Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:38 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
Dwarfs look solid - tempting to come at them but a knight unit and a cannon in the flank. Its a trap!

Thanks RE, I'll reply now that RL has permitted me 5 minutes breathing space!

:)

I'm wary of a general advance, my infantry are too vulnerable to the War Machines. But my opponent definitely left me an opening on the right and the World Dragon bus is in prime position to cause trouble.

Turn One

The Dwarfs went first and remained pretty static, except for the Inner Circle moving up into cover and the Treeman moving forwards. The stone thrower killed some Swordmasters (no time for Shield of Saphery yet). The Organ Gun put two wounds on my Eagle. Keen to exploit this, my foe aimed his cannon and successfully killed both this and my chariot with a single shot!

In reply, I moved the Glade Guard into the building and threw Phoenix and Silver Helms forward on the right.

Image

I was out of range with Convocation for example but forced through Walk Between Worlds on the Helms to push these ever closer to my opponent's flank. A well-aimed bolt put two wounds on the Treeman.

Turn Two

Piqued, the Treeman advanced into Strangleroots range of the building. The Dwarf combat blocks began to turn to meet my flank attack. Some of the Glade Guard were killed despite the protection of the building, while three Silver Helms bit the dust. The Panic test on Ld 10 re-rollable was a formality.

Image

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Tricky opening - you've taken soma damage but still have a lot of potential in your force. Lets see what happens next!

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
Tricky opening - you've taken soma damage but still have a lot of potential in your force. Lets see what happens next!

Always the way against Dwarfs. Have you taken too much damage on the way in?

The Helms easily made it into the cannon. Happily, the Frostheart rolled high enough to contact the Quarrellers. Hand of Glory boosted the Glade Guard's BS, letting them put a wound on the Treeman. This was of course doubled due to Flammable, so he was down to two now. The Prince made mincemeat of the cannon crew but the Quarrellers stood up better. Despite a roll of six for Thunderstomp with concomitant losses, the Dwarf shooters held their ground.

Turn Three

The Treeman thought better of a long-ish charge on the building and retreated instead. The Dwarf blocks continued their wheel to the right. The stone thrower destroyed an RBT.

Image

Once again, luck was with the Frostheart. He rolled another six for Thunderstomp, wiped out his enemies and Reformed to face the Dwarf Warriors.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Good to see the Frostie intact and smashing enemy infantry - I think you're in control at this point but the Dwarfs are hard buggers...

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
Good to see the Frostie intact and smashing enemy infantry

Augurs well, doesn't it?

:)

Needless to say, the Phoenix made it into the Warriors. So, happily, did the Helms! I considered moving the Swordmasters up, given the end of the crossbow threat but still didn't fancy the Organ Gun, despite Shield of Saphery. This meant another magic phase out of Convocation range for the Archmage and not much else was achieved, though the Spellbreaking rune was used up.

Image

Yet another six was rolled for Thunderstomp and Steadfast was broken, the few survivors escaped the Pursuit however, leaving the Frostheart dangerously exposed.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
Looks like you're in a good place. The question now becomes, can you carry it to the end.

I was wondering T2, the SH vs the cannon, you didn't have an overrun into the quarrellers to support the phoenix? Looks like you should have had.

Some nice rolling for the thunderstomps. Just goes to show that the dice gods indeed favour nice models.

Good luck getting photobucket to work... It's always a pain in the ass for me.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
I was wondering T2, the SH vs the cannon, you didn't have an overrun into the quarrellers to support the phoenix? Looks like you should have had.

You may be right Rod. Even with the photos it's sometimes hard to recall exactly what happened.

Prince of Spires wrote:
Some nice rolling for the thunderstomps. Just goes to show that the dice gods indeed favour nice models.

Thank you! Stick around, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

:wink:


Turn Four

The Longbeards, unable to charge the Phoenix, went for the Helms, who fled heroically! A ring now closed around the Frostheart, Treeman, Irondrakes and Organ Gun all targeting him, as the Warriors rallied.

Image

The aforementioned bad boys let rip, leaving Frosty on 1 wound. Still the stone thrower to come! It hit and wounded, a failed 5+ Ward could mean a draw for my opponent. The die came up 5, huzzah!

:)

Wasting no time, lucky Jim charged the Warriors, who Held. The Helms rallied.

