Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Learning Curve
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm 
Green Istari

I feel your opponent’s army (whether in 9th Age, 8th edition, 7th etc) is powerful but it doesn’t cope well with bad combat dice. Whereas your list 20phoenix seemed to have enough about it to regroup and win through. Would you change much about how you approached the game?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 pm 

I'm still undecided about divine icon v charm of Cursed Iron on prince and the BSB loadout - ToSS seems better overall but that one turn of 1+ 5++ is great for tanking stuff for a turn.

I was happy with deployment but I think I rushed into combat a turn early. I could have stood off for another turn giving me another turn of magic and shooting. I misplayed my right most sloop, putting him round a building to get a shooting angle but trapping myself in the process. In the end I had to sacrifice it in a way that kept two of his units away from the fight for most the game. In that respect I'm happy.

This felt like a good match up for me and we are planning on replaying it although he's dropping his wrath priest for a two spell alchemy sorceror

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 pm 
Green Istari

20phoenix wrote:
I could have stood off for another turn giving me another turn of magic and shooting.

Often a good idea when you are stronger at range. There are exceptions of course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm 

Been a bit quiet recently due to holiday and the Blood Bowl Euros. Had four more games using the dragon list and it's done pretty well, tabling SE and EoS (rookie player), tabled by DL (top ranked in UK) and a close 11-9 loss to KoE on objective. It seems to lack something to deal with secondary objectives so I'm looking at tweaking it a little bit.

The changes i'm considering:
Dropping the Giant Sword and Charm of Cursed Iron for GW, Divine Icon and BoE on Prince
Dropping SGR and 5 spears for 9 QG and musician
Dropping one lancer dart, 2 SMs and 2 spears for 2 X reavers (at least one with champ, can't decide between bows and second champion)

Will be trying them out to see how they do.

On another note I'll be popping my tournament cherry after Christmas! There's a 4k tournament in MK which is ideally timed during the Xmas break. Not your average tournament - one day, custom objectives and TPs for taking lesser used units (or a dragon :D). HbE units include Flame Wardens, Reaver Chariot, Griffon Chars and Grey Watchers. I'm trying to get my list sorted early so I know what I need to get painted. Im not sure how much of the bonus stuff I'll take as GW and reavers are weak, FW are not strong enough for the first objective (TP for oppo killed rather than point difference). The griffon may make it in as BSB but would have to sacrifice magic if he's going alongside a dragon. I'll post some options soon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:43 pm 
Green Istari

20phoenix wrote:
Dropping the Giant Sword and Charm of Cursed Iron for GW, Divine Icon and BoE on Prince

Not finding the S7 that important?

20phoenix wrote:
On another note I'll be popping my tournament cherry after Christmas!

Have a great time! If the 9th Age scene is continuing the long-established Warhammer vibe, it should be a good experience.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

I personally wouldn't go with BoE (assuming Bow of Elu here) on the dragon. His whole purpose is to end up in combat and kick some serious ass when being in combat. Going for a shooting weapon is kind of the opposite to that. It's a nice choice, but you will either not shoot a lot and in which case it's better to spend the points on something else. Or you will be shooting, in which case the dragon isn't all that useful and you'd be better of spending those 500+ points on something else.

You did find out the weakness of the dragon. He's very good at combat. But he can only be in one place at a time. And with his points cost he ends up being the focal point of the army, which means the rest is mainly there to support him. Which makes it more difficult to claim secondary objectives.

Enjoy the tournament! And let us know how it went. It should be fun. Getting in a room full of WH players is always great.

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104