Space Wolves info inside.

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

WarpPhoenix

Space Wolves info inside.

#1 Post by WarpPhoenix »

So. Today I got an inside look into the new Space Wolves codex, its a damn good codex might I add too. I wasnt playing 40k when Space Wolves was a major army and so I dont know much about the old book so forgive me if I state anything that has just been kept from the old book. I didnt get a chance to look at the back into the army list section but I know all the special rules for the current units.

First off as a start all Space Wolves have Accute senses (they can reroll the dice when checking to see people in night fighting rules) and they all have Counter-charge. Meaning that if they're charge it counts as the Space Wolves models are charging back at the same time and both sides get bonuses for charging.

Lets start with the line of basic marines. Basic Marines (or less than basic) are WS 3 and BS 3, I think these are young blood or something or other. They have a rule called Bezerk Charge (or something like that) that gives them +2 attacks on the charge instead of just +1, they also have a rule in place called Headstrong that makes it so if they're within 6" of an enemy unit after movement they cant shoot them as they're too busy getting to rip their faces off, so basically if you can charge them you shouldnt have been able to shoot them. There is an exception of course, if you have a character (HQ) in the unit then they can still fire at the unit.

These WS 3 marines come in 3 forms, basic infantry, Jump infantry (got jump packs) and on bikes.

The Space Wolves scouts are WS 4 and BS 4 and have a rule that when they outflank they go to the right side on a 1, the left side on a 2 and 3-6 the player chooses, making it the best outflank in the game.

The Space Wolves have their normal marines who are the basic statline with army rules included and I dont know their specific weapon options, sorry.

Longfangs now have a rule to combat the Signum of the Space Marines. If you do not fire with the Seargent then your Longfang unit (devestators) can shoot at two different targets at once, meaning you can have 2 lascannons and 2 heavy bolters and fire the cannons at the tanks and the heavies at the infantry. Very useful and it makes Longfangs really flexible as a unit.

There is a Lone Wolf unit. The Lone Wolf unit has a single Marine in it that has 2 wounds, I 5, 3 or 4 attacks, WS 5 and a few other statline bonuses. This lone wolf is Eternal Warrior, he is supposed to be the last member of his respective pack left and seeks death to end the glory of his pack. Not onyl does this Loen Wolf have Eternal Warrior but it also has Feel No Pain. The Lone Wolf will also reroll hits on the following things: Walkers, monsterous Creatures or anything with toughness 5 or above. I flicked to the back after this and saw that he costs 20 points and is Elite. He has a lot of optiosn for gear and I am sure that yes a powerfist is one of them. Making this guy a walking talking walker ass kickery machine. Oh but theres a catch, your opponent will not get a kill point if they kill this guy, however they will get one if he survives the whole battle so you're in quite a bind as to weither to let him loose and get a kill point or to kill him and stop HIM from getting kill points of his own.

There are 8 special characters, all of them very unique and very well suited for space wolves. Luskar or whatever his name is the trickster marine has a Stasis bomb in his chest and when he dies anyone in base to base contact with him is stuck in stasis as a result and removed from the table.

The Librarian special powers as you read them seem very reasonable, unit you get to the very last one and then your jaw drops, they have some good shooting attacks, some AP 2 STR4 that causes a morale check even if it causes 1 wound and a couple more that are nice to have around, but the one that sticks out is the last one that takes the place of the space marine Vortex of Doom.

Draw a straight line from the Librarian 24" long. Anything caught in this line takes an initiatve test or is removed from play. Monsterous creatures get -1 to their result for being so big so it makes a carnefex not die on a 2 (instead on a 3). Instead of a pyschic hood they have a staff that negates spells on a 4+ (much better) but still no Invulne save to cover their asses apart from the 5+ they get from their powers. Space Wolf Librarians do not have Gate of Infinity or anything like it.

