Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm
Posts: 7
Hello fellow generals.

In a couple of weeks, I'll be attending a tournament. This is my list, and I would be very pleased to hear some thoughts and ideas from you. The idea behind the list is that it should be mobile, shooty and still be able to claim objectives. My experience so far with HBE in 9th tells me that our blocks can't go head to head with other big blocks, thus I try to avoid them or weaken them first.


Prince Master of Canreig Tower: Book of Meladys; Shard of cenyrn; Mithril Mail; Lucky charm; Great weapon 390

Commander BSB Master of Canreig Tower: Fire, Shadow, Halberd, Dispel scroll 213

6 Highborn Lancers: Mounts protection, Standard Bearer 142
5 Highborn Lancers: Mounts protection, Standard Bearer 120

5 Elein Reavers 85

27 Citizen Spears: Heavy armour, full command 297

10 Lion guard: Skirmish, Champion, Standard Bearer (banner of becalming) 205

19 swordmasters: full command, Rending banner 303

Lion chariot 100
Lion chariot 100

Sea guard reaper multi shot 80
Sea guard reaper multi shot 80
Sea guard reaper multi shot 80

9 Greay watchers: long bows 144

Flamespyre phoenix 160


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Munich, Germany
Well, reminds me a lot of my army, so I like the basic concept, I guess :lol:

One thing though, you can't have two MoCT, as they are one of a kind :wink:

Another thing that seems to be lacking is chaff/diverters, you only have a single Reaver unit for that... I have found diverters to be critical for an army concept like this because you will almost always need combo-charges to prevail.

I'm not a big fan of your choice of magic banners, I don't think SM have a huge need for AP, I think there are much better choices for them. Personally, I run mine with Stalker Standard, but there are several other attractive options, too. I often go for the movement banners, because the movement phase is where the game is decided, and HBE need to make maximum use of their speed advantage to win.

Concerning HA for the spears, this is also a contentious point... I have tried both, and while I like the extra pip of AS, I have found the spears' numbers is their best protection, and also for the price of the HA upgrade I get an eagle, so that settled it. If it were cheaper (like 1.5 points), I will go for HA again.
YMMV, though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm
Posts: 7
Hi JimmyGrill

Thanks for the response. You are of course right about the MoCT and one of kind, so I've tried a new list:

Archmage lvl. 4 Death Asfad Scholar; Obsidian Nullstone; Book of meladys 345
Commander BSB Master of Canreig Tower: Shadow, Fire, Halberd 213

6 Highborn lancers: Standard Bearer (gleaming Icon) 152
5 Highborn Lancers standard bearer 125
5 Elain reavers: Bows 90
27 Citizen spears Heavy armour full command 297

10 Lion guard: Skirmish, Banner of discipline; Champion 195
19 Swordmasters full command (flaming standard) 288

Lion chariot 100
Lion chariot 100

Sea guard Reaper 80
Sea guard Reaper 80
Sea guard Reaper 80

9 Grey watchers 144

Flamespyre 160

Giant eagle 50

I'm not really sure about a lvl. 4 in a HBE army, but I just think death with extra range has some potential. There should also be some synergy with the path attribute, the amount of shooting the list contains and a terror causing monster.
I've also added a eagle, which hopefully buys be a extra round of shooting/magic. I will be testing the list over the next weeks, so we will have to see how it works out :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 am
Posts: 17
Isn't it risky to equip your BSP without any armor/ward saves?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:52 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12432
Location: Otherworld
JimmyGrill wrote:
I often go for the movement banners, because the movement phase is where the game is decided, and HBE need to make maximum use of their speed advantage to win.

This looks like a good point to me. The list has speed but not on really heavy hitters. The shooting is enough to be useful here but not enough to be able to sit back vs shooty opposition.

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm
Posts: 7
So I attended the tournament which was Called ETC warmup. We played in teams like ETC and many of the top countries where present (Germany, England, Sweden).

Anyway to make a long story short the list was quit succesfull. I won 4, 1 draw and 1 loss.

Things I really liked:
Lvl. 4 death with Asfad honour: Oh he was good. He just murders monsters, which are out of the ld range from the general. Further, he is a constant threat for opponents generals with his soul leach LD10. The path has relatively low casting values and works great with shooting.

Lion chariot: They are just great. An unfortunate thing is that IMO they are better in every way than the knights of Rymam which is 60 points more. Of course the knights can take a banner, but otherwise I prefer the lion chariot.

Spears: They are great as well. If I could change a thing I would skip HA on them and also give them the gleaming icon. Usually I send them outside general and BSB range because I need them to perform specific tasks only they can do due to their lethal strike. Best example is to take on a steam tank. They just murder it over 2-3 rounds of combat.

The only thing, I'm not fully convinced by is the flamespyre. It did well, but it is just so extremely fragile with only 5 wounds and t5. I included it because a fear/terror causing creature is very good with death magic. However, you don't really want the flamespyre in close combat..


Otherwise I really like the feel of the list in the sense that it is very mobile, shooty and have good magic. Finally it can also do some damage in close combat, but you need to whittle your opponent down before combat happens - Feels elvish :).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:59 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12432
Location: Otherworld
Thanks for the update Andros, that's a strong event and a good result.

So would you say Death magic is as fearsome as in 8th? Maybe the Lion Chariots work well here because you have plenty of Infantry? I'm thinking Knights might be better in a list with fast heavy threats because they can March? The Gleaming Icon was often a good choice for Spears in early 8th.

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
AndrosV wrote:
Things I really liked:
Lvl. 4 death with Asfad honour: Oh he was good. He just murders monsters, which are out of the ld range from the general. Further, he is a constant threat for opponents generals with his soul leach LD10. The path has relatively low casting values and works great with shooting.

How'd you get Ld10?

_________________
thelordcal wrote:
Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:
That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:
I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group