Dragon Princes and Silver Helms: A lore based fix?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Sturen

Dragon Princes and Silver Helms: A lore based fix?

#1 Post by Sturen »

I was Reading some of the fluff behind SHs and DPs and I found some interesting stuff. I thought the units could do with more character, so I tried to mix this lore into the units and make them more than stronger and weaker versions of each other. The statlines stay the same just equipment/rules are changed. Follow the stars for lore justification.

Dragon Princes
The lore focussed on their arrogance and noble past, riding dragons.
Cost: Same as
Eqipment: Same as
Special Rules:

Arrogance: The Dragon Princes are the most arrogant of elven troops and will not even lower their standard to the Phoenix King himself.
You may only have one unit of Dragon Princes per 1500 points of army, for example in a 2000 point game one unit and in a 3000 point 2. They may also never be taken in units of more than 10.*
Ancient Heritage: Dragon Princes come from a long line of famous warriors and many elves remember the days when they rode upon dragons to war.
A unit of Dragon Princes may carry the Dragonhorn for only 10 points, though they may only sound it on a turn they charge.**

Silver Helms
The lore focussed on their desperation to earn recognition within their unit.
Equipment: Shields basic, barding optional for cost of shields now.
Special Rules:
Reckless:
Silver Helms are brave noble, hoping to earn glory and some day command an army of their own.
Silver Helms are subject to the frenzy special rule, however, they may attempt to control themselves by taking a leadership test at plus 1 leadership for every 3 points per model the enemy is costs below them, if their is a character then they have minus 1 leadership for this test. If they fail they must charge. Their champion must always challenge if possible, and gains +1 attack for the duration of the challenge.***

* There may only be this few DPs because they only come from Caledor and I would think that if you used to ride a dragon and then someone said to you, "sorry mate, only horses now" you'd be pretty anoyed and even go do something else!
**The dragonhorn is underused and I think that seeing a unit of noble warriors continue an ancient tradition would make you happy, but only on the charge so it's not too powerful.
***Silver Helms are keen to prove themselves and they increase and reduce their leadership because their more intrested in a big tough enemy. They have to challenge to prove themselves and +1 attacks because they are so excited about the opportunity.

I think these changes may improve the balance of the units. Silver Helms will be faster, and be able to cause a fair bit of damage with a challenge. Dragon Princes have had their numbers reduced and they can now also get a cheap Dragonhorn, which is mostly just cool!

C&C appreciated :)
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Citizen Militia

Re: Dragon Princes and Silver Helms: A lore based fix?

#2 Post by Citizen Militia »

nice Ideas but youre overcomplicating things, Dragon princes need something that does demonstrate arrogance as you have said but as a unit they could probably do with being toned down whereas SHs I like the reckless Idea but they need beefing up a bit not weakening...

Something similar to the Impetuous rule for brettonian errant knights would be fluffy

As for DPs how about they take a leadership test (after charges have been declared) to avoid charging fear/terror causing enemies (who they are arrogant enough to think they can take on) and if they fail the leadership test they MUST charge... If they charge like this because they are forced to do so then they are immune to Fear and terror for the purposes of charging

This would be great since it would force people to think about taking Gem of courage just to avoid any slip ups... and would force people to consider things like the lion standard and such like...

I think that maybe the frenzy special rule as it stands might suffice for the SHs but I generally just think frenzied elves are a bit out of character... or failing that how about... giving them a +1 AS bonus for their helm itself (ie like the helm of fortune minus the rerolls) and then give them something which makes them take a strength test for each model in the unit, any model that passes gets +1 attack; any model which fails needs 6s to hit

That way your 5 humble SHs have the potential to be as good on the charge as your DPs yet they also could fail... with elven strength what it is it makes it a fair 50:50
since returning to the game after a 5 year break I have had 1 massacre loss, 3 minor losses, 2 draws, 3 minor wins, 3 solid wins, 2 massacres :)
tiekwando2

#3 Post by tiekwando2 »

I dont think DPs really need to be toned down, they are really good for their price, but nothing crazy. Oh and please no limiting choices in the army list, if you want 2000 point list with 2-3 DPs take them. It can be fluffy and it is not really overpowering. Yes the stardragon with lots of DPs can be very competitive, but it is not an end all win list.

Also I dont like the idea of uncontrollable high elves, that just does not seem their motto at all. They are the controlled battle line elves, and I feel like making a unit have frenzy or have to charge for any reason negates a large part of their fluff and intention.

