Reworking magic items

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Shadeseraph

Reworking magic items

#1 Post by Shadeseraph »

Just for fun, I'd like to see what everyone would think a good magic item list for high elves is, as almost everyone here agrees it is the weakest part of the book. So, a selection of 12 magic items, in line with the power level of 8th edition books/BRB options, more or less balanced and viable. No problem in keeping those you feel are fine currently or taking old ones back. They should be more or less useful by themselves, and reasonably thematic.

My own list:

Magic Weapons:
-White Sword - 60 pts: Uses two hands, +2 Strength, 1D3 Wounds
-Bow of Avelorn - Current one.
Magic Armor:
-Armor of Caledor - 45 pts: 1+ AS. The character and his unit gain the fireborn special rule
-Shadow Crown - 25 pts: +1 AS, any BS based shooting against the character or his unit has a -1 penalty, the character gains the Skirmisher special rule
Talismans:
-Heart of the White Lion - 35pts: +1T, MR2
-Golden Crown of Atrazzar - 50 pts: the character and his unit gain a 4+ ward save against war machine shooting.
Magic Banners:
-Banner of the World Dragon - 75 pts: MR5. The unit and any unit within 12" can reroll failed LD rolls. A BSB equiped with this banner has the range of his own ability increased by 6".
-Banner of the Wild - 15 pts: The unit has the Stride special rule. Ellyrian Reavers and units of Tyranoc Chariots can take this banner, even if they aren't usually allowed to. Any unit of Tyranoc Chariots carrying this banner doesn't count as having a banner for anything else than the effect of this item.
Arcane Items:
-Book of Hoeth - Current one.
-Battlecaster cloak - 45 pts: MR1, the user can cast magic missiles and direct damage spells against a unit he or his unit is in combat with. Loremasters and Dragon mages gain +2 to armor saves and +1 to casting and dispelling, Archmages and mages gain AS3+.
Enchanted Items:
-Ring of Khaine's Fury - Current one.
-Wanderer's Shard: 40 pts. Character and his unit gain the Swiftstride, Quick to fire and Ambushers special rules.

I avoided obvious rules like +1D3 power dice and the like, because the game is moving away from that, and I agree with the sentiment they shouldn't be prevalent. Instead, I am more interested in unit wide rules and interesting interactions. I quite like the idea of the Battlecaster cloak as an arcane item: I believe it is a very good item which makes high magic and loremasters quite a lot more viable, but it competes with the book and dispel scrolls, so it isn't an auto-pick.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
dundulin

Re: Reworking magic items

#2 Post by dundulin »

I like magic enhancing items(it is high eleves)
Old ban of sorcery
Or
Banner of the winds, 're roll one winds of magic die each turn 50pts
Book of knowledge, model gains loremaster rule 35pts
jamierk

#3 Post by jamierk »

That's what I really don't like about the new book. Book of hoeth aside, I don't think any of the magic items from the 7th ed book in the context of 8th ed were broken and/or under costed by a considerable margin. But they did add a whole bunch of flexibility to character and therefore competitive list building. Our current list narrows our choice so much it's painful (try building a foot BSB etc).

Ah the good old days :-)
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#4 Post by Domine Nox »

Shadeseraph wrote:-Bow of Avelorn - Current one.
You mean Reaver Bow? I'd add in a Bow of Avelorn and make it Strength as User, allows you to shoot a number of times as wielder has attacks. So while the Reaver bow would be better right off, this one would have a lot of potential synergy with magic.

Just like I liked the items on Balannaer back in 4th edition.

Cloak of Stars: All shooting and hand to hand attacks against the wearer are resolved at -2S (to a minimum of 1). In addition once per game, the cloak will auto dispel the first spell in battle targeted at the wearer or the unit he is with. If cast with irresistible force it will not dispel it, but will dispel the next. [45pts] Talisman.

Blade of Bel-Korharis: Only Magical Armor Saves or Ward saves may be taken against wounds caused with this sword. In addition, once per battle, in the beginning of the close combat phase the wielder can unleash the flames of the captured star. He will fight with D6 extra attacks. [60pts] Magic Weapon.

Book of the Phoenix: At the start of the battle the wielder may read one verse of the book, the effect lasts for the rest of the battle unless destroyed (eg. Arcane Unforging).
-Verse of Rebirth: If the wielder is slain, he immediately bursts into flames, doing 1 S6 hit on each model in base contact, and then return to life with D3 wounds. He may be positioned in any High Elf unit on the field. This even applies if wiped out during a pursuit from broken combat. This only works the first time he is slain.
-Verse of Flame Eternal: This verse allows the wielder to cast 1 of his spells without using any power dice, once per magic phase. It does not have to be the same spell every magic phase, and it is cast at its minimum casting value.
-Verse of Destruction: The verse doubles the wielders Strength value. [80pts] Arcane Item.

Staff of Cyeos: Any spell cast by the wielder of the staff gets an additional +1 to cast. [40pts] Arcane Item.

Or from old Imrik

Dragonhorn: Once per battle, the horn can be sounded at the start of the close combat phase. The bearer's dragon gains D6 attacks that round of combat. [15pts] Enchanted Item.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]