Malossar's off to Southern Assault!

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Malossar
Something Cool

Malossar's off to Southern Assault!

#1 Post by Malossar »

Hey guys! I'm off to my first 1.0 tournament this weekend and I'm pretty excited. My last event I finished third overall after losing 14-6 in game 5 to the eventual saurian ancient winner (I'm still having nightmares about that bsb sticking on snake eyes).

My list is a combined arms approach and so far in testing has been rather strong. I guess we'll see this weekend how well it'll do eh?

Joe Finlayson High Born Elves

Prince (135) [General]
+Heavy Armor (8)
+Shield (5)
+Prince of Ryma (30)
-Elven Steed (0), Mounts Protection 5+ (10)
+Giant Sword (60)
+Daemon Hunter Helm (35)
+Potion of Speed (5)
=288

Commander (70)
+Queens Companion (20)
+Battle Standard Bearer (25)
+Great Bow of Elu (35)
+Heavy Armor (5)
+Hardend Shield (5)
=160

Mage (70) [Lore of White Magic]
+Level 2 (25)
+Dispel Scroll (35)
=130

Mage (70) [Lore of White Magic]
+Level 2 (25)
+Tome of Arcane Lore (15)
=110

10x Citizen Archers (90)
+Standard Bearer (10)
=100

30x Citizen Spears (270)
+Heavy Armor (60)
+Full Command Group (30)
+War Standard (15)
=345

Elein Reavers (85)
+Bows (5)
=90

Elein Reavers (85)
+Bows (5)
=90

10x Knights of Ryma (270)
+Devastating Charge (50)
+Full Command Group (30)
+War Banner of Ryma (30)
=380

14x Swordmasters (168)
+Full Command Group (30)
+Flaming Banner (20)
+Beast Bane Halberd (25)
=253

Frostheart Phoenix
=200
Giant Eagle
=50
Sea Guard Reaper
+Multi Shot
=80
Sea Guard Reaper
+Multi Shot
=80
8x Grey Watchers (128)
+Long Bow (16)
=144

2500/2500

Decent amount of shooting (looking to win the chaff battle here not win games), excellent magical support in white magic (give it a go and I promise you won't regret it), and some pretty nasty combat blocks in spears, swords and knights of ryma (str 7 knights!). The phoenix acts as a shooting magnet (PTSD from 8th I think) and combat support (ever watched Empire Halberds cry when they're losing to spear elves). He's also extremely useful in the elf matchups giving even our core troops an advantage over elites. I also have squeezed in 3 units of chaff to act as redirectors or harass warmachines.

The list is submitted so I can't make any changes but I'm always open to suggestions.

There also might be some battle reports posted on a certain youtube channel if some idiot can remember to take pictures :roll:
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Arhain

Re: Malossar's off to Southern Assault!

#2 Post by Arhain »

Glad you stuck with the GW.

As I've said, I think this is an absolutely beautiful army list. Since ill be at the beach instead of SA, damn right you better take photos, I'm going to be living off the bat reps for the week!
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
JimmyGrill

#3 Post by JimmyGrill »

Yay, battle reports! :D
Cold Phoenix

#4 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Interesting list. Do you find that the Daemonhunter Helm is worth it over Dawnstone + Dragonhelm/Enchanted Shield? Why HA on the Spears? Is it because it combos well with the Frosty? How are you finding the Prince of Ryma + Knights of Ryma? How do the Swordmasters do? Lastly, the mage bunkers look a bit small, does anyone with lots of BS shooting (like SE) try to shoot them off?

I'd really love to see some battle reports showing how the list works!
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Can't argue with the prince build, although IMO it is a bit of a toss-up between that and 1+/1+ (and there are some other interesting options out there too, I quite like +3A and PoS, but +3S is probably more reliable).

Why QC on BSB, given your shooting set-up? And/or, why Bow of Eru given MS3 already? I'd be tempted by one or the other, e.g. to buff GW or to buff her own shooting, but both feel points inefficient to me. Is the buff of the bow enough to warrant paying for MS twice?

Mage set up is solid. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on lores though, I tend to want fire and alchemy in my lists to deal with elves and stank-types, but you've got two sources of S7 so you can maybe afford to pass on alchemy. I'd still maybe worry against elves a little - there's a lot of points tied up in Rhyma knights and Prince, and if they can be tied up your swordmasters unit is small and would be a ranged priority, and then there's nothing that special left IMO. That said, they still have to tie up your cav and you've got some decent shooting and redirectors yourself, so its eaiser said than done.

What's your plan with SM? Set up looks solid vs all comers, but they're pretty vulnerable - any thoughts or practice on how to protect them? Especially as IMO there aren't any other solid targets for low S shooting.

Rest of the list is very similar to what I tend to run in rare :).

As an oddball question, but are you tempted to mount your mages on horse chariots? It's inexpensive, reasonably fast, adds extra threats...and in htis list where would you bunker them - all your units bar GW are presumably tasked for combat?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Malossar
Something Cool

#6 Post by Malossar »

I'll address army comments in the reaction, tomorrow I promise.

Here's a quick write up, also posted on T9A forum:

All right! I'm back from Southern Assault and am trying to wind down from a long drive (probably drank too much coffee X( )

Anyway onto the games:

Game 1: Dwarven Holds:
Lord with lots of things
BsB with lots of things
Engineer
Runesmith with things
Runesmith with things

Block of Grey Beards
12x Crossbows

Block of Hammerers
Organ Gun
Organ Gun
Cannon
10x Wyrm Slayer (Iron Drakes?)