At the same time i like the other ideas on SH, except maybe make it +1 s so they are different than DPs instead of just becoming mini-DPs, but plus 1 attack works well and probably is easier.
Sturen

#4 Post by Sturen »

lol, I just read the whole SH thing I'd written and thought aghh, that'd be so annoying to play with! So yeah, I like the idea of armour save from the helm but then a 1+ save with the barding, that's quite strong! Really, what I wanted was a hardhitting unit who could be too arrogant, but inspiring and a character hunting unit that hits harder than ERs and is desperate to kill stuff. So, here we go SHs and DPs: Take 2

Silver Helms
Cost: as is
Equipment: Heavy armour, elven steed, shield, lance, Silver Helm (increases armour save by +1)
Upgrades:
Command: as is
Barding for cost of shields now
Special Rules:
Proving Ground
Silver Helms are impetueos young nobles, desparate to prove themselves in battle. Because of this they will recklessly attack the most ferocious enemies.
If any fear or terror causing enemy is within charge range, the Silver Helms must pass a leadership test, or charge the enemy. If possible the Silver Helms champion must challenge and gain +1 attack (in addition to any possible gains from the ability Reckless assult) for the duration of the challenge.
Reckless Assult
Silver Helms throw themselves at the enemy, if they show cowardice they will never lead an army of their own.
Take a strength test for each Silver Helm fighiting in the combat, if passed the model gains 1 attack for that turn. If failed, the model has it's armour save reduced by 1.
Victorious Joy
When Silver Helms kill an enemy of great power they feel assured of they're place in Ulthuans nobility.
When a Silver Helm champion kills a character (not champion) in a challenge, it gains +1 strength for the remainder of that combat.

Dragon Princes
Cost: as is
Equipment: as is
Upgrades:
May take the Dragonhorn item on the champion for only 10 points.
Special Rules:
Arrogant
Dragon Princes are the most arrogant of Ulthuans army, they do not lower their standard to anyone, even the Phoenix King himself. Such is their arrogance that they beloved themselves capable of defeating any foe.
The Dragon Princes enemies can never gain CR from kills dealt to a unit of Dragon Princes.

What is the Impeteous rule that Bretts have?

WarpPhoenix

#5 Post by WarpPhoenix »

You cant realyl do that with the SHs on the Reckless rule, the gaining and attack per passed is fine but how are you going to work the armour save? Are you going to roll each model in the front rank on a seperate die? That'd be awefully annoying. I dont think a bunch of tests is going to do anyone any good, statistic tests are usually on the extreme of things, leadership being common only because of fear, which as we all know is just a bunch of crap when you play whole armies with fear.

The +1 armour save wouldnt make them worth it either, the problem is that when you have THREE cavalry units in a single choice selection you're only gonig to take 2 out of those 3, because there are only 2 kinds of cavaly. Heavy and Light, and DPs just do heavy cavalry better in all aspects better than helms, helms just dont have a place, I probably wouldnt take them even if they were core!

The fluff behind Silver Helms cant really be made into rules, they're just trying to prove themselves to the best of their ability, any special rule will either be cheese or just not be good, like Frenzy, Silver Helms have a pretty good charge range, there probably wont be 2 games where they dont end up in a wood. I also dont think they're THAT reckless, they're still elves and they realise what they can do and what they cant, they're just not as easily scared as most, which is why I think they should also be LD 9 basic too. The basic strength of our puny elves is 3, I dont think you want a strength test deciding weither or not the unit was worth its points, initiative maybe.

I would change the Victorious Joy thing to something like "If the UNIT and/or champion has killed a character, all wounds done to the character are double for the purposes of combat resolution." I think this would give a good reason for gunning for characters and helping to run down units, which they really need with their 1 attack or on a 50/50 2 attacks. It also means that IF your champ does go for a challenge, manages to kill say an elf hero, doing 2 wounds, 1 overkill, that would be doubled to 6 for combat res because of the above rule and be a lot more worth it to even take a champ.

Sorry if it feels like im jsut tearing your ideas apart i just really hate characteristics tests because with elves they're usually a 50/50 thing unless its on initiative or LD.

I dont get the Dragonhorn thing, its Imriks Horn, it was giften to him, they put it in the selection because they broke up Imrisk gear and gave it out to others, I get why you thoguht of dragon princs when you saw it but to me its just... nothing to do with them, its more of a leader symbol than an arrogant snob unit they wont acknowledge other units.

Dragon Princes dont need to be changed at all really, their skill is shown with all their high characteristics (WS5, I6, LD9, A2) and nobility is shown by all of them having access to dragon armour, which you may think is everywhere but is in fact scarce.

