Rules: Loyal (Indraugnir does not need to roll if Aenarion is slain, he operates as normal but gains Frenzy)

Banner of Aenarion: This replaces Banner of the World Dragon in the army list. Rules as BotWD, except Once per game may extend the 2++ vs magical attacks to all friendly units within 12". This lasts until your next movement phase, in addition any daemonic unit within 12" must make an instability test on 3D6.

High Elf Army List
Lords: High Elves may not take any named characters (they weren't born yet). No Loremasters may be taken.
Heroes: Handmaidens may not be taken.
Core: As the army book, though any core unit may purchase a magic banner at the appropriate cost.
Special: Tiranoc Chariots and Dragon Princes* (see below) are the only units that may be purchased.
Rare: Only Bolt Throwers and Eagles may be purchased
Mages: Mages may not select from the Lores of Shadow or Death (dabbling in such dark arts in this time is surely dangerous)
Last Stand: All High Elf units are Stubborn.

Daemons Army List
No named characters, otherwise as in the book. In addition the Daemon Army may take 1 of each Exalted Greater Daemon at no cost, but may have no other greater daemons in its force.

Dragon Princes 100pts per model
Monstrous Cavalry

Stat DP Dragon
M 5 6
WS 5 5
BS 4 0
S 3 5
T 5 -
W 3 -
I 6 4
A 2 3
Ld 9 7
Sv 1+

Special Rules: Fireborn, Always Strikes First, Breath Weapon, Terror, Stomp, Martial Prowess, Fly
Equipment: Lance, Dragon Armor, Shield, Handweapon

Deployment: The Vortex and the High Elves deploy in the center of the table. The Daemon Player may deploy on all board edges and must be at least 18" from High Elf units. Determine who goes first as normal.

So, that's my idea plus my rules for Dragon Princes of old and Aenarion and such. Comments and Critiques?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Loriel

Re: Time of Legends

#2 Post by Loriel »

=D>

I really like it!

Here are some points I would seem fit to consider

I would have vortex fight have some similar mechanics as garrisoned building such as assault party, but I would also allow multiple charges to be made and after combat demon units would fall from the base contact (perhaps suffer some ill effect of the vortex such as you suggested demonic instability with that -3 works pretty well imo or just plain magical hits) If they don't drop from CC elven player will easily suffer defeat every time when overwhelming forces gets to strike vortex and even basic demon core simply wreaks havoc there. Or another mechanic to drop host of demons from the vortex would be that if they get charged they pushed of from the vortex. Or there could be a rule that you can shoot / breath weapon demons that base contact vortex. that 3++ actually works very well and assault party isn't actually needed to restrain attacks to vortex. perhaps there could be this weakening ward save. say it start from 1++ (natural 1 still fails) and it weakens every turn.

Another thing I would add to mixture is recycling core to demons. Or perhaps some "minor" demon swarm/minion type unit that just roams around with puny statline. These minor demon swarms could have "automated" rules that they have to roam directly forward and charge the closest enemy always, thus making them mindless untactical unredirect unit. Perhaps another way would be to have these massive blocks of mixed models of these puny minor demons and then say khorne demons... well that prolly isn't too good idea but i would like it in fluffy sense much. And it would have excellent effect on combat resolution since IMO high elven player should have edge to win the combats but doing so lose valuable bodies and the desperation comes from depleted elven counts. That stubborn works well in order to erase devastating result from break test. What would be more epic than desperate militia doing demonic unstability test on minor demons and see them melt away. Another way to have this "minor" swarmy demon effect would have this increasing terrain that is dangerous terrain for elves. say that in the first turn those small swarms surrounds only the edge and in last turns it would be almost every part in the battlefield

Scenarion could have little random element such as watchtower scenario for the end. say start from the turn 4 rolling. That would be the best way to add that extra excitement to the "last stand scenarion". There could be some "reward" if Aenarion kills a greater demon helf player may reroll ending dice and this would represent the morale boost of the mage who sees a mighty large demon fall from heavens. Or if Aenarion or some other significant character falls it would be otherway around

Terrain is described in Armybook page 9 as being a large waystone complex. There could be some minor mechanic that there would be some smaller waystones that could be destroyed by demon player and then defended by helf. And they would have some game effect. Perhaps the ward save of the vortex is weakened if waystones are destroyed or something like this. Perhaps this would make game little too complex, but just throwing ideas.

Actually one terrain idea would be to have many waystones that gives different kind of effects such as +1 hit +1 wound +1 ld +1... ItP, etc (only for Helf player). Replace all the "regular" terrain pieces with waystones. And demon player could destroy those stone perhaps with charging to it and auto hitting say T10 W6 model??

There should also be also some mechanic where Aenarion fights four greater demons (those demons would be freebies or something like this). Perhaps demon player could get those deamons as reinforcement as the game goes say first would be turn 2, then turn 3 etc ;) And they could have this "death frenzy" to charge Aenarion only or something like this. Or these battle could be made so that Aenarion / greater demons ain't models per se, but rather randomised events. Say they fight in the skies and they effect the morale of elven below. Or they could be like these "high fly" rule similar to old editions and being in base contact of the each other as in CC. And should Aenarion fall they would come down and should Aenarion win he would come down to aid against minor demons.

High Elves shouldn't have martial prowess since it was generally considered that elves more citizen militia than well trained troops before Morvael. So perhaps the basic core would be Elven militia with light armor, shield, hand weapon for say 6 point and 8 with bow?

To add even more fluff would be to make random chain lights struck and then bouncing around from the vortex to random direction and say 4d6 inches. or something like this.

I really love dragon prince riders. I would also add some "cheapish" hero level dragon prince to mixture. Perhaps replace griffons as cheaper dragon.

Perhaps add dragons as rare choice and give some abilities of the flame phoenix say Wake of fire that would be excellent to cut of hordes, or allow breath weapon to be used every turn (oh the fluffy chills of the burning demon flesh). Actually some sort of attuned to magic ruling for dragon would be nice. Say like in the first 2 turns when vortex is fully open they get 3++ ward then 5++ ward and then none (as it is now, and it would be very fluffy reason why they are nearly extincted nowadays). or something like this. or make that wake of fire much more potential in the first turns of game and then slowly decline it as the vortex closes. Dragon princes could have minor wake of fire.

Great eagle riders, say regular elf on GE for 60 points in units of 3. Perhaps allow some type of hit and run rule like warhawk rider. Say they could be used to pin hordes around.

And since this is very fluffy fight I would almost suggest that there were premade army lists, or perhaps like 50 % points would be forced or something like this. Much easier to "balance" ruling, but then again why to balance game for this epic battle. It has to be overwhelming hard for High Elves.
Last edited by Loriel on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Loriel

Re: Time of Legends

#3 Post by Loriel »

And surely deny annointed being a lord choice.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame