First US 9th GT siege at the tower

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Cealyne

First US 9th GT siege at the tower

#1 Post by Cealyne »

Well, 2 weeks back I was able to attend the first US GT for the 9th age. It was in Columbus,Ohio. The name of the event was Siege at the tower. Some very strong players from the mid western US where present. A couple US masters if I believe I'm correct. Anyway, it was a 2 day 5 game event with 34 players total. The link below explains the results.

http://warscore.net/event/243/view.html ... 0117215956

( hope that works... )

Anyway, I placed just out of top 10, I was 11th. I was originally 10th but a last minute fix of some points due to the organizer missing the bonus points for a list being turned in on time by another player dropped me to 11th. If the link worked I was very close to the 5 players above me. If I had a fully painted army and scored decent ( 15-20 outta 25 ) I would have placed higher. I had 5/25 points for painting. Anyway, it was a great event and had 5 enjoyable games. The rules are fairly balanced, minor issues. I feel overall HBE are a bit under powered and a solid middle of the pact. I'll be honest and say the US environment of gaming is a ways different than Europe. Many things I have seen saying MSU and flying circus to be strongest builds I have to disagree with state side. There were 3 HBE in attendance, all had similarities. Mostly MMU/combined arms style lists. Anyway, I've rattled on about mostly nothing just thoughts on a forum. My list was as follows...

Prince: loremaster honor, GW, heavy armor, lion fur, dispel scroll, 4+ regen, dragon helm ( he carved a bloody path is so much! Thankful for the return of combat caster prince! )

Commander: bsb, high warden honor, heavy armor, lion fur, hardened shield, sword of strength, duckstone ( this guy was a tank! 2+ rerollable armor save and a 4+ ward... On foot!!! )

2x 5 reavers - 1 unit with bows
10 lancers - full command
15 archers - music, standard= banner of becalming ( allows unit to channel and gives all HBE +1 to dispel )

2x coastal reaper - repeating upgrade
Lion chariot
6 Knights of ryma- full command, banner of courage, devastating charge upgrade
21 swordmasters- music, standard= rending banner
25 lion guard- full command, warbanner of ryma

So...
Game 1: combat vamps knight bus army- 2-24 loss, all kinds of bad. I was actually severely hungover and had a splitting headache, made bad choices.
Game 2: all wrath deamon army- 23-1 victory. Yeah, my lion guard and characters killed 75% of his army
Game 3: lizzardmen- 13-17 loss. Yeah, they are tough. Lots of crappy units, hero on a Dino is so rock hard
Game 4: undying dynasties-24-2 victory. He made some major errors and I capitalized.
Game 5: all pestilence deamon army- 25-1 victory. Disputes the victory, I started really shakey when both my units of Knights couldn't kill a unit of 3 beasts. This army had 2 hordes of 40 tally men... Gross! A big mistake my opponent made was not challenging his greater demon against my general or bsb. So my lion guard were able to MW2 him to death. Was a fun game though.

Any questions feel free to ask. I will be attending the second 9th age GT the first weekend of March with a modified list.
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: First US 9th GT siege at the tower

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for this Cealyne and well played!
Cealyne wrote:I'll be honest and say the US environment of gaming is a ways different than Europe.
This comes across from your list. It has shooting, it has some faster elements but basically it's an offensive infantry list. I take it you feel this is a promising build against the opponents you're facing?
Cealyne wrote: 4+ regen
This I like and haven't seen before on the loremaster. It might not have been enough but combined with -1 to be hit looks fine to me.
Cealyne wrote:Yeah, my lion guard and characters killed 75% of his army
Did you find that how you did depended a fair bit on getting that main block into something juicy?
Cealyne wrote:I started really shakey when both my units of Knights couldn't kill a unit of 3 beasts.
Beasts still look hardcore to me. A bit toned down but 'strong' now rather than 'broken'.
Cealyne

#3 Post by Cealyne »

SpellArcher wrote:Thanks for this Cealyne and well played!
Cealyne wrote:I'll be honest and say the US environment of gaming is a ways different than Europe.
This comes across from your list. It has shooting, it has some faster elements but basically it's an offensive infantry list. I take it you feel this is a promising build against the opponents you're facing?
At the moment yes and no. The vast majority of lists seemed combat infantry oriented so my list fit right in. HBE can still rock on in combat. There was a few monster mash heros and lords on carnos and manticores but not many to be feared. I did feel my shooting wasn't enough in my list. My new list for an event I am attending in March is gonna be a little bit different.
Cealyne wrote: 4+ regen
This I like and haven't seen before on the loremaster. It might not have been enough but combined with -1 to be hit looks fine to me.
He also has a 3+ armor. 3+ armor, 4+ regen and -1 to hit with a GW hitting on 2's is great. If I managed blizzard off on my opponents then I went +1 to hit! Oh, I also had dragon helm so I had a nice 2+ ward against fire.
Cealyne wrote:Yeah, my lion guard and characters killed 75% of his army
Did you find that how you did depended a fair bit on getting that main block into something juicy?
I found out that this unit with characters did well no matter what. I had numbers and buffs to help me out. The multiple wounds was great but only got to use it against skullcrushers and the papa nurgle.
Often I was able to use my reavers to block what I needed held up in time for these guys to stomp face.
Cealyne wrote:I started really shakey when both my units of Knights couldn't kill a unit of 3 beasts.
Beasts still look hardcore to me. A bit toned down but 'strong' now rather than 'broken'.
Yeah, toughness 5, 4+ regen and no flank or rear bonus is nutty. 3 for 210 points! They held up 500+ points in turn to get slaughtered.
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Cealyne

