v0.99 updated list

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
PadForce

v0.99 updated list

#1 Post by PadForce »

Rightyo.

So with the imo over the top nerfs to the Loremaster, and also the nerf delivered to ridden flame phoenix I have changed up the list I took to Cardiff.

Subbed in an ethereal life archmage to go in the SMs instead of a loremaster, and then a lion chariot bsb and 2 lion chariots instead of the flame phoenix bsb. If all three lion chariots are alive and get the charge off they will do 3d6+3 S6 impact hits, followed by 12 S6 Lion attacks (ws5), 6 s7 crew attacks (ws5), and 4 S6 from the bsb with LR & WS6. Main plan is that opponents realise how bad that would be for them and that hopefully allows the swordmasters to make it to combat relatively unscathed. Obviously the life mage will be focused on defensive buffing & wound healing.

I dropped the Frost phoenix which I was previously taking to provide an edge over other elves because with impacts hits and 2 I6 units in the SMs and the Knights, I am happy going in a different direction.

Flame phoenix is there to be annoying for hordes, and if I am against Skaven or even mass ranked S3 elves I could go for dwellers on the AM. Typical Lvl 1 metal mage because I need a scroll and together with Molten Metal he is good support.

I have 5 points left over I don't know what to do with, and I am also not 100% sure on the Queens guard. I could in fact drop the QG and add 2 more eagles to my current solo one, but then they become less re-directy. I could drop the QG for a non-repeating bolt thrower. Atm they would obv just be used against high T monsters, but with only 5 they will be evaporating from the table pretty quickly!

Anyway looking forward to comments.

Cheers,

PadForce

Lord
Archmage
Path of Nature
Level 4
Gleaming Robes
Book of Arcane Power

Hero
Commander
Royal Huntsman
Lion Chariot
BSB
War Banner of Ryma
Hero's Sword
Heavy Armour
Shield

Mage
Path of Alchemy
Dispel Scroll

Core
Sea Guard x27
Musician, Standard

Highborn Lancers x12
Veteran Standard Bearer
Banner of Speed

Special
Knights of Ryma x5
Devastating Charge

Swordmasters x21
Standard, Champion
Rending Banner

Lion Chariot x2

Sea Guard Reaper x2
Repeating Shot

Rare
Fire Phoenix

Queens Guard x5

Eagle

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: v0.99 updated list

#2 Post by Ferny »

Interesting point about I6 and frosty - I was auto including one for just these match ups but I like your thought process there, something to consider if the list is right.

RE: lore - I know this is heretical given what's been said about it, but what about white magic instead of life? I find life too restrictive, with very little offensive options it doesn't add anything to some match ups despite the huge points investment. Whereas life's attribute is almost made for chariots (especially since the recent changes). You've also got magic missiles (with access to holy), unforging, a big 6, BS boost for seaguard or repeater...

But then life potentially allows you to keep swordmasters alive...! I find them a tricky unit to take because you more or less need to get either regen or +2T off to make them reach combat (against armies with BS shooting), which is therefore tapping into your spell output which could be cotnributing to your offence.

Note - you can only take 2 eagles now they're rare, so if you did drop sisters you'd still have some points spare. Unless you mean make the unit bigger, in which case I'd have to ask to what end?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Giladis
The Merlord

#3 Post by Giladis »

The only unit that looks odd in the list to me are the QG, looks to fragile for what it brings. I would be seriously tempted to exchange it either for another single Eagle and a Swordmaster, or to boost the existing eagle with 2 more friends.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

PadForce wrote:Subbed in an ethereal life archmage to go in the SMs instead of a loremaster
Will this guy hide in the Sea Guard vs Daemons for example?
PadForce wrote:3d6+3 S6 impact hits,
I believe the BSB can only join one of the other chariots?
PadForce wrote:Main plan is that opponents realise how bad that would be for them and that hopefully allows the swordmasters to make it to combat relatively unscathed.
Because chariots can't March, you're probably looking at not charging before turn three Padforce. You have faster units but not really hefty ones. This gives your opponent a little breathing space to shoot you so Path of Nature seems to make sense. On the other hand, maybe you could force through Blessing of Amhar by drawing dice with other spells.

Book of Arcane Power looks really good considering how hard bonuses generally are to get. BSB looks a little vulnerable to War Machines, maybe a defensive item? Powerful enemy characters might be an issue.
PadForce

#5 Post by PadForce »

SpellArcher wrote:
PadForce wrote:Subbed in an ethereal life archmage to go in the SMs instead of a loremaster
Will this guy hide in the Sea Guard vs Daemons for example?
PadForce wrote:3d6+3 S6 impact hits,
I believe the BSB can only join one of the other chariots?
PadForce wrote:Main plan is that opponents realise how bad that would be for them and that hopefully allows the swordmasters to make it to combat relatively unscathed.
Because chariots can't March, you're probably looking at not charging before turn three Padforce. You have faster units but not really hefty ones. This gives your opponent a little breathing space to shoot you so Path of Nature seems to make sense. On the other hand, maybe you could force through Blessing of Amhar by drawing dice with other spells.

Book of Arcane Power looks really good considering how hard bonuses generally are to get. BSB looks a little vulnerable to War Machines, maybe a defensive item? Powerful enemy characters might be an issue.
I hadn't really though about Daemons but yeah I guess that is a good idea! One of the drawbacks with life is limited range however so that could cause me some problems if he cant be front and centre.

I also have not played much with chariots, so ill just have to get some practice.. healing sounds though will be very good tho.