Image

Magic whiffed but a single bolt finished off the Treeman. The Phoenix killed the Runesmith but a 1 or 2 for Thunderstomp could see the Warriors survive. Instead it was another 6 of course and they didn't. Time was called, with me 700 or so VP's up.

12-8

We were tied on 41 tournament points! Who had more tournament VP's?

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
That Phoenix really carried you through the game :lol:

Great result =D>

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
Great result

Thank you!

:)

It transpired that my opponent's total VP's for the tournament were higher than mine, fair play to him. But my Empire opponent had tonked the Warriors of Chaos 17-3 and took the tournament with 46 TP's! Still, I was happy with how I'd played and it turned out there was a reward for third place:

Image

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Yay! Third place often feels as good as winning - you've crucially avoided the dreaded 2nd and 4th spots :lol:

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:27 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
Yay! Third place often feels as good as winning - you've crucially avoided the dreaded 2nd and 4th spots

My previous best was 4th.

:)

Dwarf Debrief

RE.Lee wrote:
That Phoenix really carried you through the game

He was awesome. My opponent definitely should have targeted him from turn one, then he might not have lived to destroy the Warriors. Dwarfs can be very hard to chew through but S6 attacks and Thunderstomp do a good job of it. That said, the World Dragon Helms were also vital. Practically immune to the war machines and packing the killing power of the Prince. As said I often feel the key to a successful assault on Dwarfs is them leaving you an opening. Here I was able to get into the weakened flank quickly and roll up the line, while not much happened elsewhere.

Ideally of course I would have moved my infantry up to support the attack, in classic Cavalry Prince style. I just felt the Swordmasters would have got shot to pieces, even with Shield of Saphery. The Treeman was also an issue. With World Dragon, they could have laughed off both threats. Being pinned back also restricted my Archmage, he was out of effective range with his High Magic spells. I did get good early use out of Walk Between Worlds and Hand of Glory helped against the Treeman. Obviously though, I was getting slightly the worse of the shooting duel and it was well that the flank attack was so successful.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:44 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
Congrats on 3rd place. Indeed much more rewarding then either 4th or 2nd :) And congrats on a new personal best.

The phoenix rolled slightly above average for thunderstomps in that game. Which probably helped a bit with the end result... Looking back at the game, the dwarf player seemed a bit indecisive somehow. If he would have put all effort into taking out a single threat before moving onto the next one he would have done better I think. As it stood now, he had dealt some wounds to most things on the table, but left everything in good enough shape to either not cost you points or to keep on fighting.

How do you feel overall about the list?

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
Congrats on 3rd place. Indeed much more rewarding then either 4th or 2nd And congrats on a new personal best.

Thanks Rod.

Prince of Spires wrote:
The phoenix rolled slightly above average for thunderstomps in that game. Which probably helped a bit with the end result...

My opponent took the four sixes very well. I guess the Phoenix was unlucky not to catch the Warriors when they fled. I kind of see my generally good dice here as counterbalancing my opponent's in the previous game.

Prince of Spires wrote:
Looking back at the game, the dwarf player seemed a bit indecisive somehow. If he would have put all effort into taking out a single threat before moving onto the next one he would have done better I think. As it stood now, he had dealt some wounds to most things on the table, but left everything in good enough shape to either not cost you points or to keep on fighting.

Agreed. Deployment and target selection are key with Dwarfs.


The List

Prince of Spires wrote:
How do you feel overall about the list?

I'm more or less happy with it. The Phoenix was instrumental to the wins and almost won the second game too. If he's not dealt with he's a major issue for the vast majority of units. He wrecks Infantry, seriously downgrades enemy attacks and grinds like a champ. The Silver Helm Bus was strong, World Dragon making it very resilient and in combination with the Frostheart the unit was lethal. Both elements are fast and put the enemy under pressure quickly, which can exploit any deployment issues he has. My shooting was fine and did it's job. Eagles were useful as expected.

The main issue was the slight softness of the Swordmasters, even with Shield of Saphery. This meant I could not move them up aggressively to support my faster troops, a waste of their abilities. It also left the Archmage out of effective spell range. I also could have done with more grinding power on the BSB, the price of carrying World Dragon.

