New Fantasy War Game in Development

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rajmahal

New Fantasy War Game in Development

#1 Post by Rajmahal »

Hi guys,

As promised, here is a thread to you a preview of the new fantasy wargame rules I'm working on. They are based on a heavily modified version of Armies of Arcana that my group have been playing for the past 2 games. The core foundations of the rules are very well balanced, but to be honest, I've changed so much in this version that these rules are still in a very early stage.

Here are some highlights of the game:

* Heavy focus on formations ~ all units can freely change between 2 or 3 formations and this greatly impacts their fighting ability. Some formations are strong against cavalry but weak against artillery and visa versa.

* Very well balanced army lists as costs for all units are calculated using a universal formula.

* Flexible army design with lots of army lists included and a creation formula that allows you to create your own units.

* Melee and missile fire effectiveness is heavily dependent on skill rather than just strength.

* Balanced magic rules that build up gradually and are reliable and not chaotic.

Okay, here is a link to a very early stage rulebook that you are free to read. When I do finally release the rules, I'll likely sell them but those of you who provide feedback will get a copy of the finished rules for free. You'll notice many pages are left blank ... these are place holders for a background story for the game setting that I and several others are still working on.

Box.com Link:
https://app.box.com/s/qsv6vvmghusn4h8zqnx4

Both links go to the same file. Some people had trouble with skydrive so I put the file on box as well. The file is large so please be patient though the actual rules are only around 30 pages. Most of it are the many pages of spell lists and army lists.

Here are some pictures of some sample pages for anyone who doesn't want to download the large file but would be willing to give feedback on layout:

Sample Page 1 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Sample Page 2 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Sample Page 3 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Sample Page 5 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Sample Page 4 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

This game is just a labour of love for me so I'm not a professional writer or graphics design person. My day job is in IT. Therefore, I would welcome any and all constructive criticism. Hope you enjoy!
Last edited by Rajmahal on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk-ng

Re: New Fantasy War Game in Development

#2 Post by pk-ng »

I believe the file is corrupted? I've downloaded it 3 times and it can't open it :(
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Rajmahal

#3 Post by Rajmahal »

That's strange ... did you use the Skydrive link or Box.com link?

If you're using the Skydrive link, you have to right click on the file and select download. If you just left click on it, it tries to open it using Word Web Aps within the browser and you get an error.
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

Any updates on this Raj?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Rajmahal

#5 Post by Rajmahal »

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay in response. I've actually been pulled into another project. Right now, I'm working on a turn-based computer game that is kind of like a mix of diablo and Mordhiem. As such, the wargame project was put on a back burner. However, I will be getting back to it this month. My regular gaming buddy just had his first kid and so has been unable to game lately and so I've not had much opportunity to playtest. However, I should be having some games this month and then I'll work on an update.
Joe Skine

#6 Post by Joe Skine »

Hi Rajmahal,

I'm interested in the new adaptation on the AoA ruleset you were working about a year ago.
Seemed to me it went a long way to avoid 'cheesing' of the CCF ;)
although the original was already a solid base (certainly compared to WFB lists).

I see you're working on a videogame now, but I'm hoping you'd still release the ruleset. :)
I've only just now found out about this project and thread, so the link to the box.com file has expired.
Any chance you'd be willing to share again?

Thanks

Joe

PS: I'd be pay for the eventual book.
Rajmahal

#7 Post by Rajmahal »

Hey,

I'll definitely still release an update for this project. Just being pulled in too many different directions at once right now. No time frame though but I do intend to do something on this in the next month.
Rajmahal

#8 Post by Rajmahal »

Hi guys ... this project has been on the back burner for some time as I've been focussing on my video game project. However, after the god-awful Age of Sigmar rules, I think I really need to get off my butt and finish these rules.

If anyone is looking for a good alternative version of warhammer that has all the fantasy army lists and decent rules that require some tactics and thought to use for their warhammer collection, just have a read of the rules and let me know your thoughts. I will try my best to get these in a completed and playable state by the end of this month.