Oh goody dwarfs in game 1! So we line up, I take second and proceed to threaten with the Knights to force him to either give me the flank unsupported or clear his castle opening up his warmachines. He chooses the later, I shoot and chaff charge his warmachines, engineer and crossbow dwarfs. He manages to kill the frostheart with the organ gun (i charged my reavers and lost haha) before the Grey wardens pop it off. I lose frost heart, both reavers and the eagle. Never see significant combat I win 11-9 but after bonus scenario points I end up with 15.

Game 2: Dwarven Holds:
Master Engineer w. Stubborn, other things
Engineer
Engineer
Dragon Slayer

25 Handgunners
19x Grey Beards
6x Slayers

Attack Gyro x 2
Flame Copter
Bomber
Organ Gun
Organ Gun
Cannon

Grudge Seeker
Vengeance Seeker
Vengeance Seeker

Yay! Dwarven Gunline again! This one was more interesting as I was able to clear his copters, organ gun, engineer, all of the slayers and the flying grinding chariot. I actually got into his general's unit with my knights of ryma but he popped his stubborn on one turn item that I did not know he had. I also on the charge rolled awesome and only killed 4 hand gunners! Only did a wound to his general. I would grind them for awhile but he got his grey beards in my flank and i lost the unit. I killed enough though to win 11-9 and with scenario bonuses I ended up with 15.

Game 3: Sylvan Elves
Branchwraith with Wilderness
Branchwraith with Wilderness
Treekin BsB w. +1 strength to unit

29x Dryads w. FC
29x Dryads w. FC

8x Tree Kin w. FC

Eagle
Eagle
Treeman
Treeman

Yay! Something other than dwarves no hiding just smashing. I light up his treeman and kill both with shooting, gogo grey wardens and great bow + bolt throwers. I utterly smash his combat units and win 20 points.

Game 4: Empire of Sonnstahl
General w. 2+, 4++ on griffon
General w. 2+, 4++ on griffon
General w. Distracting, 2+, 5++ on griffon

Bsb w. 1+ reroll on horse
Mage lvl 2 death
Mage lvl 2 death

6x Knights
5x Knights
5x Knights
14x IC Knights w. FC

4x Demis
4x Demis
Hurricanum

I was curious about this match up as I move almost as fast as he does but I outshoot him and I have some hard counters (spears!) I also dominate the chaff match up.

I'm able to do 3 wounds to the distracting griffon with a bolt thrower, and the BsB puts a wound on his general on turn 1. I redirect almost his entire army and advance to fill in the spaces. He charges my swords with his general and another griffon who promptly flee. I'm able to then charge his general (who flees) right into a demi-gryph unit which gets blown up and I overrun into the dead general. In other news the grey wardens kill the distracting griffon and I shoot up some knights that are about to get my bolt thrower they then panic.

I end up tabling my opponent and with bonus points get 25. Which unfortunately springs me to table 1 where I have to play Ogres.

Game 5: Ogre Khans
Lvl 4 on Butchery w. +1 to casting
BsB w. things (never got there)

8x Tribesmen with FC Iron fists
8x Tribesmen w. FC Iron Fists

6x Leadbelchers
2x Mournfang
2x Mournfang

8x Maneaters w. Champ, Brace of Pistols, Posion, +1 BS
Ice Mammoth

So. Nothing went right from turn 1. I considered castling in a corner and taking a 10-10 but that would have meant I was playing for second place. I needed to win by at least 15 or 16 to win the tournament. So I pushed, on turn 1 I lost my dragon prince unit, and my sword masters to shooting. Good game! He rolled super hot and killed everything before my second movement phase. Maneaters when backed by the ice mammoth are just ridiculous! 5 attacks at str 5 with iniative 4. They also shoot extremely well.

So I scored 3 points for playing the scenario but tumbled all the way to 6th place overall after some people on lower tables scored huge wins to spring over me. Just for the record, had I taken the tie I would have ended 3rd overall.

Took best high elf and 2nd best paint after the TO awarded me my painting points (little computing error). I'm pretty happy with how the list played, more reacting coming up, but I won 4 games and I think only had one match up where I was confident in winning (tree spirits).

Had lots of fun and am now prepping for buckeye.
Iain

#7 Post by Iain »

well played Malossar, looking forward to hearing a review of the units taken.

Can you clarify your thinking behind the queen's guard and bow of elu? If the multi shots stacked to give 6 shots I could see it but all i can see is gaining quick to fire.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

Any update Mal?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Malossar
Something Cool

#9 Post by Malossar »

Check The channel :shock:

I must confess I've been updating the list on T9A forum more frequently ;)

Prince - 335
+Armor of Destiny
+Dusk Stone
+Divine Icon
+Huntsmen
+Great Weapon
+Lion Chariot

Archmage - 305
+Level 4 Lore of White Magic
+Asfad Scholar
+Book of Arcane Power

Commander - 207
+Master of the Canrieg Tower
+Alchemy, Wilderness
+Dispel Scroll
+Long Bow

30x Spears - 285
+Full Command
+War Standard

16x Archers - 164
+Banner, Musician

5x Elein Reavers -90
+Bows
5x Elein Reavers -90
+Bows

20x Phoenix Guard - 315
+Full Command

14x Swordmasters - 253
+Full Command
+Beast Bane Halberd
+Flaming Banner

6x Knights of Ryma - 242
+Muscian, Standard Bearer, Warbanner of Ryma

Sea Guard Reaper - 80
+Multi Shot
Sea Guard Reaper - 80
+Multi Shot
Great Eagle - 50

So I lose a lot of shooting by dropping the grey wardens. But! I gain
5 spells and get 2 really solid spells as well. Alchemy for those
gdamn steam tanks and wilderness because it's a must stop on: spears,
phoenix guard and swordmasters. I also have a much more solid magic
defense base with drain magic and the +3 to stop spells. I really like
the bonus range on Asfad for white magic too.