One option is to take Book of Hoeth on the Archmage so he can cast more spells and generate a better Ward save for his unit. But the cost of this, when you factor in the Mage to carry the Dispel Scroll, renders it an option only at 2400pts+. The alternative is to switch World Dragon to the Swordmasters, letting these be much more aggressive. This weakens the Silver Helm Bus defensively (switching Ironcurse Icon to these helps a little). Ideally I'd increase their numbers but I don't have the models. It would at least be possible to then turn the BSB into a real fighter with Ogre Blade and 1+ AS.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
The List Part Deux

The complication here is that my next tournament on May 21st is at 2000pts! It's the reprise of October's event at Worcester with pretty much the same format. Here's the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/201431553675523/

In the game we've just been through, I had the following characters:

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince, Barded Steed, HA, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone
Archmage, High Magic, 4+ Ward, Ironcurse Icon
BSB, Barded Steed, Lance, HA, Shield, World Dragon
Mage, Lvl 2, High Magic, Dispel Scroll

At a straight 2000pts this is still possible but it eats up well over 800pts. If I really need to I can consider cutting magic levels. The point of course is to maintain the full power of both the Silver Helm bus and the magic phase. This time I'd consider dropping World Dragon to tool the BSB up as a fighter. If I need substantially more points elsewhere, one option is to keep strong magic but downgrade the Prince to a Noble, as in game 2:

SpellArcher wrote:
Archmage, Lvl 4 High, 4+ Ward, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon
Noble, Barded Steed, DA, Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone
BSB, Barded Steed, DA, Lance, Shield, World Dragon

Thoughts?

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Looks solid - a good magic phase is a priority at lower point levels (and 2k is just that these days). No BoH?
World Dragon should keep the two nobles quite safe, though any natural S6 will rip them apart - you should be able to dictate fights agains most stuff but this is rather match-up dependent.
I'm a big fan of the Star Lance because I don't think the unit can grind that well with a Noble.

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
Looks solid - a good magic phase is a priority at lower point levels (and 2k is just that these days). No BoH?

Thanks RE. I feel the Book is too much of a luxury here. Scroll first and the Archmage has to bring a decent Ward for when his unit sees combat.

RE.Lee wrote:
World Dragon should keep the two nobles quite safe, though any natural S6 will rip them apart - you should be able to dictate fights agains most stuff but this is rather match-up dependent.
I'm a big fan of the Star Lance because I don't think the unit can grind that well with a Noble.

Good points. It makes sense to have Star Lance/Great Weapon alongside the Ogre Blade to keep the killing power up.

A list with the Prince:

Prince, Barded Steed, HA, Giant Blade, Ench Shield, Dawnstone
Archmage, High Magic, 4+ Ward
BSB, Barded Steed, HA, Shield, Ogre Blade, Dragonhelm.
Mage, High Magic, Dispel Scroll

29 Spears, FC, Gleaming Pennant
8 Silver Helms, Shields, Std, Musician

17 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon

Frost Phoenix
2 x RBT
Eagle

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
I think I like the BotWD on the Silver Helms more - keeps you safe from some can-openers at least. Would be great to combo the cavalry unit with the Phoenix at all times - its something I've yet to achieve personally :lol:

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
As we saw in the last two games, the Frostheart/Silver Helm Bus combo is indeed deadly. What I'm concerned about is the Swordmasters being strong enough to offer close support and get that Archmage into range. The last tournament I used HE's in saw quite awesome performance from my World Dragon Swordmasters. The difference with these last games was marked. With 7 S6/7 ASF attacks from the characters I'm confident enough in the Bus as far as most combats go. The main issue is getting shot up, deployment and the Phoenix can help with that a bit. Death sniping could also get ugly, which is why the Scroll is essential.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:58 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
A few things you could think about.

- swapping the SM for WL. WL have a few things over SM, higher S and better save vs shooting. So they are more likely to get away with not having the BotWD. Would not be my choice, but it's an option.

- I would drop the second mage and move the scroll to the archmage. I didn't add up the points, but I'm guessing you'll need to drop something from your lords to make room for it. I would swap the 4+ ward for either the talisman of endurance for a 5+ ward or the opal amulet for a one time 4+ ward (I'd go for the 5+ one if there's points). Not sure if it's enough, but you could fiddle around a bit.

