Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am 

SpellArcher wrote:
Firstly Dwellers. The reason this wasn't cast for the whole game was that Liam wasn't willing to without having Throne of Vines up for Miscast protection and I kept dispelling that.

This is it. A big spell that he didn't need to 6-dice. A must to dispel, it would have affected the rest of your phase. The rest of the lore is not that big of a deal, as it protects and heals what is already a decently survivable army. It lacks projection of power and this was a big thing here. He just couldn't push that advantage.

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm 
Green Istari

RE.Lee wrote:
This is it. A big spell that he didn't need to 6-dice.

Certainly, once the Slann gets within 12" he can 5-dice it reliably as he only needs to roll a 14. Outside that he can try it but it's much closer to a 50-50 thing. Granted he can cast it through a Skink Priest, I always forget this!

RE.Lee wrote:
It lacks projection of power

Exactly. The siggy Slann has a varied repertoire he can hurt you with at range. Dwellers is a very blunt instrument.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 pm 
Green Istari

Conclusion

So Rob, my second round opponent won the tournament, beating Lynsey's Skaven on Table 1. She finished second. An interesting Daemon army with plenty of Slaanesh just squeezed me out of third by a few points. It's player was on Table 3 last round but won bigger than I did, so I ended up fourth. This is the second time I've played at Worcester and the events have a nice atmosphere. I'm getting more used to the unusual scoring system. Their next event is in October, so I hope to report back from that!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 am 

Fourth isn't bad (says he, who never attended a tournament in his life :lol: )! Out of how many was that?

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:49 pm 
Pendragon

RE.Lee wrote:
Fourth isn't bad (says he, who never attended a tournament in his life :lol: )! Out of how many was that?

Three *DUN DUN DUNN!*

Seriously though, good job :)

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Luna Guardian wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:

Three *DUN DUN DUNN!*

:lol:

Congrats on 4th place indeed. Especially after facing the chaos dwarves round 2 and losing the archmage T1 spell 1 in game 3 it's a good finish.

The Lizardmen player failed to capitalise on your loss of the archmage. He either should have held back and played very conservatively. After all, you were down 300pts turn 1 and he had some serious magical superiority or he should have gone all in in a more aggressive way. Which also means powering some more spells through. Now, he sort of walked right into your army and let you chop up enough pieces for a nice win.

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 pm 
Green Istari

RE.Lee wrote:
Out of how many was that?

Luna Guardian wrote:
Three *DUN DUN DUNN!*

Prince of Spires wrote:
:lol:

Close! Ten actually, we had a couple of dropouts. Thanks guys, at least there were no trophies to miss out on this time!

Prince of Spires wrote:
The Lizardmen player failed to capitalise on your loss of the archmage. He either should have held back and played very conservatively. After all, you were down 300pts turn 1 and he had some serious magical superiority or he should have gone all in in a more aggressive way. Which also means powering some more spells through. Now, he sort of walked right into your army and let you chop up enough pieces for a nice win.

I agree Rod. I've fought this kind of game before and knew I had a good chance if not too many dice rolls went wrong. Liam I suspect was not used to this kind of elf play. I've won games before where an opponent has a solid list, deploys sensibly by the book but doesn't adjust enough to what's coming from across the table.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Perhaps there is also a bit of psychology at work here. Your opponent (perhaps unconsciously) felt like he was ahead by a long way right from the start of the game and so perhaps didn't give his best. Slightly less concentration, a little bit more relaxed and so on. Not that he decided to play a bad game (or that he didn't play solid), just maybe 90% instead of 100%.

You on the other hand perhaps started out feeling you were down a long way from the start and you had to give it your best effort. So, slightly more concentration then normal, perhaps a bit more calculations on the different odds and so on. So playing at 105% instead of 100%. It doesn't happen consciously. But humans are wired in such a way that external factors such as this play a big role in the outcome. We're efficient creatures. So if our mind decides that 90% is enough it's very hard to go all out.

I also agree that elf lists such as yours need a bit of a different approach. You can't just walk straight forward and take it on. It's too flexible and mobile if played right. When the dust settles, the elf unit you focussed on will be gone (like your spearmen this game), but so will the rest of your army.

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
Perhaps there is also a bit of psychology at work here.

Good point Rod. Funnily enough, the Archmage probably wasn't the worst thing to lose early doors. Facing such an awesome magic defence he probably wouldn't have got much through anyway. Plus the scroll was more important than his +3 to dispel, in the grand scheme of things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 pm 
Green Istari

Implications

Game One went pretty smoothly. The list functioned as it was supposed to and I feel my tactics were fine. Game Three was obviously a bit less comfortable but the way the list coped with the early setback of losing the Archmage was pleasing. 6-dicing Convocation on the Skinks was clearly a mistake, possibly it would have been worth a try if I'd got the AM into range of a Saurus block. This highlighted the advantage in Game One of having that spell on the Mage, though losing him and especially his scroll, would also have hurt big time.

Game Two was a different animal. As discussed under that game I don't think a direct assault would have worked. First, the Frostheart gets shot down, then the Hellcannon and spells hammer the Helm Bus and kill the characters. Then massed Deathshrieker templates take out the Swordmasters. This happens fast because of the Engineer re-rolls.

My last game at Northampton saw the Swordmasters stymied because World Dragon was in the Helms. Hence here at Worcester I reversed this and the Swordmasters performed better in games One and Three. But Game Two really found this list choice out. The Bus was pretty much naked in the face of such Magical firepower and World Dragon didn't protect the Swordmasters at all from the Deathshriekers.

Had I run the Worcester set-up, the Swordmasters would have had Ironcurse Icon and Lichebone Pennant to stack with Shield of Saphery for likely at least a 5+ Ward. The Helms with World Dragon become pretty much proof against Hellcannon and spells and very hard for the Chaos Dwarfs to deal with. Sure, the Swordmasters suffer more in certain other match-ups but the fact that I still won that third game at Northampton suggests to me that I had the list balance right at that event.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7