Getting my Asrai ready to take on the stunties in WAP

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ramesesis

Getting my Asrai ready to take on the stunties in WAP

#1 Post by Ramesesis »

I posted some pics of the treeman I was working on to my gaming buddy. He replied that my asrais needed to taste some dwarven axe.
I replied that it was the dwarves who needed to get their beards trimmad.

So it seem I have to get my asrais into shape. I will post a list I am working on.
My new treeman Grot will come aswell as my treekins, the three Amigos
And of course Raimie with his Eternal guards
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Getting my Asrai ready to take on the stunties in WAP

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Ramesesis wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:51 pm My new treeman Grot will come
Watch out Dwarfs!
Ramesesis

#3 Post by Ramesesis »

Yes, hopefully he will not just end up as a huge cannonball target.
Ramesesis

#4 Post by Ramesesis »

I was going through my list for an eventual encounter with the dwarves when I realized something I had missed earlier. Dryads, while having hatred, ability to choose aspects and two attacks, only have strength 3 and thoughness 3.
I was so into older rules that I had missed this. This suddenly made taking them against dwarves less then ideal.
The elven archery gets -1 AP and with enchanted arrows can become -2. The Eternal guard only have str3 but are stubborn and if lead by a highborn with The Rhymers harp gets a 5+ ward save which becomes 4+ when stacked with elven grace.

The wardancers are also strength 3 BUT can ger killing blow as one of their dances.
The treeman and my three treekins are way more of solid choices. So it seems I will need to switch the dryads for more elves.
Ramesesis

#5 Post by Ramesesis »

The army is taking form. I will have 27 Eternal guards with my highborn.
Since the dryads are only str3 and T3, and since my army is winter themed, they will stay at home. My treeman and three treekins and a unit of Riders of Kurnous will be the sole forest spirits.

Wardancers with their access to killing blow and waywatchers with lethal shot, will also be crucial.
Tethlis

#6 Post by Tethlis »

How did this go? I only saw the post recently.

On the face of things, I'd say Eternal Guard v Dwarves is handing free kills to the enemy. I think Eternal Guard would struggle to beat even standard Dwarf Warriors, let alone their elite offerings.

Dryads are certainly strange with their multitude of rules. I can't say I've found myself particularly drawn to using them either.

I typically put bows in the hands of my Elves, and let the larger Forest Spirits do the fighting. Wild Riders are certainly worth a mention, though they'll have to be selective about how and when they move into range of the Dwarven shooting phase.
Warden of Tor Galadh