This last option would give you 100-ish points to put into something else. Could be a chariot, 7 more SM or an extra RBT and some bits and pieces here and there. I think for 2000pts the 4 characters is too much. It's 40% of your army in just 4 models. I can't see them earning that back. But I know we've had discussions on this before and you generally are on the other side of the discussion.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
There are player who will focus on the more immediate threat of the SH/Frostie and there are those who will try and find a weak spot in the army and take advantage of that. The placement of the BotWD should probably depend on who you think you will encounter :wink:

I keep seeing the Swordmasters as such good targets against most shooting but maybe thats just the perspective of my heavy-BS-shooting meta, which is rather unusual.

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Thanks guys.

RE.Lee wrote:
I keep seeing the Swordmasters as such good targets against most shooting but maybe thats just the perspective of my heavy-BS-shooting meta, which is rather unusual.

Even under the old army book, with minimal protection, I found careful use of Swordmasters meant they were rarely shot up for free. I remember one game vs Tomb Kings where I basically wrote them off as a distraction and three of them still survived to chop through the flank. They start with a 5+ Armour Save which is worth having against archery. Shield of Saphery, on top of Deflect Shots and maybe Ironcurse Icon, means they are fine against average shooting phases. World Dragon tips the balance because a lot of the scariest phases (Dwarfs, Wood Elves) rely on Magical shots. These still have non-magical elements but taking the rest straight out of the game means you can usually weather what's left.

Prince of Spires wrote:
swapping the SM for WL. WL have a few things over SM, higher S and better save vs shooting. So they are more likely to get away with not having the BotWD. Would not be my choice, but it's an option.

Against the very dangerous Dark Elves for example, I'd agree with you Rod. But Lion Cloaks don't work vs Magical shots, so I regard World Dragon as pretty much essential, to cover this weakness. Once that's included though, there's less call for the Archmage to accompany them for Shield of Saphery. So they are an interesting option if I feel like trying a longer-ranged Lore like Shadow or Heavens for example.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I would drop the second mage and move the scroll to the archmage. I didn't add up the points, but I'm guessing you'll need to drop something from your lords to make room for it. I would swap the 4+ ward for either the talisman of endurance for a 5+ ward or the opal amulet for a one time 4+ ward (I'd go for the 5+ one if there's points). Not sure if it's enough, but you could fiddle around a bit.

The problem is, I'm right on the limit of my Lords allowance, can't even afford Scroll plus 5+ Ward. If I went for Lions, a backroom Archmage with Scroll (and no Mage) would absolutely make sense. Bunkering in Spears isn't ideal though and that would accentuate this problem that I already have.

Prince of Spires wrote:
This last option would give you 100-ish points to put into something else. Could be a chariot, 7 more SM or an extra RBT and some bits and pieces here and there. I think for 2000pts the 4 characters is too much. It's 40% of your army in just 4 models. I can't see them earning that back. But I know we've had discussions on this before and you generally are on the other side of the discussion.

You're in good company Rod because that was Seredain's opinion too! He felt that the magic needed to be cut at this points level. His original concept for the whole Cavalry Prince set-up had a souped-up Lvl 2 instead of the Archmage. The problem is, I feel the Swordmasters need the AM. I don't like only having 2 RBT for shooting but I don't have enough Archers to fill out Core, hence the Spears. On the plus side, the unusual scoring system of this event does favour larger units for points denial and I can double-up on Soul Quench if necessary to mitigate my lack of ranged threat.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:
I would drop the second mage and move the scroll to the archmage. I didn't add up the points, but I'm guessing you'll need to drop something from your lords to make room for it. I would swap the 4+ ward for either the talisman of endurance for a 5+ ward or the opal amulet for a one time 4+ ward (I'd go for the 5+ one if there's points). Not sure if it's enough, but you could fiddle around a bit.

The problem is, I'm right on the limit of my Lords allowance, can't even afford Scroll plus 5+ Ward. If I went for Lions, a backroom Archmage with Scroll (and no Mage) would absolutely make sense. Bunkering in Spears isn't ideal though and that would accentuate this problem that I already have.

You're indeed correct. Points are very tight in your lord section. The only way to make room for the scroll then is to drop either the Dawnstone (and take the luckstone instead for at least 1 reroll) or drop the giant blade (and either move the ogre blade to the lord or just bring a GW, in which case you could also add a 4th lvl to the archmage).

