Eldar 1500 points

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Meif

Eldar 1500 points

#1 Post by Meif »

Farseer Meifdrad Farsighted (HQ) @ 115 Pts
+Witchblade; Shuriken Pistol
+Ghosthelm
+Jetbike
+Runes of Witnessing
+Guide

5 Fire Dragons (Elites) @ 113 Pts
+Exarch w/Dragon's Breath Flamer & Crack Shot

5 Fire Dragons (Elites) @ 108 Pts
+Exarch w/Dragon's Breath Flamer

9 Dire Avengers (Troops) @ 307 Pts
+Exarch w/2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults & Bladestorm
+Wave Serpent @ [155] Pts
+Shuriken Cannon Upgrade
+Linked Scatter Lasers
+Vectored Engines
+Spirit Stones

3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron (Troops) @ 76 Pts
+Shuriken Cannon (x1)

+Shuriken Cannon (x1)

+Shuriken Cannon (x1)

4 Warp Spiders (Fast Attack) @ 127 Pts
+Exarch w/Spinneret Rifle

5 Warp Spiders (Fast Attack) @ 110 Pts

Falcon "Loec's Laughter" (Heavy Support) @ 195 Pts
+Scatter Laser & Pulse Laser
+Holo-fields
+Vectored Engines
+Spirit Stones

Falcon "Blade of Khaine" (Heavy Support) @ 195 Pts
+Holo-fields
+Vectored Engines
+Spirit Stones

Models in Army: 45
Total Army Cost: 1498

++

The main function of the farseer is to fly around, guiding units. I tried to keep him as cheap as possible. Other units fly around and shoot stuff. I'm not a fan of close combat in 40k and it kinda shows on this list. Jetbikes do jetbikey stuffs.

Any thoughts? :o
Last edited by Meif on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
And Finns a tad more masculine.[/quote]
Spider_wells

#2 Post by Spider_wells »

In 5th ed 40K it's really important that you have mobility and the ability to capture objectives, which is something I really like about this army, it's fast moving and has plenty of scoring units.

However, I am slightly worried about the number of kill points. I'm not sure why your going for two units of 5 spiders, as one unit of 10 would do the same but with more resilience and less kill points.

To be honest, I'm not massively sure why you've gone for Warp Spiders anyway, there are good but you have the ability to mow down enemy infantry covered with the Jetbikes, Dire Avengers and twin-linked Dragon's breath flamers.

I would perhaps suggest Shining Spears instead, as they are a very potent combat unit with a short ranged bite. Strength 6 power weapons going before marines means that you can dart into smaller enemy units and take them out before they can hit back. It gives your army that bit of CC bite it needs (I know you don't like CC but it is useful when it comes to shifting certain enemies or if your playing against an army with loads of firepower). they have a great short ranged bite, can include a BS 5 shruiken cannon and would make an effective bodyguard for the Farseer.

Also, consider upgrading that Farseer a bit, as you haven't really taken advantage of him completely. Doom is a great power which will seriously augment the Dire Avengers, and make it much easier to wipe out any really irritating unit.

So yeah, I'd go for Shining Spears as they are a great CC unit, rather than the Warp Spiders, at the very least put the Spiders together in one unit.

Hope I helped.
[img]http://i26.tinypic.com/ogmfc8.jpg[/img]
Meif

#3 Post by Meif »

I did wonder about giving Doom to Farseer. Warp Spiders are perhaps the most flexible aspect warrior unit there is. They take down infantry, vehicles and if things get heavy can charge smaller units. They are a bit like tau crisis suits, they just can die while hopping back to shelter.

I did think of one big unit but two units are more flexible and that's what eldar is about. I can do spider stuff on both sides of the table.

Shining Spears are the unit I like the least in the codex. They're kinda costy and after the first charge they're kinda dead. They don't have a lot of attacks either and they hit space marines and necrons on 4+ which kinda sucks as well. Against ws3 troops their s6 power weapons are kinda wasted. Besides this is 40k, not fb :P, the idea of knights is kinda strange to me.

But thanks for the tips anyways :) .
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
Zakath2

#4 Post by Zakath2 »

Just a quicky, I'll reply again later when I have more time:

You're right about both Shining Spears and Spiders! Spiders are awesome but Spears not so much.. Its all about versatility which the Shining Spears totally lack. Also, a unit of 4 Shining Spears costs almost 200 points and only kills around 5 basic Marines on the charge (not counting shooting).

Spiders' only real downside is that you have to convert the Exarch because you really don't want to buy those powerblades... And that Surprise Assault is useless now that it grants Deep Strike and not +1A :)
Spider_wells

#5 Post by Spider_wells »

Ah, but a unit of Shining Spears can have the same firepower of a Jetbike unit, combined with higher short ranged punch if required (strength 6 laser lances), and also be really hard on the charge, are able to Withdraw away, and can also take out tanks (as you now hit them on the rear armour 10 strength 6 attacks will do it, and go for the strength 8 lance on the Exarch if you really want to bust the buggers.

I disagree that Shining Spears lack versatility, they can jump a unit of devastators in cover from behind a secure position, and eliminate them completely. They can take out monsters like Carnifexes with their multiple high strength power weapons. Yes, they only cause 5 wounds on space marines but that is 5 wounds on space marines before they can even attack, something few units can do. Give them a volley with the various heavy weapons you have in your force first and you could wipe out 10 Khorne Beserkers/Sternguard/Necrons in a turn, no probs.

