Dragon/Lion Rampant

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aerendar Valandil

Dragon/Lion Rampant

#1 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Hi all,

Just played a game of Lion Rampant, one of the several very simple Osprey Wargames of Daniel Mersey.

Dragon (Fantasy) and Lion ('Historical') Rampant are two very similar games based on the same system of 'big skirmishes'. You need a 40-60 figures, of which the man sized conisis of 6 or 12 models. Bigger models (such as charoits or, in fantasy, monsters) are included by counting 'hits' insteda of models. Like, a unit of 12 vikings is 12 models strong, a dragon is one figure with 12 'hits''. Simple movement. simple combat, simple magic (in DR) and a duel system (in LR).

It was a fun game. My opponents general had a special feature which made him more difficult to hit in duels, and he selectal all his 'boasts' (a kind of chosen victory condition) int killing my general. Of course I avoided that duel as best as I could (as his general was zo difficult to hit), but at the cost of several units fleeing because of failing morale. Whe I had only a few units left, I accepted - and killed his general. Upon which HIS units fled.

A very narrow win.

Nice, swingy and fast, very beer and pretzel. Cheap, model agnostic, a great buy.
Csjarrat

Re: Dragon/Lion Rampant

#2 Post by Csjarrat »

I really like the osprey games, played a lot of "the men who would be kings" and that's great. Really clearly written and easy to pick up
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Aerendar Valandil

Re: Dragon/Lion Rampant

#3 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Yep, I play TMWWBK too, and tried Rebels&Patriots.