Another option I've looked at is to drop the archmage alltogether and actually bring two lvl 2 mages and give one of them a scroll. They would set you back 265 pts, which is about the same as a single lvl3 archmage (which comes in at 230). You lose a casting level but you gain a spell, which is worth as much. It saves you 75 to 110 pts (depending on wether you have a second level on your regular mage in your list or not) which you can then move somewhere else. This for instance would get you that third RBT and possibly a powerstone and a SM (or 3 SM). Or 6 SM or something else entirely.

This is probably the option I like best. It only reduces your magic ability by the bare minimum (and if you bring a powestone you've got one superior phase even) and it can give a significant boost elsewhere.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
You're indeed correct. Points are very tight in your lord section. The only way to make room for the scroll then is to drop either the Dawnstone (and take the luckstone instead for at least 1 reroll) or drop the giant blade (and either move the ogre blade to the lord or just bring a GW, in which case you could also add a 4th lvl to the archmage).

These cuts nerf the Prince too much I think Rod. I still feel the way to get the scroll in would be to drop the Archmage's Ward and move him out of the Swordmasters, exchanging them for Lions. But three spells isn't really enough. Add Ruby Ring possibly.

Prince of Spires wrote:
Another option I've looked at is to drop the archmage alltogether and actually bring two lvl 2 mages and give one of them a scroll. They would set you back 265 pts, which is about the same as a single lvl3 archmage (which comes in at 230). You lose a casting level but you gain a spell, which is worth as much. It saves you 75 to 110 pts (depending on wether you have a second level on your regular mage in your list or not) which you can then move somewhere else. This for instance would get you that third RBT and possibly a powerstone and a SM (or 3 SM). Or 6 SM or something else entirely.

I considered this but with a 4+ Ward on the lvl 2 who doesn't carry the scroll. I don't trust the Swordmasters without Shield of Saphery. Making points to get in the third RBT would be good. But the Archmage brings a lot. He lends the Swordmasters Ld 9 and he has three wounds. Plus with three spells in the unit, the chances of boosting that Ward are greater.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
It's all about compromises, especially at 2000pts and below.

In the end, the only thing you really lose by replacing the Archmage with 2 regular mages is the LD9 and 3+ to cast. You can put the two mages in the SM unit, giving them 4 high magic spells. Combined they have more wounds then the archmage and those wounds are spread over 2 models. So if you lose one you still have the other. You can even risk casting on fewer dice, since a failed cast doesn't mean no other spells can be cast from that unit.

Is it ideal? No, definitely not. But it's about compromises and points. And if you feel like you've got too many points invested in characters and at the same time want to keep up the hitting power of your prince, bring a scroll and have decent magic then this is the way to do it. You lose very little but gain a lot. It's slightly riskier then when you bring the AM. But not a lot so. Even dropping the LD from 9 to 8 is acceptable. Yes, it's more risky. But if you're in range of your BSB and / or prince then you get LD8 with reroll or LD10.

The other option is to change your list a lot more. Which then means bringing some other unit instead of SM. PG are more then happy on their own or with a single LVL2 mage in there. And it frees up the BotWD for somewhere else (they benefit much more from the razor banner or something like the banner of Discipline). WL again have other strengths and weaknesses, which means they allow for different character set-ups.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
You can put the two mages in the SM unit, giving them 4 high magic spells.

This is a very good point that I had not considered Rod. I guess I have a dread of spells like Dwellers and obviously the risk is they die too easily in combat. But World Dragon helps here and as you say, every cast is +1 Ward save. Some care is required but it's generally true that often you want the foot characters in the World Dragon unit. Especially when the alternative is Spears. If I double up on Soul Quench for example I want both mages closing with the enemy. As it happens I ran out of time and submitted the list I posted earlier but I can still combine the mages. Army shot:

Image

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:54 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:
You can put the two mages in the SM unit, giving them 4 high magic spells.

This is a very good point that I had not considered Rod. I guess I have a dread of spells like Dwellers and obviously the risk is they die too easily in combat. But World Dragon helps here and as you say, every cast is +1 Ward save. Some care is required but it's generally true that often you want the foot characters in the World Dragon unit. Especially when the alternative is Spears. If I double up on Soul Quench for example I want both mages closing with the enemy.

Always keep in mind that even though you're planning to put the mages in a certain unit when you're putting together your list it doesn't mean you have to put them in that unit when you're deploying or have to keep them in the unit during the game. If you're running into a dwellers army you could opt to spread the mages over two units. It weakens the SM unit but reduces the dwellers risk. They are slightly more vulnerable in combat then the AM, since they only have 2 wounds each instead of 3. And they will likely face more attacks (combined between them) then the single archmage. Still, 1 T3 wound doesn't get you very far.

