How about... Loremasters on Eagles?

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Sahlor

How about... Loremasters on Eagles?

#1 Post by Sahlor »

An introduction to how this occured to me: last week I played my first 8th edition game, with an Island of Blood army vs Dwarfs. It was a fun game, but an overwhelming defeat. Obviously I hate quarrelers now, and the short beardies are my nemesis for the time being :p
My Noble on a Griffon got one shoted in the first round, since I had him charge straight for the cannon. Turns out a Charmed Shield doesn't work on a split profile Monster, I learned this rule the hard way. I had seen this trick on a bretonian noble riding a pegasus, but failed to see the difference between Monsters and Monstrous Beasts xD .

This made me think that next time maybe I should make the noble fly on a great eagle, if I really need a swift and strong warmachine hunter. He still would be pretty vulnerable though, with no magic to protect him, and this is when it hit me: the perfect way to fix this issue would be to allow Loremasters to ride on Great Eagles, just like the Annointed ride Phoenixes. It would fill many different purposes!

1: this would be a great excuse for GW to introduce a new GE model, so we can stop buying the Hobbit Eagles

2: it would encourage us to finally use GE as mounts, and even the LoH would see some love from that. Having a melee killer machine riding an eagle, that can even cause some serious damage with spells from the flanks and the rear of the enemy, would increase the possibilities for army compositions and tactics. I know that LoH are played, I just think in this role they would be truly unique

3: it would be very thematic. Just as the PG have the Phoenixes as their signature mounts, the Wizards of Saphery are somewhat associated with GE (in the 8th edition HE armybook is an illustration of SoH, and in the background is maybe the only picture of a HE mage riding a GE, page 23). Also, imagine how awesome it would be to have the enemies shoot a perfect cannon ball at the eagle, just to have the freakin thing cut in half by the jedi-like Asur on its back. 6+ ward is unreliable, true, but damn you can not deny, that would be epic!

Give him the 2+ ward crown of Atrazar, say something like "Loremasters train their Eagles from eggs, so the bond between them is strong, some even claim magical. The grace of these two comrads in flight is unmatched, even by other guardians of Saphery, and when the enemy archers finally manage to target, it is too late for them to take the shot. Loremasters on top of Eagles have a 5+ ward save against all non magical shooting attacks", and you have a great addition to the HE roster, thematic, unique, and glorious! At least I think so :p
What do you guys/gals think about it?
(I know that Fantasy is "dead" for now, but you never know. I have hopes for the future ^^ )
Last edited by Sahlor on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: How about... Loremasters on Eagles?

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice concept Sahlor!
Sahlor wrote:I know that Fantasy is "dead" for now
There is so much going on. 8th is being played a lot and AoS, 9th Age and Kings of War for example are also very busy.
Sahlor

Re: How about... Loremasters on Eagles?

#3 Post by Sahlor »

SpellArcher wrote:Nice concept Sahlor!

There is so much going on. 8th is being played a lot and AoS, 9th Age and Kings of War for example are also very busy.
Thnx man. I know, Fantasy will never die as long as we love it, there are just nay-sayers everywhere and I didn't want to leave an opening ^^