TCW Doubles Championships 2015

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

TCW Doubles Championships 2015

#1 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'll be giving 9th Age a while at the end of the month in a doubles event with a club mate running Sylvan Elves.
I of course will be running my Highborn Elves, Johnny will be rocking a tree spirit list, mine is a lot more balanced.
Just thought I'd share my list with you lads, I couldn't see the old lists section:

Archmage lvl4 Dispel Scroll.
High Captain: BSB, Barded Horse, Dragonforged Armour,
Hardened Shield, Dusk Stone, Sword of Strength.

Elven Heavy Cav: 9x Barding. Musician, Standard.
Elven Light Cav: x5

Shadow Watchers: x5 XHW.
Coast Guard Reaper: Repeating shot.
Coast Guard Reaper: Repeating shot.

Queen's Guard: x14 Spears. Musician, Standard.

I do like that I can use my pretty, old Maiden Guard again.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: TCW Doubles Championships 2015

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Shadow Watchers: x5 XHW.
Like WE scouts but cheaper.

=D>
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I've been using Shadow Warriors for years, and now they can have an extra attack, and poison shots they are cool!
Poison does go against their fluff though, it's a despised weapon used by Druchii.
Have I mentioned loving being able to use my Maiden Guard yet? Gorgeous models, painted pretty.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Have I mentioned loving being able to use my Maiden Guard yet? Gorgeous models, painted pretty.
you did ;) I do think you haven't posted nearly enough pictures of all your (new?) models in your plog. Looking forward to some updates there

And of course, Shadow Warriors were always cool, what changed is that now they're also useful ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#5 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

you guys haven't seen my Maiden Guard yet? Wow, I best post an image post haste.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#6 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Here's my list:
The Everqueen will probably play the part of the lvl4 Archmage, no one else looks right in that unit ^_^

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:you guys haven't seen my Maiden Guard yet? Wow, I best post an image post haste.
Well, to be fair, I might have also missed them / forgotten about them. With 2256 posts and counting your plog is a bit on the long side... I don't have an exact recollection of everything that's in it. Maybe you should start working on an index ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#8 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

yea, I did start working on a index, but wow, there is just so much!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Your own fault :p Who writes 76 pages full of tabletop wargaming stuff...

You should do as the rest of us do. Pick a single system, stick to that and procrastinate about getting everything assembled and painted as much as possible. That's what I do and it has left me with an easily manageable plog of 8 pages ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#10 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

So many cool games, I can't stop. Heh you can see some of the Rivendell Elves I was painting before I stopped to focus on the SS model in that army shot hey.
Well you can at least see Erestor, and Elrond, most of Glorfy is there too. I have an Infinity tournament in a couple of weeks and have to paint a model up for it too now.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm just jealous (sorry for derailing this topic by the way...). I would love to start LoTR (the hobbit now I guess) for instance, or have time for a few of the other games you have going. But I don't. And I'm seriously lacking opponents for any of them (even finding WH opponents is tough here). If I had a gaming group who played LoTR on a regular basis I would start if in a heartbeat.

It's now just waiting for New-Line cinema to realize that there's a lot of very epic stuff in the silmarillion. Though they would be hard pressed to even fit everything in a trilogie (especially considering what they did to the Hobbit). Perhaps they should team up with HBO and just for a series running several seasons Game of Thrones style.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#12 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The family are holding the rights to the Silmarillion very tightly, LotR/Hobbit is a cool system.
I'll be sure to take photos at tomorrow's event.
sparkytrypod

#13 Post by sparkytrypod »

ah god, the first film of a silmarillion trilogy would just have to be eru and the lads singing on a black screen/the void with a pinprick of light getting bigger and bigger!

i love it!

sorry to further derail!
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

If they could do it like the first LOTR film and avoid too much computer generated stuff it would be beyond awesome.
Giladis
The Merlord

#15 Post by Giladis »

Silmarilion done by Ridley Scott would be amazing.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

How did the event go?
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:The family are holding the rights to the Silmarillion very tightly, LotR/Hobbit is a cool system.
I'm curious if their mindset will change in the coming years. Assuming that the copyright lies with J.R.R. Tolkien, then it's set to expire in 2043. While that's still a fair bit away, 28 years pass fairly fast. As it gets closer, their value will drop and the chance of having any control on what is done with it decreases. Now they could still dictate a lot of the look and quality of a film or series. In 15-20 years? Not so much.

