v0.12 sneak peak crashed T9A forum?

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

v0.12 sneak peak crashed T9A forum?

#1 Post by Ferny »

Has the sky actually fallen in on T9A forum with today's sneak peak? I was merrily putting off my early night reading through the analysis and froth and now it won't reload. Is anyone else getting this problem or just me?

And is it the high elven contingent of that forum which is single handedly bringing it down? :wink:
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: v0.12 sneak peak crashed T9A forum?

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

No idea. Forum seems to be up again.

Of course, feel free to hang around here in the mean time. We've got bandwidth to spare. ;)

How do you like the sneak peak?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

Tell you what rod, i do miss ulthuan. There are good quality posts and posters over there, but with all the froth over 'fighting' for 'our' army's rules it gets lost. Hopefully itll settle down once the book is more fixed. The tone over here usually feels more mature, like the difference between gaming in a gw store with enthusiastic kids and discovering there's a whole alternative tournament and indy scene and that other adults haven't grown out of playing with toy soldiers ;)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Is that true for all the armies Ferny? Hopefully not just ours! Have to say I've found it helpful playing other armies as well, lets you see things from a different angle sometimes. I've also recently being reading through old threads on The Daemonic Legion. The one about World Dragon was especially interesting!

The old ETC threads on TWF took no prisoners. I wonder if that approach has carried over to the 9th Age forum at all?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Well, I did think it was if not unique to HE then certainly a speciality of ours (but I'm heavily biased because I read almost everything for HE but very little in other bits of the site)...but having dropped in on a DE thread recently - wow - we're not unique :wink: . I suspect it's widespread throughout the race specific sub-forums given the nature of the game development.

It's also interesting that they only have relatively few global moderators, with each army sub-section being modded by volunteers (usually ABC or AS, who both have other more primary roles IMO) from that sub-forum, so there's probably not a universal standard of modding across the boards...although maybe I malign the mod team and they co-ordinate more than us basic users can tell.

RE: TWF - I suspect I wouldn't enjoy that atmosphere much. In the latest sneak peak thread for example I've skipped over most posts from certain users, I just know they'll be contributing nothing or the same tripe regurgitated, re-heated and directed with more venom. I quite enjoy a good dust-up when things are civil and constructive between experienced contributers - I thought most of the debate I read on here RE: whether MSU was a competitive option at the highest level *and why* was a good example of this - but when the debate gets personal, circular, uninformed etc then I just get frustrated and lose interest. It's funny how much an internet forum can have a 'culture'.

But as I say, I reckon it'll settle down somewhat once there's a stable rule-set...

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ferny wrote:Well, I did think it was if not unique to HE then certainly a speciality of ours (but I'm heavily biased because I read almost everything for HE but very little in other bits of the site)...but having dropped in on a DE thread recently - wow - we're not unique :wink: . I suspect it's widespread throughout the race specific sub-forums given the nature of the game development.
It's also simply human nature. We (generalizing a lot here of course) tend to take credit when things go well and blame external factors when they don't. It's a bit like some research I once came across where 75% of parents consider their own kids to be well behaved but about the same number of parents consider kids of other parents to be misbehaved and rude.

Same applies here. If I win a game then it's because I play well. But if I lose then obviously the other book is stronger. Add to that that people tend to have a personal connection with their army (since they usually spend a lot of time building / painting / playing with it). And so they like to get shiny new stuff and be the best. And then you can easily get people fighting for their army or complaining about how overpowered the other army is or how underpowered we are.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.