Something that caught my eye is the combination of 2 character combos. There is a character that gives the unti he is in +D3 attacks on the charge isntead of the normal +1 and a character that gives +1 attack to any friendly within 18". Combo these with terminators (who work liek chaos ones btw, 3-20 and you pick each terminators equipment individually) and you have a terminator unit that will blow lots of this out of the water. Oh and terminators seagents have stat increases rather than just the attack increase, a Spave Wolf terminator seargent has WS 5 and I 5 as well as 3 attacks basic.

I hope this helps anyone who hasnt seen any/all the ruels for the new Space Wolves, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to remember as best I can as im sure ive missed things out that I know so job my memory if you want to!

EDIT: Just looking around the net and looking at old rumors and stuff like that I thought id straighten them out before people ask or dont ask because they think they know.

Bjorn (Special character dred) is NOT 14 all around. He has 13, 12, 10. He is not even better than an ironclad in that respect. On a side note SWs dont have Ironclad dreds. He has WS and BS 6, Initiative 3 only. 4 attacks and is venerable. He also has a 5+ invuln save making him the only drednaught with one. One of the funny things that happens is when you get a destroyed result. Fjorn becomes an objective! he is worth D3 extra kill points if you recapture Fjorn or if the enemy captures him they get D3 or in an objective game it suddenly becomes a new objective! A great twist and seems like an awesome thing to have.

You can take a Thunderhammer and Storm shield, the Terminator box comes with only 4 shields and 4 hamemrs though. They seem to be encouraging you to mix up the units. The lightning claws of the space wolves can choose to reroll EITHER to hit or to wound in the same combat! The Rune priest gives its unit Preffered enemy so you can mix those two and reroll a lot of things!

Its true there are no Leman Russ tanks.

There are only 2 new plastic boxes. A unit of Space Wolves which you can make ANY of the infantry variants, this box will be the default for anything you want to make and has waaaaaaay too many spare parts and such will probably cost quite a penny, but goddamn its worth it because you cant actually buy spave wolf specific jump packs or bikes so if you want either of those then you'll need to get a box of space wolves stuff and then with all the extra things you can mod your other box to be more wolfie. The Terminator box has a hell of a lot of options, there are 4 hammers, 4 shields, 4 sets of claws, an Assault cannon, heavy flamer, 4 power weapons (two are axes, two are swords), 2 chain fists, 3-4 powerfists all in different states (there is a clenched one that looks amazing). There is no cyclone missile launcher in the sprue but there is the option to have one in the book *shrugs*.

There are Wolves. Actual Wolves. There is a unti of wolves that leadership 5, have 2 attacks and are S/T 4. They run as a pack and are pretty useful cos they're cheap-ish. There is then a Rideable wolf that isnt a special character where the Rider can have a power weapon and the thing shares a single statline, S/T 5 with like 5 attacks and I 5 and WS 5. Space Wolves seem to just do combat a hell of a lot better than any other Chapter, Not only do they do it better but they're devestator units are more flexible and they have also been given access to all the new types of land raider. Space Wovles can not have a tornado, or one of the speeder veriants D:

I didnt see ANY attack bikes, although they are probably in there somewhere. There are lot of special rules to know and impliment when you get into combat.

All in all Space Wolves got an injection of cool.
Last edited by WarpPhoenix on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
grantmepower

Re: Space Wolves info inside.

#2 Post by grantmepower »

Pretty epic sounding! Looking forward to their release.
~Grant
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
DarkTyrany22

Re: Space Wolves info inside.

#3 Post by DarkTyrany22 »

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212260

The "attack bikes" are wolf riding marines. Battle Leaders and Wolf Lords can also ride wolves.

Also, Lukas the Trickster isn't a special character really, but rather a Blood Claw (what you call the basic marines) upgrade.

Wolf Scouts were already the best outflankers too I believe.

Longfangs could always target multiple units, and I'm not even sure the Sergeant had to give up his shots to do it.

But yeah, tons more information in the Warseer thread.
Jyrus Yenlukhaesrath, High Prince of Tiranoc - 211 Slain; 26/4/6
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/drtjuu.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg1-2z7vn.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/vacfvv.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/b4vh6w.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/phoemze6.gif[/img]