Spiders are good but they have problems. They cannot crack tanks as well as before now (-1 to the roll due to AP-), and they are not that great in combat, especially compared to other aspects.

Hey, it's your army, and we all take what we feel comfortable with. multiple small units of Spiders seems a liability to me, but if your happy with it, go for it. Similarly, the lack of a dedicated hand to hand unit in an Eldar army sounds like a mistake to me.
[img]http://i26.tinypic.com/ogmfc8.jpg[/img]
Meif

#6 Post by Meif »

I edited the falcons a bit, changed shuriken cannon upgrade and shuriken cannon into a scatter laser.

To take out a carnifex, you need quite a lot of shining spears, something like 5 and that costs a crapload of points :o .
Giladis
The Merlord

#7 Post by Giladis »

I haven't played Eldar in ages (5 years at least) but I can see that your list lacks both the staying power and close range hitting power. I guess with all that manoverability you will try and keep the enemy at a comfortable distance but I don't thing you have enough bodies to do that.

Another problem are the Fire Dragons, they force you to come clores and when you do and they get into trouble you have noting to support them.

I know that most armies gear towards taking out MEQ's but against a force that goes for quantity over quality of shots you will be in big trouble.
Ramesesis

#8 Post by Ramesesis »

Them space pixies are jest pansies I tell yaa... Pansies!!!

You are with them boyz or yer ain´t playing!!!

E´RE WE GO, E´RE WE GO, E`RE WE GOOOO!!!

And now, everyone together at once...

One, two, three....

WAAAGH!!!!
Meif

#9 Post by Meif »

In the present edition of 40k, only Troops count as scoring units. The thing this list tries to do is destroying whole units in a turn so they cannot fire back.
Enginseer

Re: Eldar 1500 points

#10 Post by Enginseer »

two units of dire dragons? why? i struggle to fit one in.
Additional Generic Comment...
Bishop

Re: Eldar 1500 points

#11 Post by Bishop »

Meif wrote:Farseer Meifdrad Farsighted (HQ) @ 115 Pts
+Witchblade; Shuriken Pistol
+Ghosthelm
+Jetbike
+Runes of Witnessing
+Guide

5 Fire Dragons (Elites) @ 113 Pts
+Exarch w/Dragon's Breath Flamer & Crack Shot

5 Fire Dragons (Elites) @ 108 Pts
+Exarch w/Dragon's Breath Flamer

9 Dire Avengers (Troops) @ 307 Pts
+Exarch w/2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults & Bladestorm
+Wave Serpent @ [155] Pts
+Shuriken Cannon Upgrade
+Linked Scatter Lasers
+Vectored Engines
+Spirit Stones

+Shuriken Cannon (x1)

+Shuriken Cannon (x1)

+Shuriken Cannon (x1)

4 Warp Spiders (Fast Attack) @ 127 Pts
+Exarch w/Spinneret Rifle

5 Warp Spiders (Fast Attack) @ 110 Pts

Falcon "Loec's Laughter" (Heavy Support) @ 195 Pts
+Holo-fields
+Vectored Engines
+Spirit Stones

Falcon "Blade of Khaine" (Heavy Support) @ 195 Pts
+Holo-fields
+Vectored Engines
+Spirit Stones

Models in Army: 45
Total Army Cost: 1498

++

The main function of the farseer is to fly around, guiding units. I tried to keep him as cheap as possible. Other units fly around and shoot stuff. I'm not a fan of close combat in 40k and it kinda shows on this list. Jetbikes do jetbikey stuffs.

Any thoughts? :o
k, where to start...

The GJB squads are simply too small. Take a single GJB unit of 7 models (6 and a Warlock w/Embolden). Put the Farseer here... swap Runes to the Warding variety. (Embolden is way better then Witnessing). Take two Spears if you have the points.

Fire Dragons should be about 8 models if using a multi-functional role. So, use 8 models with DBFlamer and crack shot in a Serpent. Or else keep them to the 5-6 model count without any exarch at all.

The Falcons are a POOR transport choice for anything that wants to get REALLY close to the enemy. So, drop them and stick the Dragons in Serpents. If you are attached to the Falcons, I'd drop Vectored Engines for sure. If you wanted to use them as gun boats, you could take a couple DAVU units for them (that's 5 bare Dire Avengers [as a] Vehicle Upgrade... make the Flacon scoring).

I find the best unit size for Spiders is 8. I give the exarch dual Spiners... The best role for the Spiders is that of a mobile fire support unit.

Also, drop the chin-Cannon and Vectored Engies from the DA Serpent.
[list][img]http://www.asrai.org/nagathi/slaanesh.jpg[/img]
[b][color=violet][u]UiF Record:[/u][/color] W:22 [/b]/ L:5 / D:2 [b]Kills:241[/b][i]BG Commander[/i]
[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1459/lvl1.jpg[/img]

[u]Fantasy:[/u] [color=#FFBF00]Bretonnians - 3k[/color], [color=#FF0000]Vampire Counts - 3k[/color], [color=#FF00BF]Beast of Chaos- 1.5k[/color]
[u]40k:[/u] [color=#40FF00]Eldar - 6k[/color], [color=#800080]Dark Eldar - 3k[/color], [color=#40BFBF]Chaos Marines - 3k[/color], [color=#000000]Witchhunters- 2k[/color]
[/list]