The Impeteous rule is after all charges are declared you measure for these guys, if they're in range you take a leadership test, if you fail it your knights run off into the distance towards they unit. It also means that on any turn that they charge (by any means, not jsut failing this test) they unit is immune to psych for that turn. This rule is seen as a huge downside usually because you can bait knight errant with an eagle then smash them in the sides, you take away they lance formation and they melt away, the only thing that makes it worth it is the banner that they get that gives them +1 str on the charge but gives liek a =2 to the Impetous test.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Sturen

#6 Post by Sturen »

WarpPhoenix wrote:You cant realyl do that with the SHs on the Reckless rule, the gaining and attack per passed is fine but how are you going to work the armour save? Are you going to roll each model in the front rank on a seperate die? That'd be awefully annoying.
Ahh yes the armour save is not so good, maybe -1 WS, though that could be the same... Hmm... The problem is everything that makes a difference is rolled on... That's a tough one EDIT: I have a good idea... 1+ to enemy combat res if two fail(rounding down). That'd mean that you potentially gain 5 attacks or lose 2 combat res or a mix, shows the SHs realising their not as strong as they thought!
I dont think a bunch of tests is going to do anyone any good, statistic tests are usually on the extreme of things, leadership being common only because of fear, which as we all know is just a bunch of crap when you play whole armies with fear.
I disagree, tests and the unlikley odds of those double 1s or hundreds of sixes makes the game exciting. Really all of combat and shooting and magic is a big test on charecteristics. I can understand you don't like them much and yes they're rare but it makes some sense, I think.
The +1 armour save wouldnt make them worth it either, the problem is that when you have THREE cavalry units in a single choice selection you're only gonig to take 2 out of those 3, because there are only 2 kinds of cavaly. Heavy and Light, and DPs just do heavy cavalry better in all aspects better than helms, helms just dont have a place, I probably wouldnt take them even if they were core!
That was my goal, to give them character, I wanted SHs to hunt down tough character but be overenthuisyastic and DPs to be really strong hitters and inspiring but too arrogant.

The fluff behind Silver Helms cant really be made into rules, they're just trying to prove themselves to the best of their ability, any special rule will either be cheese or just not be good, like Frenzy, Silver Helms have a pretty good charge range, there probably wont be 2 games where they dont end up in a wood. I also dont think they're THAT reckless, they're still elves and they realise what they can do and what they cant, they're just not as easily scared as most, which is why I think they should also be LD 9 basic too. The basic strength of our puny elves is 3, I dont think you want a strength test deciding weither or not the unit was worth its points, initiative maybe.
I think wanting to charge and always challenging makes them want to prove themselves but not too cheese and the possible +1 attacks just makes them worth taking. As for landing in a wood, they won't charge into a wood as they can't see through it, that was what I meant by "charge range" see the enemy and be in range. Ld 9 is a nice idea, gives them another difference from DPs. SHs are I 5, I really wanted 50/50 chance so that's too much I'd say, WS test? :D
I would change the Victorious Joy thing to something like "If the UNIT and/or champion has killed a character, all wounds done to the character are double for the purposes of combat resolution." I think this would give a good reason for gunning for characters and helping to run down units, which they really need with their 1 attack or on a 50/50 2 attacks. It also means that IF your champ does go for a challenge, manages to kill say an elf hero, doing 2 wounds, 1 overkill, that would be doubled to 6 for combat res because of the above rule and be a lot more worth it to even take a champ.
I love that, it's perfect!

Sorry if it feels like im jsut tearing your ideas apart i just really hate characteristics tests because with elves they're usually a 50/50 thing unless its on initiative or LD.
They are meant to be 50/50, that's to make them not quite a DP but potentially able to cause as much carnage!
I dont get the Dragonhorn thing, its Imriks Horn, it was giften to him, they put it in the selection because they broke up Imrisk gear and gave it out to others, I get why you thoguht of dragon princs when you saw it but to me its just... nothing to do with them, its more of a leader symbol than an arrogant snob unit they wont acknowledge other units.
The plan was to make them inspiring, not really to blow the horn, just it's affect, I just didn't want two reroll turns, it would be too much cheese
Dragon Princes dont need to be changed at all really, their skill is shown with all their high characteristics (WS5, I6, LD9, A2) and nobility is shown by all of them having access to dragon armour, which you may think is everywhere but is in fact scarce.
A2 is them charging fast, a bit of fluff says that they can "slay 2 warriors with one thrust of the lance" that's more a fast charge and strong stab than skill as such. I belive they are fine now but fixing what's not broken is often called improvments (my motto) :)
The Impeteous rule is after all charges are declared you measure for these guys, if they're in range you take a leadership test, if you fail it your knights run off into the distance towards they unit. It also means that on any turn that they charge (by any means, not jsut failing this test) they unit is immune to psych for that turn. This rule is seen as a huge downside usually because you can bait knight errant with an eagle then smash them in the sides, you take away they lance formation and they melt away, the only thing that makes it worth it is the banner that they get that gives them +1 str on the charge but gives liek a =2 to the Impetous test.
I quite like that rule but I prefer if they don't have to charge stuff, or atleast have a good chance of holdig back, whilst never loosing combat res from recieved kills means they can more easily defeat any foe, I think this would be nice on the SHs though.
Overall, I understand where you're coming from and agree with most of this, I sense Take 3 coming soon!