One thing I realised earlier in a different thread is that the ring of fury would work really well in this setup. It gives you an extra High magic spell, at only 3+ to cast with no downside for that 1-3 chance of failing that 3+ roll (besides losing a PD). It's a cheap and easy way to boost the ward save on the SM (giving you a fairly easy 5+ ward vs shooting). And I think it works better on a 2 lvl 2 mage setup than on an archmage (who is to expensive and has too many spells for such a 'gimmick').

Worth trying at some (later) point I think.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Warsaw, Poland
SpellArcher wrote:
Army shot:


Nice!

Listening to you guys makes me want to give High Magic a try again - its a mistake I've made so many times now :lol:

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Prince of Spires wrote:
Always keep in mind that even though you're planning to put the mages in a certain unit when you're putting together your list it doesn't mean you have to put them in that unit when you're deploying or have to keep them in the unit during the game. If you're running into a dwellers army you could opt to spread the mages over two units. It weakens the SM unit but reduces the dwellers risk. They are slightly more vulnerable in combat then the AM, since they only have 2 wounds each instead of 3. And they will likely face more attacks (combined between them) then the single archmage. Still, 1 T3 wound doesn't get you very far.

Absolutely Rod, the Spears give me an option. Against Skaven say, I might even deploy both mages there.

Prince of Spires wrote:
ring of fury

If I'm expecting to run the carrier in the SM then I agree. It would be too short-ranged if in the Spears I think because they'd be less aggressive. Worth trying.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I think it works better on a 2 lvl 2 mage setup than on an archmage

Depends. I really like solo Archmage with Scroll, Fury, 4+ Ward. But that requires a bigger Lords allowance.

RE.Lee wrote:
Listening to you guys makes me want to give High Magic a try again - its a mistake I've made so many times now

It all depends on the build RE. Apotheosis and Walk Between Worlds are wonderful for Star Dragon. Hand is superb on a big Archer unit. But the key thing is to have a unit like Phoenix Guard, Swordmasters or Silver Helms that can reach a new level of awesomeness thanks to Shield of Saphery. 3++ PG with 3++ characters is horrific.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11612
Location: Otherworld
Worcester 2017

Image

For some reason best known to myself, I photographed a random building I liked the look of rather than the venue, St Swithun's Institute. But at least I took a photo. My phone died late afternoon, so I only have shots from the first two games sadly.

So last Sunday I returned to this event, run by the guys at Worcester War Games. Three uncomped games of Battle Line at 2000pts, no End Times, no 50% Lords and Heroes. An unusual scoring system, instead of VP's per the rulebook, points were awarded as follows:

Enemy wiped out 4 points
First Blood (kill first unit) 1 point
Line Breaker (unit finishing in enemy deployment zone) 1 point
Each unit killed 1 point
General killed 2 points
Each character killed 1 point
Each table quarter held 1 point

These points were then totalled and 3 added for a win, 1 for a draw. The result was your score for the round.

There were 4(!) High Elf players, 2 Lizardmen, Daemons, Skaven, Chaos Dwarfs and Warriors of Chaos. My list, as posted previously:

Prince, Barded Steed, HA, Giant Blade, Ench Shield, Dawnstone
Archmage, High Magic, 4+ Ward
BSB, Barded Steed, HA, Shield, Ogre Blade, Dragonhelm.
Mage, High Magic, Dispel Scroll

29 Spears, FC, Gleaming Pennant
8 Silver Helms, Shields, Std, Musician

17 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon

Frost Phoenix
2 x RBT
Eagle

Happily, I was drawn against Matt and his lovely Warriors of Chaos in round one.

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6437
Location: The city of Spires
It's a nice looking building :) Enough reason for me to take a picture of it.

Interesting scoring system. It seems to promote large units, but it doesn't really like characters. And the points for table quarters and Line breaker promote having some smaller, fast units around that can score or contest points. First blood is the main one I don't like I think. Simply because it's not something you can plan for. There's a big chance the army going first gets the first kill. Just play vs something with artillery or shooting as a HE player. They target your eagle, deal the two wound and they've scored a point. Not really anything that can be done here.

Still, Bring it on!

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group