And I'd love to see it if it was anything like the first LoTR movie.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#17 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I said I'd take pictures, but maybe I was having too much fun and forgot, which a damn shame because the tables looked great, and so did the armies.
Round one I faced a Mordor list featuring a Great Beast, and a Troll, there were Orcs and a Ring Wraith too, but the Great Beast was all I could focus on ^_^
Rumil with some friends cut it down, by the end of the game, but I did lose 5-0
Round two saw my Galadhrim face more Orcs, this time on Wargs, that was a much closer game 8-4
The last round was a against a Rivendel list with Gandalf, Gwaihir and some Knights, it was a bloody battle, ending in a victory for me.

I'll try and take photos at the doubles event this weekend, it's going to be a long, brutal day, and I'm not confident in my phone lasting it, we'll see.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#18 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

My first 9th age event is done and run.
My team went okay, with some random dice rolls shifting us from either a draw or minor wins, to loses in two matches.
Round one was 8-12 against a Chaos Dwarf/Orcs force, both the dryad units were fighting the Avatar thing, a Giant, and the Orc Shaman general.
Both failed ld9 break tests on the last turn, he really needed a BSB I think.
Round two was 0-20 against Daemons/Warriors, Daemons just shot us off the table, bit block of horrors, just throwing out so many shots, it was bananas.
Round three was 9-11 against Dwarf/Bret army, it was a bloody battle, with not a whole lot left at the end.
My helms got tied up fighting Grail Knights and then a Dwarf Engineer,so couldn't take out the treb before it crushed my Maiden Guard.

Was a great day, and the 9th Age is interesting, familiar enough that it wasn't awkward to play, but with subtle changes to make it play well.
Pictures will be in my plog.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

Having too much fun to take pictures is always a good sign ;)

As for the LoTR games, are the elves there very different from WH elves? In playstyle / army composition I mean. What do you feel about the bigger emphasis on special characters in LoTR compared to WH?

The pictures in you plog looked great. Pity not all your opponents armies were painted. But there was some great looking models and battlefield in the event from what I can see. I reads like you had a bit of bad luck, mainly with matchups, in the event. Was it mainly army lists that led to the deamon loss or was it also down to the game?

Which system do you prefer, 8th or 9th? Or are they similar enough for it not to matter too much?

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#20 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

LotR/Hobbit is a totally different game, for starters, my Galadhrim are cheap, so cheap, and good even~
The whole Warbands system forces you to take heroes, I minimise their effect by taking minor heroes so I can still afford to have plenty of boots on ground.

Yea bad luck, the two minor loses were both due to dice, they could have been stacked better in our favour but we failed to capitalise.
The Daemon lose, Pink Horrors are now a shooting unit, they decimated a unit a turn, it was insane!

I played that event with one game under my belt, and there was nothing unfamiliar about it, I missed ASF, and forgot to use a lot of my new special rules, but it plays a lot like whfb does ^_^
Ielthan

#21 Post by Ielthan »

Love Lotr, play it regularly, it's definitely at it's best in story scenario mode though. Some of my best wargames ever have been the variations of Amon Hen. I've not been a fan of the hobbit releases though, particularly the rules that came with the last film, the power creep was horrendous, it's what's deterred me from attending the gbhl tournaments. Unthemed all hero armies are far too strong now. War of the Ring with Xelee's House Rules is a great game though, really fun and tactical.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ielthan wrote:War of the Ring with Xelee's House Rules is a great game though
linky?
Sounds useful :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Ielthan

#23 Post by Ielthan »

Wotr House Rules:

http://roughwotr.blogspot.de/2011/11/wa ... ion-i.html

Noldor Elves List (as out of the book elves are almost unplayable):

http://roughwotr.blogspot.de/2013/04/wo ... north.html

I've played some games with the noldor elves vs mordor, they felt pretty balanced, lots of fun. Glorfindel is the answer to all life's problems.