Drake Riders of Caledor - MC option? Possible rules

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Imrik Gwindorian

Drake Riders of Caledor - MC option? Possible rules

#1 Post by Imrik Gwindorian »

While trawling through the rumour threads before the release of 8th Ed. High Elves, the idea of drake cavalry kept cropping up. A lot of people, it seemed, wanted it to happen. Others didn't want it. I, however, thought about it and decided to come up with my own rules and an idea for the models.

Having seen the multiple conversions with Carmine Dragons for lords on Star Dragons, my old lord on our dragon looks rather..... un-inspiring. So, I'm going to get a Carmine Dragon, pop my prince on that after a bit of conversion, and use my dragon for something else. I thought about the Dragon Mage, but that would mean repainting it and I've done that 3 times already :lol: and I think a DE dragon would look better for him.

So in the end, I came up with this idea, Drake Riders of Caledor. I little conversion work, and our dragon (minus the wings) could look pretty cool as a land-based monstrous cavalry option in Rare. So I set about making some rules for it before I have a go at the model. Any feedback would be most welcome guys.

So here are the rules
Drake Riders of Caledor.......................................................................150 points per model
Profile........................................M...WS...BS...S...T...W....I...A...Ld.......Troop Type
Prince of Caledor............................5.....6.....4....3...3....1....6...3....9........Infantry
Drakelord.....................................5.....6.....4....3...3....1....6...4....9........Infantry
Drake.........................................8.....4.....0....4...4....4....5...4....7........Monstrous Cavalry

Unit size: 2+

Equipment:
• Hand weapon
• Lance
• Dragon Armour
• Shield

Special Rules:
- Always Strikes First (Riders only)
- Martial Prowess
- Valour of Ages
- Fear
- Devastating Charge

Options:
– May upgrade one Prince of Caledor to a Drakelord ...............................10 points
- a Drakelord may take magic weapons and/or armour worth up to..........50 points
– May upgrade one Prince of Caledor to a musician ................................10 points.
– May upgrade any Prince of Caledor to a standard bearer ..................... 10 points.
- a standard bearer may take a magic standard worth up to .................75 points.
henrypmiller

Re: Drake Riders of Caledor - MC option? Possible rules

#2 Post by henrypmiller »

Drake Riders of Caledor.......................................................................150 points per model
Profile........................................M...WS...BS...S...T...W....I...A...Ld.......Troop Type
Prince of Caledor............................5.....6.....4....3...3....1....6...3....9........Infantry
Drakelord.....................................5.....6.....4....3...3....1....6...4....9........Infantry
Drake.........................................8.....4.....0....4...4....4....5...4....7........Monstrous Cavalry
I made a few tweaks.

Drake Riders of Caledor.......................................................................200 points per model
Prince of Caledor............................5.....5.....4....3...3....1....6...2....9........Infantry
Drakelord.....................................5.....5.....4....3...3....1....6...3....9........Infantry
Drake.........................................6.....5.....0....5...5....4....4...4....7........Monstrous Cavalry

unit size 1+

Drakes: Scaly skin save 4+ or add +2/3 to the riders AS.
Drake fire. S4 shooting attack on Riders BS. 8" range. Counts as a thrown weapon.
Devastating charge [Riders only]
Fly. - the M8 could work as well.
Everything else looks good.