#4 Post by Cealyne »

Haha! I forgot to bracket last post @spellarcher. Sorry.
Cold Phoenix

#5 Post by Cold Phoenix »

I really like the your Prince build, survivable, 8 spells and a good combat character. Just out of interest, have you noticed that BSBs can now take up to 50 points of Magic Items and Magic Banners or a magic banner worth 50+ points? It's a really nice change from 8th and allows you to do things like this Commander: bsb, high warden honor, heavy armor, lion fur, hardened shield, Kingslayer Sword (Sword of Antiheroes), Icon of the Relentless Company. I took that build to a 6 game tournament and found the ability to march 15" turn 1 really useful, as it allowed my Lion Guard to get into combat a turn earlier.
Cealyne

#6 Post by Cealyne »

Cold Phoenix wrote:I really like the your Prince build, survivable, 8 spells and a good combat character. Just out of interest, have you noticed that BSBs can now take up to 50 points of Magic Items and Magic Banners or a magic banner worth 50+ points? It's a really nice change from 8th and allows you to do things like this Commander: bsb, high warden honor, heavy armor, lion fur, hardened shield, Kingslayer Sword (Sword of Antiheroes), Icon of the Relentless Company. I took that build to a 6 game tournament and found the ability to march 15" turn 1 really useful, as it allowed my Lion Guard to get into combat a turn earlier.

@coldphoenix
Yes i have noticed that. I have been messing around with that idea myself. Although it has been with the flaming standard. The relentless icon seems a good idea as well. Recently I was thinking of banner of becalming on him. That would allow my core unit a different banner to play around with. The prince is very survivable. Backed with the attribute from life, he is ace. I found all my combat buffs to be very good. Except, I couldn't get a single beast within spell cast the entire event. I was trying on 3 dice too. Getting 9+ on three dice shouldn't be hard. But I did roll triple 6' casting a middle fireball. Then rolled another 6 for the d3. Then rolled... Wait for it... Double 1's for hits. I was unhappy. Lol
Cold Phoenix

#7 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Cealyne wrote:
Cold Phoenix wrote:I really like the your Prince build, survivable, 8 spells and a good combat character. Just out of interest, have you noticed that BSBs can now take up to 50 points of Magic Items and Magic Banners or a magic banner worth 50+ points? It's a really nice change from 8th and allows you to do things like this Commander: bsb, high warden honor, heavy armor, lion fur, hardened shield, Kingslayer Sword (Sword of Antiheroes), Icon of the Relentless Company. I took that build to a 6 game tournament and found the ability to march 15" turn 1 really useful, as it allowed my Lion Guard to get into combat a turn earlier.

@coldphoenix
Yes i have noticed that. I have been messing around with that idea myself. Although it has been with the flaming standard. The relentless icon seems a good idea as well. Recently I was thinking of banner of becalming on him. That would allow my core unit a different banner to play around with. The prince is very survivable. Backed with the attribute from life, he is ace. I found all my combat buffs to be very good. Except, I couldn't get a single beast within spell cast the entire event. I was trying on 3 dice too. Getting 9+ on three dice shouldn't be hard. But I did roll triple 6' casting a middle fireball. Then rolled another 6 for the d3. Then rolled... Wait for it... Double 1's for hits. I was unhappy. Lol
Not quite sure about the banner of becalming. I can see the attractions of being able to take a different banner on a core unit, but having only 25 points left for the BSB's gear is unappealing. As for dice, what can you do? There are always going to be cases were the dice betray you :evil: . On the other hand there will be good times when the dice decide to rescue you form certain defeat :).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Cealyne wrote:Haha! I forgot to bracket last post @spellarcher. Sorry.
It's a fiddly business!
Cealyne wrote:Yeah, toughness 5, 4+ regen and no flank or rear bonus is nutty. 3 for 210 points! They held up 500+ points in turn to get slaughtered.
Especially when you consider in 8th it's 180pts and -1 to be hit also! You can carve your way through Beasts but rarely quickly, they have four wounds each for a start.